PDA

View Full Version : Oh the pain


Dave
03-09-2002, 04:13 AM
<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1523459746">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1523459746</A>

Had to do it. Need the $ - buying a Crown Victoria in a few weeks. Hate to see it go. :(

Maybe I'll be lucky and no one will bid. I did set the start price at $200

Choptop
03-09-2002, 04:17 AM
I feel your pain Dave, I did the same thing a while back :(
I got a pretty penny for it though, I think it was upwards of $350, I really dont remember.

I *REALLY* miss this set, Id sell my soul for Universal to port this to DVD.

Dave
03-09-2002, 04:43 AM
One sold a few weeks ago for $240, but he didn't have all the window dressing that I put on the auction.

I'm hoping at least $250.

But hey, S-VHS VCR+LD Player+Frighteners SET=content dave. :D Nuff said.

jscott
03-09-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Dave

But hey, S-VHS VCR+LD Player+Frighteners SET=content dave. :D Nuff said.

I've always wondered, is S-VHS noticably better than standard HI FI VHS?

Shannafey
03-10-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by jscott


I've always wondered, is S-VHS noticably better than standard HI FI VHS?

HI FI only relates to the sound, SVHS does record in stereo, and superbly, might I add, and as far as video quality, it is leaps and bounds above VHS. It is a prosumer level format and is used for a lot of corporate level video production. Anything I want to keep off TV, in a high quality, I still use SVHS. If I just want to keep it, but don't have to be as anal about quality, I tape in off the air on SVHS and dump it in my computer and burn to vcd. I have made some dubs of DVDs as well, and they look excellent. I taped Ginger Snaps off DVD when I rented it, to hold me over until I eventually get the Canadian DVD. I am a video producer, and for a while I did freelance work, with which I shot with a JVC professional SVHS camera. I bought it for my own work. I edited in digital on a Mac or on Beta and the results were beautiful!!

MISFITZ
03-11-2002, 05:02 PM
It is a prosumer level format and is used for a lot of corporate level video production.

It WAS a prosumer level format. Back when 3/4 tapes were still being used.

Three years ago it was near impossible to find a tv company that would take a 3/4 tape, let alone an S-VHS. (though S-VHS can actually be better than 3/4) Some college cities or 'local' WB/UPN stations MAY still use 3/4 tape, but that's kinda sad. And the only time i touched S-VHS was waaaayyyyy back in the days when you needed a TV shoot and had to call a friend. LOL!!!

I guess I shouldn't say 'poor' companies, cuz a lot of churches I've heard use them. I'd actually be shocked to hear S-VHS is still a commodity in the vidoe business. I mean, with the price of DV so low now.

But it still is A LOT better than regular VHS. But don't make the mistake 'consumers' did. You can't get an S-VHS and throw it in an ordinary VCR and expect the same quality. For one, it probably won't play.

MISFITZ
03-11-2002, 05:06 PM
BTW, read your feedback Dave!! ;) Hilarious!!!

Shannafey
03-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ


It WAS a prosumer level format. Back when 3/4 tapes were still being used.

Three years ago it was near impossible to find a tv company that would take a 3/4 tape, let alone an S-VHS. (though S-VHS can actually be better than 3/4)

It is a lot better than 3/4", MISFITZ. It is a component format whereas 3/4" is composite. Also, 240 lines for 3/4" and 400 for SVHS. I agree though, not many would want to hold on to their gear much longer. I sold my rig last year while I could still make money on it. I only shoot in DV or Beta now. I still use only svhs at home though. That should change in the future as tivos and dvdrs get cheaper.

MISFITZ
03-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, (AND I very well could be) but didn't sound going into a S-VHS go through RCA (unbalanced) wires and 3/4 machines used XLR (balanced) wires?

I'm not being a smart ass or anything, that really is a question and not a smart ass remark. I don't remember S-VHS machines having XLR connections. That may be one reason why, even though S-VHS did have CAPABILITIES to show better video than 3/4, that 3/4 was still found more at TV stations.

Like I said, I'm truly asking. Since you can't hear my tone of voice I don't want it to come off wrong.

Shannafey
03-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ
Correct me if i'm wrong, (AND I very well could be) but didn't sound going into a S-VHS go through RCA (unbalanced) wires and 3/4 machines used XLR (balanced) wires?

I'm not being a smart ass or anything, that really is a question and not a smart ass remark. I don't remember S-VHS machines having XLR connections. That may be one reason why, even though S-VHS did have CAPABILITIES to show better video than 3/4, that 3/4 was still found more at TV stations.

Like I said, I'm truly asking. Since you can't hear my tone of voice I don't want it to come off wrong.

MISFITZ,
I think the higher end (editing decks) did have XLR in an out. I never edited in the format. My camera, the JVC GYX2B, had XLR ins. I would shoot on svhs and then dump it in an AVID or transfer to Beta sp.
SH