PDA

View Full Version : My favorite horror film has always been...

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-19-2001, 01:40 AM
My two undying favorites have always been Night of the living dead (1968 + 1990 tied!) These films, hell the concept alone, was what made a connection with me and the horror genre. I have loved horror films ever since. And I have literally seen these film hundreds of times!
Anyone else? What got you into horror and why?

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

jae
01-19-2001, 01:55 AM
What got me into horror? I was never a fan of it until Halloween '99.. I was reading an article on Reel.com about all the new eurohorror coming out on DVD.. They sounded really cool so I bought 2 of them (Fascination and Shiver of the Vampires).. I didn't care for the movies that much but I started watching more horror after that.. All it took to really hook me was Nosferatu The Vampyre.. Since then I've seen probably 300 or so and am building up a nice collection of DVDs and tapes. I can't get enough of it now. I would much rather watch horror than anything else.

joltaddict
01-19-2001, 02:41 AM
Texas Chainsaw changed my whole perspective on what emotions movies could yank out of me.

Maybe because of the age I was when I saw them but TCM and Friday the 13th part 2 really got me into horror forever.

rhett
01-19-2001, 03:16 AM
Growing up in the 80's, I would obviously influenced by "the big three" slasher series, Halloween, NOES, and Friday the 13th. This is justifiable, I guess, as to why I love slasher movies to this day. It wasn't until 1995 or so, that I started watching Eurohorror, or other imports. Horror is also the genre of movies which I never get sick of watching. It's funny, I have always been big on indie pictures and films with a lot of depth, so liking horror is quite a contrast, and I receive constant bashing from my friends, but I still can not get enough horror.

Mark Relford
01-19-2001, 03:33 AM
What got me into horror?
Movies like The Children, XTRO, Maniac, The Fog, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Poltergeist, etc. hooked me for life. I've always been fascinated with morbid things and the unknown.
DeepDownTraumaHound, elite's NOTLD gets played the most out of my discs.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

[This message has been edited by Mark Relford (edited 01-18-2001).]

Dave
01-19-2001, 03:37 AM
DeepDownTraumaHound, elite's NOTLD gets played the most out of my discs.

Yeah, my Anchor Bay NOTLD 30th. Anniv. DVD gets played the most out of all my discs...

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

TobalRox
01-19-2001, 04:39 AM
Ok, I'm going to take a deep breath, because I know this is going to be a HUGE source of heated discussions but.... you see, what got me into horror believe it or not was Scream. Before you flip out, before I used to think horror was stupid and I never watched them growing up (I'm 19 to give you an idea of when I was growing up), but I kind of had a thing for comedy horror movies. I loved Army of Darkness when it came out, and then, like I said, I saw Scream, and it had enough elements in it to get me interested in trying to see more horror movies. That's probably the most embarrassing thing to admit to, but it's true. Ever since then, I have been hooked to horror movies and there is no turning back.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-19-2001, 05:49 AM
Yea, Poltergeist is one of those classics too. I've seen that one a lot, I mean a lot, too. Elite's is my most very favorite NOTLD release! What justice! it looks great!
And tobalrox, it's ok that scream got you into horror. we all have to start somewhere.
Scream was a good film if you take it for what it is, a fun, 90s horror movie.

Mark Relford
01-19-2001, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Dave:
Yeah, my Anchor Bay NOTLD 30th. Anniv. DVD gets played the most out of all my discs...

I knew it!!! Dave's a secret John "Hackmaster 2000" Russo fan! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif Wicked magazine should've quoted Dave on that one.

TobalRox, you're still one of us! (One happy, demented family!) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

TobalRox
01-19-2001, 08:39 AM
*sniff* *sniff* thanks guys, I knew you'd still love me ;-) hehe. It's what got me started, but it's far from a favorite. I'll admit I enjoy it, as well as most other horror movies I've seen, because I can be easily entertained, but I still have favorites. I will agree with everyone and say that the Elite NOTLD is amazing, as is Elite's Evil Dead... it's a shame that they've "lost the will to live." Halloween is also another favorite. I could go on, but I don't want to make it too long of a post :-)

------------------

Se7en
01-19-2001, 09:08 AM
My favorite horror movie is The Exorcist. Out of all the horror movies I've seen this one has all the elements I want in a film and them some. But the movie that got me into horror was A Nightmare On Elm Street. That Freddy, I tell ya what can you say about him? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

And I'm slowly building my horror collection since I got a dvd in late 2000. So far I got about 40 dvd's and that number goes up weekly. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif Gotta love this site, ebay, buy.com, and dvdempire.

fishhead
01-19-2001, 01:51 PM
I was sort of weaned on horror. When I was young, my parents would take me to horror films that they wanted to see. They were always questioning me if I were bothered by them and my answer was always "no". Later, my mother became way too bothered so the trips to the theater stopped. However, the seed was planted.

I really can't point to any particular movie that got me started on horror. I can say though, that Peter Jackson's works really made an impression (ok, I'll admit I go on and on about it sometimes) and my favorite is still Bad Taste. But I also watch Dellamorte Dellamore a whole lot...

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

AceRimRat
01-19-2001, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:

I knew it!!! Dave's a secret John "Hackmaster 2000" Russo fan! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif Wicked magazine should've quoted Dave on that one.

Please, God, don't let it be true. What next, "Dave's Salute to Scream"? (No offense, Tobal...) Or maybe "Django's Tin-o-mania"?

Oh, the humanity. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Mark Relford
01-20-2001, 05:06 AM
Ace, that's some funny ass shit! LOL!

------------------

momylitlemonster
01-21-2001, 02:37 AM
my fav will always be evil dead!! I guess I got started because of my father. He always went to Erol's(bought by Blockbuster in the earlier 80's)and brought home Don't go in the Woods, Blood Beach, The Exorcist, Amittyville Horror, Gates of Hell, etc...I think it was his way of seeing nudity without my mother screaming at him. I just liked all the blood and death. It became funny to me. Now I just can't stop watching them good, bad, silly, or violent-I'm addicted!!!

TobalRox
01-21-2001, 09:03 AM
While watching Bordello of Blood on DVD tonight with a bunch of my friends in my dorm room it made me remember, there were other movies that got me started with horror. It was all the same year that I had seen Scream, Bordello of Blood, and Frighteners all in the theater, and i went because they seemed to have more humor involved in them, so I'd have to say that they all played an equal part in getting me to watch horror movies. I also loved to watch the show Tales from teh Crypt all the time when they had the edited episodes on Fox (with the exception of the Robert Zemekis DVD, I haven't seen any uncut, unfortunately).

------------------

Reefer
01-21-2001, 11:16 AM
Zombie Flesh Eaters.

I saw this when I was 12 and it got me hooked. What better introduction to the world of horror than that!

Soon followed Evil Dead, The Exorcist, Xtro, Cannibal Ferox - the list goes on and on! I remember my interest dying for about 3 or 4 years but all of a sudden, I found myself tracking these films down on video, like I had a mission of some kind.

Here I am now, collecting again on DVD - DEJA VU!!!!

napalm68
01-21-2001, 11:43 AM
My number one would have to be John Carpenter's The Thing. Probably one of the first real horror films I saw, and with the advent of DVD, I can appreciate his film making techniques and proficiency as well. I can see why the French think of him an Autuer... Alien would have to be a close second...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Jamm
01-21-2001, 04:04 PM
I know I've said it before, and the film so so hysterically funny every time I watch it, but when I was a small child I saw "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" on Chiller Theater on TV. The comical script, acting, and wardrobe escaped me then, but I'll always remember how terrified I was when the dead started crawling up from their graves! "Fright Night" has now become a favorite (Charlie is watching "Children" while spying on the vampire next door), as has "Idle Hands" (there's a shot on TV of the famouse six fingered hand from the old Chiller Theater).

Vdlman
01-21-2001, 04:47 PM
My number one favorite has always been the original Night of the Living Dead. It's one of the reasons I've become the horror fan I am today.

DVD Connoisseur
01-21-2001, 05:03 PM
The Exorcist. It's the only horror movie that my parents didn't want me to watch until I was 18! (This is after stuff like Last House on the Left at the age of 13 so I knew at a young age that The Exorcist must be disturbing!)

The video of The Exorcist used to be banned in the UK so I finally caught it when the local Warners Bros multiplex opened in 1987 and it was the Saturday Night Special. Despite me knowing all about the film in advance and having read the book, it still frightened me on a deep level. (I'd just watched a real exorcism on Sky 1 news after the Catholic church had allowed an exorcism to be filled by ABC so I was ready to be frightened. Also, I knew of an exorcism that had occurred locally.)

I have the new version on DVD but still haven't viewed it. This is for 2 reasons:

a) The Exorcist always gives me the collywobbles

b) I'm worried that the new version might spoil what is, at the end of the day, the Godfather of horror movies.

[This message has been edited by DVD Connoisseur (edited 01-21-2001).]

Oogie Boogie
01-21-2001, 08:17 PM
Mine have been Texas Chiansaw Massacre and Evil Dead! these movie got me started back when I was like 13! I love to be scared and these movies really ARE scary, so when I was young they freaked me out, and sparked an addiction to them. I love the horror genre!

------------------
"Angel to some, demon to others"

roger_d
01-23-2001, 06:53 AM
For me it was the Hammer movies when i was younger but then Freddy came along and got me going again.