PDA

View Full Version : Best David Lynch film

Cujo108
02-28-2002, 01:35 AM
Lynch is second only to Cronenberg when it comes to my favorite directors. Thus, this poll was born. What do you think is David Lynch's absolute best film? I adore every film he's done. Well, not Dune, but I'm starting to appreciate it more. That said, I voted for Mulholland Dr. Its just mesmerizing, and is #2 on my all time favorites list. The runners-up are Lost Highway and Wild at Heart (though this goes back and forth with Blue Velvet). What is your pick?

Hellbilly
02-28-2002, 04:33 AM
Blue Velvet!

slinker
02-28-2002, 08:17 AM
Im gonna go for `Mulholland Drive` but only because its fresh in my mind, David Lynch is probably my favorite director so this poll is very difficult for me...if i had to shortlist then it would be
Mulholland drive
Fire Walk With Me
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway...all on the same par!!
`in fact im in your house right now!` ....`thats fucking crazy man!
` :D :D you said it

Mark Relford
02-28-2002, 04:49 PM
I went with my personal favorite, Blue Velvet. Lost Highway, The Elephant Man, and Eraserhead would be next.
I never cared for Twin Peaks. (Please, don't hit me!):D
Can't wait to see Mulholland Drive!

rhett
02-28-2002, 05:34 PM
I like when he experiments, but to me his best films are the ones grounded in some sort of manageable linearity. THE ELEPHANT MAN is my favorite, for focusing the beautiful black and white expressionism of ERASERHEAD into a moving and sad story.

bwana the clown
02-04-2003, 09:01 AM
No question about it - Blue Velvet easily wins for me.

By the way, am I the only one who hated Mulholland??? :nervous:

DefJeff
02-04-2003, 09:19 AM
seeing as tho ive only seen The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr. i voted for Mulholland which was the easy choice. fucking amazing flick

mcchrist
02-04-2003, 09:41 AM
Dune

onebyone
02-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Tough tough. I loved Fire Walk with me and Lost Highway and most of the others, but I got to go with Wild at Heart. I could watch it all day, and probably would if they would release a dvd already.

John
02-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Mulholland Drive here. I amhoping there are some Straight Story fans out there as well. I feel that movie is underrated.

agentc
02-04-2003, 02:13 PM
God, now this is difficult! I went with Mullholland Dri, only cos it's the most recent, I like all of em except Dune maybe.

Eddie Quist
02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
It came down to ERASERHEAD or MULHOLLAND DRIVE for me, and I went with MD.

It's probably my favorite film of the last few years. You'd have to go back to movies like SUNSET BLVD. to find such a haunting movie about fame and Hollywood.

BLUE VELVET would probably be #3.... Great poll, Cujo! :)

KillerCannabis
02-06-2003, 10:06 PM
CLOSE call between Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet, but in the end, it had to be Blue Velvet. That's not only my favorite Lynch film, but also one of my favorite films of all time. Maybe it's Hopper's Frank Booth that did it for me, but that movie is just flawless IMO.

life_o_petey
02-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Twin Peaks. a great show, and one of my favorite movies.

slasher vorhees
03-12-2003, 06:02 AM
mulholand drive all the way since its the only movie ive seen of his
:lol:

Rock
03-12-2003, 03:46 PM
MULHOLLAND DR?! No friggin' way...wish I could have back the 2-1/2 hours plus of my life I wasted on this piece of crap...gimme THE STRAIGHT STORY anyday...

moogong
03-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Mulholland Drive kicked ass. Naomi Watts is amazing.

indiephantom
08-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Impossible choice. I went with TWIN PEAKS even though I think David did his best work on the series, that film just always sucks me in. It's so unconventional and I love the subtle ways it reworks elements of the series into something more melancholy and rough around the edges.

Also have to chime in that I love every film on the list. Just watched LOST HIGHWAY again, and it always entertains and puzzles. Lynch is a true original.

walkingdude
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Wild at Heart followed very closely by Blue Velvet.Two of my favorites.

Myron Breck
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
WILD AT HEART, hands down winner for me. I saw it five times at the theater and have watched my DVD almost as many times. It's kooky and silly and violent and disturbing...will I ever tire of this wonderful film?!?!

Damage
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Wild at Heart for me, though I love `em all.

"My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from The Wizard of Oz. But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!"

4Gotten1
08-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Blue Velvet

thrashard76
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Wild at Heart
Blue Velvet

SaviniFan
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Missed this one. Blue Velvet for me with Wild at Heart a close second.

allmessedup
08-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Qualitywise, I think THE ELEPHANT MAN is his best film, although my personal favorite is probably BLUE VELVET--that movie is a classic.

I like all of them except DUNE and MULLHOLLAND DR. THE STRAIGHT STORY was a really wonderful movie too.

maskull
09-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Blue Velvet followed by Wild at Heart.

Dune I hated/was bored by when I was a kid, but I watched it a bit back and it's definitely gotten better with age.

RyanPC
09-02-2005, 02:30 AM
I haven't seen all the movies on that list but so far I'd have to say Blue Velvet. I didn't like any of the others I've seen (Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Dr., Eraserhead).

Myron Breck
09-02-2005, 03:03 AM
I haven't seen all the movies on that list but so far I'd have to say Blue Velvet. I didn't like any of the others I've seen (Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Dr., Eraserhead).

Then you should at least give WILD AT HEART a shot now that it's out on DVD.

PMcG_6
09-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Blue Velvet for me. Lynch is one of my faves so iot was hard to pick. Mulholland Dr. was great and I've seen Dune a million times. Good shite.

Mok
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Lost Highway

dwatts
09-29-2005, 07:15 PM
I went with Blue Velvet. Elephant Man is brilliant, but it's also the least like a Lynch film, it's much more mainstream. I generally don't go into a Lynch film hoping for that.

Grim
12-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Just found this poll while searching for a thread on the Elephant Man. My favorite film is still Blue Velvet. Anywho, back to the Elephant Man. I just bought it on DVD and it is my first time seeing it in several years. I'll be damned if it isn't one of the most heart-wrenchingly sad movies I've ever seen. It's not Lynch's best, but it's number 2 on my list of Lynch films and would probably even rank in my top 20.

life_o_petey
12-07-2005, 07:25 AM
i'm taking a class on Lynch and Almodovar next semester. and possibly a class on Cronenberg if it gets approved. That's right, envy me.

i assume i picked Twin Peaks when i voted, but if not, that's my favorite now.

David Lo Pan
12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Having seen them all and loved them all my favorite remains Lost Highway. However, I believe his best works are Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, while Eraserhead (which gets my vote) is less accessible yet more impressive.

Mulholland Dr. Its just mesmerizing, and is #2 on my all time favorites list.

Which is your #1 all time favorite?

KamuiX
12-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Lynch is my favorite living director, and Blue Velvet is my all-time favorite film. Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead follow, but I personally don't dislike any of his work. My least favorite of his films is Dune, but even that clearly has some merit. His depiction of Baron Harkonnen is fantastic.

satans-sadists
07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Blue Velvet: the first Lynch movie I ever saw and longtime personal favorite. Dennis Hopper, Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dean Stockwell, Laura Dern, and Jack Nance are all superb in their roles!

I would probably rank Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, and Mulholland Drive next.

Anaestheus
07-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Overall, I'd say the first season of Twin Peaks was the best thing he's ever done.

But, I swear to god, with no irony or sarcasm, "Dune" is the only one of his films that I find myself watching repeatedly.

While I do think that his films are gorgeous to look at, and I can see why other people like them so much, I just feel something smug and condescending in most of his stuff. As if he were saying "I am too smart and deep for you to understand. I just dare you to figure this out."

j tea
07-31-2007, 10:37 PM
what about "inland empire"?

Rockmjd
08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
The Elephant Man

VenicuS
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
"Wild at Heart" is the top Lynch flick for me. It proves that Nicholas Cage actually could act once upon a time, and I love Willem Dafoe's character. But for sheer "bizarre", I'll go with "Eraserhead".

adric
08-04-2007, 11:50 PM
well eraserhead since its one of my favorite movies of all time. but next wouldve been inland empire which isnt on the list. inland just seemed to build on what mulholland drive started and turned out a total mindfuck. and i loved it

Darga
08-05-2007, 02:40 AM
It's hard to pick between Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, but I went with Wild Heart just for Bobby Peru........

Erick H.
08-05-2007, 04:07 AM
THE ELEPHANT MAN is his most mature film in my opinion,then BLUE VELVET.

maybrick
12-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Revisited Mulholland Drive for the first time tonight since the theatrical movie was new and I thought it was an absolute mess. But then, I'm a bit prejudiced since the first time I saw the film it was in it's original TV pilot format. The seams where Lynch took an unfinished product and tacked on a rather incongruous ending in order to give it some kind of closure is just too much for me to ignore. This movie doesn't have any point or hidden meaning to it, it's sole reason for existing is because David Lynch didn't want to waste the time and film he spent in producing it. But if people really find Mulholland Drive his best work then I can't argue with it. I just don't think he really put all that much thought into it, is all.

ReelFear
12-25-2009, 07:16 PM
why was INLAND EMPIRE left off the list? It's my least favorite, but still.....

my vote goes to BLUE VELVET for best Lynch film.....

maybrick
12-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Check the dates. This thread began in 2002, well before Inland Empire.

shape22
12-26-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm really not a fan of Lynch. I enjoy Blue Velvet, mostly for Hopper, and that's about it. I get a smug, pseudo-intellectual, pretentious vibe from most of his work too.

CPT HOOK
12-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Definitely Blue Velvet.

I love Twin Peaks, but never really cared for Fire Walk With Me

Grim
12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm really not a fan of Lynch. I enjoy Blue Velvet, mostly for Hopper, and that's about it. I get a smug, pseudo-intellectual, pretentious vibe from most of his work too.

I would disagree, respectfully. His stuff just comes off as weird to me, but I mean that in the most affectionate way possible. He also comes off as incredibly humble in interviews and readily admits how weird he is and the inaccessible nature of some of his stuff.

It's been awhile, but my favorites of his are probably his most commercial. Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, and the Elephant Man.

evildeadfan123
12-28-2009, 12:48 AM
It was between Elephant Man and Dune. I went with Dune. Elephant was a closed 2nd.

fattyjoe37
12-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Blue Velvet is my favorite. I like to check out all of his films, but prefer the ones with a more cohesive story such as Velvet, Wild at Heart, and Elephant Man.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Right now, I'm inclined toward Lost Highway. But I haven't seen Mulholland Drive yet. I have a feeling that might be his really great movie.

mtorriero
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Blue Velvet!! Can we talk characters???

DVD-fanatic-9
01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know, but I think I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Dobby
02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me watched it many times.

CCF
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Blue velvet is my fav, first one I saw from "if you ask me" one of the best filmmakers ever.
Second best would be Eraserhead, then Wild at heart and Mulholland drive.

I think Dune is ok, but hate Straight story and Inland empire. Thought Inland was a bit to much and Straigth story like a disney movie. I heard he stopped doing movies?
Its a shame. Remember that rumour of him doing the nigthmare on elmstreet remake?
How wierd would that be? HAHAHA

Spit
02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I find Dune to be the most rewatchable, and defiantly get the more use out of that dvd then any other of Lynch films. So I voted for that. I see lots of love for Blue Velvet on here and I can't say I blame you guys its an awesome film.

deepred
07-22-2010, 04:54 PM
First of all, I love David Lynch! I would say Elephant Man is his best but as far as my personal favorite - that honor goes to Mulholland Drive.

I am actually almost finished with Twin Peaks (the tv series) - I received the gold box for christmas when it first came out but never got around to watching the entire thing. I remember the 1st time I rented Twin Peaks at Hollywood Video and I put the DVD in with such excitement but it was the old DVD and it said "previously on Twin Peaks" and at 1st I thought - maybe this is David Lynch being weird and throwing the viewer off. LOL

Once, I realized it was missing the pilot I had no desire to really get into it as it seems stupid to watch anything without the pilot. Now, I have 7 more episodes left with the gold box and then I'll be finished. The scene where Maddy is attacked was amazing and chilling!!!

It's funny how the quality dropped so fast after Laura Palmer's murder was resolved. But, it's starting to pick up steam again. I particulary like the post-LP episode with the shoot out with Cooper and David Duchovny in drag, when Nadine attacks Hank, and Leo wakes up. Too bad ABC killed it by changing it's time slots frequently.

After I finish the 7 episodes, I will be checking out Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I also haven't seen Dune or Lost Highway.

TheDreamMaster
07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Blue Velvet, but Mulholland Drive is really close.