PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay Hammer aspect ratios

Behemoth
03-03-2002, 11:12 AM
I read somewhere on the internet (sorry, don't remember the link) that Anchor Bay's DVD of Horror of Frankenstein is missing a lot of picture information, even though the 1:85 aspect ratio is identical with the original aspect ratio. Several people argued that the AB release had used an already cropped pan&scan image (with picture information cut from the sides) and then cropped this again at top and bottom to get it 1.85:1! Does anyone have an old VHS version of this film so that they can compare it? I think someone mentioned that the same had been done with the Lust for a Vampire DVD...

Yowie
03-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Sure sounds strange, hope it's just some drunk talking nonsense. I bought them recently (together with "...Sister Hyde") and I thought the picture looked o.k., but then again I must admit I haven't watched them all the way through yet. Let's all check our old VHS versions (if we can find them).

maybrick
03-03-2002, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure about Horror of Frankenstein, but I have the Lumiere VHS editions of Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde and Lust for a Vampire and it's true that both have more picture at the top and bottom (open matte). No info from side to side is lost, and I haven't seen any evidence that any of them were taken from P&S source material. The framing looks better to me on Anchor Bay's DVD in widescreen and any image that is lost is more than made up for by the increase in picture quality. The lumiere's are very washed out.

Behemoth
03-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Sorry! I was wrong, I meant "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde" and not "Horror of Frankenstein"... :o I found the link too:

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1013

Yowie
03-04-2002, 09:38 PM
Hmm, is there really something rotten in the bay ?. :confused: -And I thought those DVDs looked so good. Well they do look good, but if they're cropped it's not so good. I'm really confused now !.