PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite modern horror film?

Plexzol87
02-24-2002, 03:41 PM
I didn't put Army of Darkness or Dead Alive on there because they were early 90's and were very pure, and old school horror.
Also because everyone would pick them.
I would vote Army of Darkness!
So thats why it's not there.

Yowie
02-24-2002, 07:04 PM
"The Frighteners" got my vote. I thought it was decent, despite tons of CGI effects, but Combs and Alverado were great. I'm kind of anti CGI, but I realize of course they couldn't have made the movie this way without it. They could've tried of course, but I think the reason that movie got made at all was because technology allowed it now. As a matter of fact, I usually try to stay away from modern horror, especially those made in the last 10-15 years or so. Honest !. Like a snake I make an effort to avoid them. Take the overrated "Scream", it brought nothing good with it in its wake. (-Of which something like "Valentine" must rank as one of the better ones.) Obviously, teen slashers are not the only types of modern horror movies out there, but personally I miss good acting, more emphasis on atmosphere and less fireworks, i.e.; a leisurely paced suggestive horror movie. -They're a rare breed these days, if they aren't extinct already. CGI is everywhere now, even when you think it isn't there, it's there somewhere. -Pure hell on earth to an oldfashioned horror fan like me, it is.

Cujo108
02-25-2002, 01:53 AM
I chose The Blair Witch Project. It is a new classic in my book, and is the only film to ever scare me.

slinker
02-25-2002, 07:34 AM
I second that! ;)

Peter Vincent
02-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Lots 'o' good choices Plexzol (no fair :( ). but I ended up choosing the new House On Haunted Hill! Similarly to Frightners it had too many elements of CGI, but it was a good time at the movie nontheless!

Meanie
02-25-2002, 02:36 PM
My vote goes to 'Blair Witch Project' (a new Classic), then followed by Frighteners, From Dusk to Dawn and House on Haunted Hill.
I also thought the Tales from the Crypt movies were ok.
Wasn't there supposed be a third Tales from the Crypt movie supposed to of come out a couple of years ago?

Peter Vincent
02-25-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Meanie
....Wasn't there supposed be a third Tales from the Crypt movie supposed to of come out a couple of years ago?

Can't hold a torch to this, but supposedly The Frighteners WAS going to be a 'Crypt' movie (it was produced by Zemeckis...as if U didn't know). I think the series on HBO was on the verge of being "done with" so they just released Frighteners as a stand alone (thank God).

rhett
02-25-2002, 07:20 PM
I voted From Dusk Till Dawn, but should have went with The Blair Witch Project. BWP is a classic, but I've rewatched FDTD much more so it deserves my vote.

Cool poll, plex!

Jamm
02-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Of all the films listed, I got the most enjoyment from H2O. I'm probably going to catch shit for saying this, but I thought it was very well done on all levels.

DavidHess
02-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Maybe not modern enough, but I think it pays off.

skinnypuppy6
02-25-2002, 11:44 PM
seven was the only decent one on the list

Mark Relford
02-26-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Meanie
Wasn't there supposed be a third Tales from the Crypt movie supposed to of come out a couple of years ago?

Yep, it's called Revelation or Ritual.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0250698

Another vote for BWP. Closely followed by Seven and From Dusk Till Dawn. I also enjoyed Species, Demon Knight, and Deep Blue Sea.

BlazingMagnum
03-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Seven was okay - The Frighteners was just about passable.

The others didn't even come close to anything at all.

Trout
03-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford

Yep, it's called Revelation or Ritual.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0250698

Another vote for BWP. Closely followed by Seven and From Dusk Till Dawn. I also enjoyed Species, Demon Knight, and Deep Blue Sea.

I thought it was called Fat Tuesday or something like that. I went with Demon Knight only because The Relic was missing.

RabidFulci
03-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Well I'm not sure I'm really gonna go for any of the choices above, so I'm gonna say ---"The Revenge of Frankenstein(1958)"