PDA

View Full Version : Universal Classic Monsters... going on moratorium?? Can we get a confirm Dave?

mutleyhyde
03-13-2002, 07:21 AM
Apparently Tim Lucas of VideoWatchdog (yes, the digest magazine) posted this over at Moebius...

Today I received the following advisory from a friend who works in a video store:

Please note that effective March 18th, the following Universal DVD product will be placed on moratorium:

* Bride of Frankenstein (20632)
* Creature from the Black Lagoon (20760)
* Dracula (20324)
* Frankenstein (20325)
* The Invisible Man (20766)
* The Mummy (1932) (20327)
* Phantom of the Opera (1943) (20767)
* The Wolf Man (20331)
* Classic Monsters: The Definitive Collection (21467)
* The Classic Monster Collection (20786)
* Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula Double Feature (21398)
* The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein Double Feature
(21404)
* Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein Double Feature
(21401)
* The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse Double Feature (21405)
* The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb Double Feature (21407)
* Werewolf of London/She-Wolf of London Double Feature (21410)

What this means, in a nutshell, is that stores will not be able to reorder these titles past that date -- and bow that this word has gotten out, there will probably be a run on existing supplies, by people buying for themselves and by others with an eye toward reselling them as rarities.

So buy now, or cry when you buy from eBay later!

I checked out the users profile at Moebius, and the email address matches that at VideoWatchdog's site (http://www.cinemaweb.com/videowd/new.html), so I'm pretty sure it's the Tim Lucas, and he's not just crying wolf.

Now, I'm fairly sure that Universal wouldn't put these on moratorium indefinitely, and would bet money that they're gearing up for both a price reduction and a box set, but it would damn sure be nice to know for sure before March 18th rolls around.

Dave, can you find anything out for us? And if anybody else get's wind of any pertinent info, please post it, with links if you can.

Thanks.

mutleyhyde
03-13-2002, 07:24 AM
Oops, askin' for links and here I go forgettin' to post mine. Tim Lucas' Moebius thread... (http://mhvf.net/forum/scifihorror/posts/124229336.html)

Dave
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
I just emailed my Universal contacts. I'll let you know what they say, if anything. Sometimes it's a "can't comment" response.

Peter Vincent
03-13-2002, 01:58 PM
I always considered picking these up! If this is true, I won't think again & just grab 'em!

Anyone know anywhere online that these can be picked up for a cheapy price???

mutleyhyde
03-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks Dave. :)

Peter, it "looks" like Digital Eyes is cheapest, but when you bring shipping charges into it, DVDPlanet is the cheapest. They beat DeepDiscountDVD on these, even with DDDs free shipping. But do your own research at www.dvdpricesearch.com... you never know, I could have missed something.

I need all of the double features, and the Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy. Damn this is hard not just going ahead and ordering them, but I am soooo suspicious that we'll see a cheap box set and a price reduction on the individual discs.

gusse
03-13-2002, 02:23 PM
I have been thinking about buying a bunch of universal's classic monster movies for some time and allmost fellt panic when I red your post. Went straight over to dv-depot.com and added the 8disc Classic Monsters box to my flexi. Hopefully there'll be some information about whats going on soon and then I'll know if i "have" to buy the movies now or if i can wait a little more. ;)

BTW. What's the differense between
* Classic Monsters: The Definitive Collection (21467)
* The Classic Monster Collection (20786)
?

The box I added to my flexi includes the following titles:
"Dracula" (1931, 75 min)
"Frankenstein" (1931, 71 min.)
"The Mummy" (1932, 74 min.)
"The Invisible Man" (1933, 71 min.)
"The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935, 75 min.)
"The Wolf Man" (1941, 70 min.)
"The Phantom of the Opera" (1943, 93 min.)
"The Creature from the Black Lagoon" (1954, 79 min.).

mutleyhyde
03-13-2002, 02:54 PM
Gusse, the Definitive Collection only has three movies; Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man. Not very definitive in my book. Skip that and go for the original box.

MISFITZ
03-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Well, I can honestly say if you are a fan of 'horror' you should pick these up. Most people will find them boring, judging by comments you hear now a days. (The exorcist was funny???)

But they are the roots of horror invading the movie scene.

I'm not too concerned over the date. Mainly because I own all of them already! :p And if they re-release another set, i could care less. I am VERY happy with the job Universal did with these disc and find them to be complete. My fav outta the bunch above is easily the creature from the black lagoon, followed by Bride of Frank. I wish Universal would have dropped more still. I would have LOVED to have a 3-pk of Creature from the black lagoon, Revenge of the Creature, and the Creature walks among us.

Either way, snag em while you can. But I also think they will appear again.

DVDBone
03-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Image's website (www.image-entertainment.com) is now listing all these as discontinued. Hopefully, Universal will be re-releasing them shortly at lower MSRPs. Otherwise, I better run out and pick up all the 2-packs to complete my collection.

Dave
03-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Yes, this info. is true. My Universal contact confirmed it.

Peter Vincent
03-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Yes, this info. is true. My Universal contact confirmed it.

Oh shit! Time to get on the BALL!!!!

mutleyhyde
03-14-2002, 02:14 AM
Well dagnabbit! :( I'll get mine, but it disturbs me that Universal doesn't feel these should be standard catalog titles. Okay, maybe the double feature movies aren't necesarrily "must-haves", but to not keep the classics in print? That just ain't right. I think the price on the double features was just too high, and they probably just collected dust on the shelves. Either this convinced Universal to restructure the price point, and this moratorium is just a necesarry step, or they've decided to do away with the series altogether. That would suck royally.

darqleo
03-14-2002, 02:18 AM
Uh... can you say RE-RELEASE? There's no way in hell Universal's going to have these movies permenantly out of their DVD catalog, some of them are real deal classics. I pity the foo' who ends up paying an arm and a leg for them, sincerely Mr. T. Actually, maybe I should put mine on eBay and cash in, then taking the profit money to re-buy the eventual bigger, better ... FASTER! versions. ;)

KR~!
03-14-2002, 03:53 AM
Holy crap! :eek:

I better get that Dracula DVD then, I mean that the flim that got me into Horror to begin with way back when as a little boy, and I never saw the spainish version.:(

KR~!
03-14-2002, 04:04 AM
Ok, I just order this DVD for $14.99

I feel much better now:)

mutleyhyde
03-14-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by darqleo
Uh... can you say RE-RELEASE? There's no way in hell Universal's going to have these movies permenantly out of their DVD catalog, some of them are real deal classics. I pity the foo' who ends up paying an arm and a leg for them, sincerely Mr. T. Actually, maybe I should put mine on eBay and cash in, then taking the profit money to re-buy the eventual bigger, better ... FASTER! versions. ;)

Darqleo, I've been saying re-release the whole time, but it's not confirmed, which is the scary part. You may be right... but you may not. :( It would be nice to know for sure either way is all.

gusse
03-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Who might be able to tell us if these titles are going to get re-released or not? Has anyone tried to contact the pople at Universal to get a comment?

Dave, you mailed them and asked if they realy were going to take these titles out of production and they said that that was the case. Right? But did you at the same time ask about possible re-release editions? Or did you just ask about the production-stop so to speak. I guess what I'm trying to ask is: are the universal people keeping quiet right now so that the dvd-versions currently in the market will be sold of as quickly as possible, and THEN annonce that there are new versions on the way or what? or should we persume that there wont be any new/re-release versions of these titles on the market for a long time?

Seems strange if they would just drop these classics compleatly if you ask me. But at the same time, I would feel pretty stupid if I were to let this pass me by un noticed. I really want these movies in my collection!!

MISFITZ
03-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Assume they will be re-released.

The films are just too much of a flag ship to the history of film and more importantly horror.

But why wait for a re-release?

The copies out now are great and very complete. I can't imagine them adding ANY feature that would be worth waiting x-amount of years so I can buy a better one? :rolleyes:

It'll probably be trivial too. Like Karloff's great grand kids doing commentary. Who wants to hear that?

Respect the history of horror.

I think the price on the double features was just too high, and they probably just collected dust on the shelves.

Man, i couldn't agree more. I like the double feature's, but c'mon brotha!!! $20 - $25?????? That's too much. Especially when MGM is putting out some old school horror gems at less than half that price.

RandyM
03-15-2002, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by MISFITZ
I can't imagine them adding ANY feature that would be worth waiting x-amount of years so I can buy a better one?
I agree except for 2 things.
1)Creature From The Black Lagoon. I'm still waiting for a 3-D version. There's been some good tech innovations as far as DVD and 3-D in the last year, and I hope it becomes feasible soon.
2)Like others have said, the double feature discs are screaming for a price reduction.
Even so, I ordered Mummy and Frankenstein yesterday after putting them off for months (I already have all the single movie discs except for Lagoon, Phantom and the A&Cs.)

gusse
03-15-2002, 08:28 AM
MISFITZ:
According to some reviews I have red the video/audio aspects of some of the discs should have been better in the first place. The extras are supposebly first rate and don't 'need' to be upgraded in an possible re-release version. But the video/audio might be target for an upgrade and if that's the case it would be nice to know so that you don't run out and buy the current versions.

Oh, well - if DV-Depot can get a hold of the box for me I probbably will buy it anyway. But it WOULD be nice to know whats going on - don't you think ;)

Cheers
/gusse

MISFITZ
03-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Some of the complaints i heard were about the audio on Frankenstein. I don't find it to be bad. Considering how old the movie is and what they had to use to record. I really don't think they can improve much more. It does get 'hot' at a few times. But I keep thinkin' about age of this film.

And the dracula dvd. C'mon!!! It has the COMPLETE Spanish version with the disc. The one shot when the 'real' cast went to bed and left the set.

Like I said, I just don't see me waiting x-amount of years to get a slightly better picture (if possible, which i doubt) or better sound when these DVDs are beyond good and available NOW. I'm in this for the horror aspect of it, not 'dvd collecting'. :rolleyes:

Randy M:
I also wish they would have done a 3D version of Creature From the Black lagoon. But I once posted this on my other message board and someone explained how the originals were done and how it probably would not ork very well on TV.

That may be true, but I think it can be done. If they can put a man on the moon they can have a GOOD 3-D Creature From the black Lagoon. (LOL!!! Always wanted to use that "Man on the moon line" LOL!! :D ;) )

KR~!
03-16-2002, 02:07 AM
Ok, but what more could they do with Dracula? That DVD has everything any fan could ever want.

Meanie
03-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KR~!
Ok, but what more could they do with Dracula? That DVD has everything any fan could ever want.

If Universal were going the release New editions of the films, the only one I would buy would be Dracula.

I WANT a better transfer on Dracula.
I know the movies are like 60 years old and they are not going to look like brand new movies, but still I think there is major room for improvement in the Dracula Video department.
I am fairly happy with all the other trasfers though, given their age.

I thought that the Dracula disc had the worst transfer from the Classic Monsters boxset. I am talking about the English version, and not the Spanish version. The Spanish version looks WAY better than the English version and they were shot the same time.

I guess the first reel was in real bad shape because the first 15 minutes the image quality is the worst. It really makes me cringe when I see the poor image quality of the carriage pull up to Dracula's castle.

Meanie
03-16-2002, 01:26 PM
I just ordered the following:
* Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula
* The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein
* Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein

Well that is all I can afford for now and these were the ones I wanted the most of the Double Features.

I heard She Wolf of London sucks badly and that the Mummy sequals were kind of cookie cutter sequals.
I still might get them if I can find them when I can free up some more money.

Yowie
03-16-2002, 06:09 PM
I still need to buy all the Mummy sequels, "Creature.." and "Phantom..", but with so much other good stuff around at the moment I really wonder when I'll be getting those. I'm kinda contemplating waiting for a possible re-release. By the way, "Werewolf..." and "...Daughter" are both excellent movies, highly recommended.

KR~!
03-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Hey, I just got my Dracula DVD in the mail today, hurray :D, I will look out for what you said.

RandyM
03-18-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ
I also wish they would have done a 3D version of Creature From the Black lagoon. But I once posted this on my other message board and someone explained how the originals were done and how it probably would not work very well on TV.
[4-year-old voice]But..but... but... I WANT IT IN 3D!!![/4-year-old voice]

gusse
03-19-2002, 08:36 AM
check out this link:

http://pub36.ezboard.com/fdvdepotcustomerforumfrm15.showMessage?topicID=145 0.topic

Seems like DV-depot have got their hands on a pretty large amount of the Universal Monster-titles!! So if you are thinking of buying, run over there before they are gone! :cool:

*waiting for my 8 disc boxset*:)

Andrew
03-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Hyde - Any news from the HTF wife?? :D

mutleyhyde
03-20-2002, 02:43 AM
Andy, the only thing confirmed was that they were going oop. The HTF wife has hubby whipped... he can say no more. :(

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56269&pagenumber=2

Look for David Tolsky's posts.

Andrew
03-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Aright, guess that's okay.

But here's my theory. If they weren't gonna be released, why would Universal keep quiet? They'd want people to buy them all as fast as possible so they get the money quicker. If they are coming back, they'll keep quiet to hope that people buy them now for the more expensive price, and possibly get them later too if there's any difference in the disc.

It makes sense, atleast I think :rolleyes:.

gusse
03-23-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm with AndrewBBD on this one. I have a feeling these titles will be released again in the future, probably at a lower retail price or something. BUT since I'm not 100% sure I just baught the Classical Monsters Box from DV-Depot. Just to play it safe ;)

mutleyhyde
03-30-2002, 03:22 PM
I procrastinated too long and now have missed out on The Ghost Of Frankenstein / Son Of Frankenstein and Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London, so I guess I am waiting for the hopeful rereleases... sigh. I did manage to pick up the two Mummy doubles though. I haven't actually picked up Dracula's Daughter / Son Of Dracula and Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man/ House Of Frankenstein yet, but they're still listed as available at a few sites. I think at this point I'll just wait and see. But then again... ARGH! I hate this. :(

Moving to Classics, btw. :)

Fart Lighter
03-31-2002, 02:10 PM
two-color 3D as used on Creature works fine on TV. Only the polarized type doesn't work.

Maybe when Universal re-release GHOST/SON of FRANKENSTEIN, they can get the films in the right order on the packaging.

Yowie
04-05-2002, 06:08 PM
What's up with Universal these days anyway ?. They're the slowest of all the major studios when it comes to releasing good stuff. They haven't released anything interesting since this last batch of Monster Classics. They do have Special Editions of "Duel", "Silent Running" and "Legend" lined up next, but I don't see much else decent coming.

mgfred
04-05-2002, 08:13 PM
posted by Mutley Hyde
"I procrastinated too long and now have missed out on The Ghost Of Frankenstein / Son Of Frankenstein and Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London, so I guess I am waiting for the hopeful rereleases"

I got Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein at Samgoody.com, I got Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London at towerecords.com.

Thanks guys, I have them all now and I'm about $250.00 poorer!

Fart Lighter
04-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by mgfred
I have them all now and I'm about $250.00 poorer!

Yeah, but you're richer in the sense of adding these great movies! I was lucky enough to pick up SON/GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER/SON, WOLF MAN and INVISIBLE MAN recently. Already got DRACULA and MUMMY. I held off from CREATURE in the hope of a 3-D version being re-issued.

Still, as a company built on horror, I wish they'd pay more respect to their more modern releases. PHANTASM's piss me off the most, having 1 & 4 as I do already. A watchable GHOST STORY to replace Image's abomination would be very nice too.

mutleyhyde
04-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mgfred
posted by Mutley Hyde
"I procrastinated too long and now have missed out on The Ghost Of Frankenstein / Son Of Frankenstein and Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London, so I guess I am waiting for the hopeful rereleases"

I got Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein at Samgoody.com, I got Werewolf Of London / She-Wolf Of London at towerecords.com.

Thanks guys, I have them all now and I'm about $250.00 poorer!

Thanks Fred, I did end up getting all I needed from SamGoody and DVDPlanet. Well, the Goody ones have shipped, but I'm still waiting on a confirm from the Planet. :( Keepin' my fingers crossed.

mutleyhyde
04-09-2002, 12:56 AM
Well, this past weekend the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man/House Of Frankenstein and Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula dvds came from DVDPlanet, and just today the Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstien and the Werewolf of London/She-Wolf dvds made it from Sam Goody.

Now I have every one of these bad boys, so it goes without saying that we can expect a re-release announcement very shortly. :rolleyes:

mgfred
04-09-2002, 01:12 AM
I should have mine today so definately the jinx will be on

gusse
04-09-2002, 08:47 AM
I received The Wolf Man from DV-depot yesterday, hopefully the rest of the movies will drop in today or tomorrow! I baught the whole damn Classical Monsters Box (dv-depot ships each disc separatly).

just as mutleyhyde wrote.. Now you other guys only have to wait for the re-release announcement! Theres not a chanse in hell that I would be so lucky as to get ahold of this box just in time for it to go OOP for all eternity! I'm betting on better, cheaper and generally cooler releases of these movie in a few days. Thats how things usually turn out for me ;)

mac-hammer-fan
04-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your information mutleyhyde, last month, I was able to add all these great classics to my collection. Just in time!
;)

mutleyhyde
04-10-2002, 02:08 AM
You're welcome Mac! :D

Joel Groce
04-10-2002, 09:34 AM
Well I , too, succumbed and bought 7 of the 8 monsters from the original box. I heard not so great stuff about "The Phantom of the Opera" so didn't get this one. I loved the original pic and heard the Claude Rains version couldn't hold a candle to it, "too much opera, not enough phantom" - does anyone have any good points to say about this film. I also really wanted "Dracula's Daughter", but damn I'm way beyond broke, but happy as hell!

CrumpsBro
04-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Just in case anyone can't find these titles, Columbia House stocks all of the original 8 releases (but none of the double features) and, at last check, still had all in stock.

I know a lot of people hate CH, but it's a good way to pick up all 8 titles for around $90 shipped!