PDA

View Full Version : "Maniac" is a gem!!!

Joel Groce
03-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Just saw "Maniac" at long last and really dug it!!! I was hesitant to rent it from all the negative commentary I had heard, but it is a really effective film - right now I'm listening to the soundtrack and it is great! I love all those gritty New York street scenes - my favorite has to be the scene with the nurse - there is one point where the camera pulls in on her face, very quickly closer and closer that I have never seen anyone do and it is really effective. She really looked frightened - no bullshit acting here! I will have to pick up the box, instead of just the single disc.

Man, sorry for being really naive, but I had no idea that Spinell was the dispatcher in "Taxi Driver" and in the Godfather movies. I fucking love "Taxi Driver" and thought Spinell looked familiar, but...:cool:

I also love the letters they included in the extras from the "Gallery of Outrage" or whatever - the letter from the movie review board in the Phillippines was priceless - the gall these fucks have to decide what is right for me and you.

mutleyhyde
03-11-2002, 02:05 AM
:) It's testimony like that that makes me shed tears of joy. Glad you didn't let popular opinion sway you and finally got around to watching one of my all time favorite films Joel.

Mark Relford
03-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Yea, it's a great slasher. I actually felt some sympathy for Spinell's character. His performance makes the movie.

DefJeff
03-11-2002, 03:38 AM
this movies in my top 10 best. i love it.
my favorite scene is when he has the ski mask on in that ladies apartment... scaryyyyyyy

rhett
03-11-2002, 03:45 AM
It is a really great film, along the lines of Requiem For A Dream, where you watch it and agree that it is a fabulous film, but due to the depressing nature repeat viewings are always hesitant. I really think it is a shame that it was bashed by critics when it was released because it is actually a slasher film with a social message rather than just mindless deaths. Definitely Spinell's signature performance, and definitely the best head explosion scene since Scanners :D

Joel Groce
03-11-2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mutley!!! I agree Mark, Spinell's character did evoke sympathy - he really is IN HELL. And those mannequins were so CREEPY in his claustrophic apartment.

I know the box has been out for awhile - would it be pretty hard to find - I REALLY like this soundtrack!

DefJeff
03-11-2002, 09:37 PM
ive only seen the tin ONCE and it was at Tower Records, and it was real expensive (msrp i think, 39.99)... i love the soudntrack too, especially that "goin to a showdown" song, but i didnt wanna pay that much for the tin.. im surprised it never showed up at Best Buy, FYE or Media Play around me....

Zandri
03-12-2002, 12:00 AM
I not sure if you'll find the Maniac:LE tin from an e-tailer or store, i bought mine through a collector on Amazon Marketplace, for $54US or something stupid like that :rolleyes:

mutleyhyde
03-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
... i love the soudntrack too, especially that "goin to a showdown" song, but i didnt wanna pay that much for the tin.. im surprised it never showed up at Best Buy, FYE or Media Play around me....

Unfortunately Jeff, the Showdown song is not on the cd. :(
I searched around for a while, trying to get it on a mp3, but never could find it. I did at one point have the group name, as is in the end credits on the film, but searching for them turned nothing up online. :(

Joel, I see the tin here and there from time to time. Keep lookin', and I'll let you know if I come across one myself. Good luck.

mutleyhyde
03-12-2002, 02:05 AM
Just did a little search. The name of the group was Kaegi, as was discussed in this thread...
http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3856&highlight=maniac+soundtrack

DefJeff
03-12-2002, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
Just did a little search. The name of the group was Kaegi, as was discussed in this thread...
http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3856&highlight=maniac+soundtrack

haha, i was the one that originally started that thread ;)

DVD Connoisseur
03-16-2002, 07:57 PM
...call it a slasher pic is doing the film a disservice.

As somebody declared here before, it could well be "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies"! The acting by the late Spinell is frighteningly real....the torment of the central character seperates this film from the common herd of '80s kill-fests.

The scene in the train station ranks among the most tension filled scenes I've ever sat through.

Shame Lustig's Vigilante didn't deliver the goods.....