PDA

View Full Version : Ok got Prom Night DVD...

Joel Groce
03-03-2002, 10:28 AM
I know I've kinda ragged on this one a little in the past, but I've a definite weakness for old school slashers and their cheesy charms (I know Rhett shares this sentiment) and this one is out of print...so I picked it up. Now I understand if I had better equipment that I would have really seen a shitty transfer - I had the sound turned down but did notice some inconsistency here. Good points about the film were the soft lighting that was used to film it giving it a certain pleasing dreamy quality and the creepy music score (Carl Zittrer from "Black Christmas", I believe). I also loved the "red herring" janitor who looked wonderfully seedy and perverted changing lightbulbs or what-have-you around the "girl's change room"(hehe). Also noticed some Argento flair with the killing of the first girl in the basement where he wraps his black-gloved hand around her mouth and slits her throat while whispering in her ear and in the creepy phone calls towards the beginning. It just needed a little more mayhem spread more evenly through the film rather than just in the last 30 min or so. Well perhaps they will revisit this for better picture and sound and stuff - I really envy all you chaps with quality home theater.

rhett
03-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Like I have said before, this film has always been a favorite. A while back DVDfile had reported that there would be an SE, but AB has denied this ever since. As far as I am concerned, this is probably one of their "biggest" titles that still hasn't seen the light of day in SE form and AB is just losing money by not doing anything about it.

I like the Argento connection you made Joel, and the red herrings are pretty well done, and I myself never knew it who was the killer the first time I saw it (at the tender age of about 8). The disco scene almost makes the entire film though, too classic!

Andrew
03-06-2002, 03:21 AM
I didn't like Prom Night when I saw it, but it deserves a second watch. I guessed the killer about 25 minutes in :D. The janitor almost had me change my vote, but I stuck with my choice, and I was 12.:)

Joel Groce
03-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks Rhett! ...and yes Andrew I would definitely give this one a second spin - there is something nostalgic happening here. I remember seeing the ad for the flick when it came out and of course declared that I wanted to see it. My mom said it was "garbage" and of course I was 9 so I was screwed. Now if only someone would get off their arses and release "Terror Train" I could sleep in peace.

rhett
03-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Believe me, I've tried convincing Fox that a Terror Train DVD is in need. Over at the Home Theater Forum me and a friend were able to get over 150 posts regarding Terror Train, hoping that VP of Marketing and Public Relations for Fox, Peter Staddon would respond. After over six months, still no response :(

Joel Groce
03-07-2002, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I remember signing that post at HTF. May be it would be good to resurrect this issue when "The Fog" comes out later this year.