PDA

View Full Version : Destiny (1921)

Yowie
03-18-2002, 10:13 PM
"Destiny"/"Der Muede Tod" (:the tired Death); anyone seen the new DVD of this rare German silent Fritz Lang classic ?. It looks like an interesting "horror" movie, and it's supposed to be really atmospheric with lots of imaginative sets. If it's anything like "Faust" or "The Cabinet Of Caligari" it should be good.

mutleyhyde
03-19-2002, 02:27 AM
How do you mean "new" Yowie? I bought the Image release, but that's been out for a while, I think. It's a pretty good movie, with lots of good atmosphere, an interesting premise, and Bernhard Goetzke rocks as Death. The first half is terrific, but I feel that the compendium feel, the separate stories in the latter half of the film, held together by the common theme, ultimately doesn't work too well. It's a ballsy experiment (for 1921 anyway) by Lang, but one that just doesn't come together too well. However, don't let that aspect, or my opinion of it really, keep you from watching this gothic gem. Faults aside, it's really a very interesting film, and has wonderful imagery to look at.

At the same time I bought Destiny, I bought Fritz Lang's "Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler", and boy is that a fine film! I think Lang's direction here is much better than in Destiny, but it's pretty much a straight forward crime drama... no wonderful gothism as in Destiny here. But, in place of that gothism is a diabolical little journey of a wretched criminal mastermind, one that has influenced filmmakers to this day. Definitely check it out. It's a rather expensive disc, but it's a double disc set, and has a great commentary.

Fritz rocks! Glad to see you checking him out Yowie. :)

Oh, and if you like the premise of Destiny, you may want to check out Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" (1957, Sweden) if you haven't already. It has a somewhat similar premise as Destiny, and I liked it a lot. Extremely gothic and moody, beautifully grotesque imagery. Good stuff.

Yowie
03-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Hi Hyde, thanks for all the info !. It sounds like a mighty fine movie, the stills I've seen look awesome, so I think I'll pick it up. (By new I only meant I just found out it was available so I just assumed it was new. -I gotta check those damn release dates more carefully :rolleyes:, I never seem to pay attention to them !.) They really made some wild movies back then, and a lot more daring than people often think. I wish we'd see more of them on DVD, like "The Phantom Carriage" (Death comes collecting souls by coach), "Der Januskopf" (lost, I'm afraid), "Der Student Aus Prag", "The Monastery Of Sendomir", "Seven Footprints To Satan"(lost ?), and all the different (probably also lost) early versions of "Dante's Inferno". I've never seen "...The Gambler" but it sure sounds interesting, think I'll look into it. -The picture on the DVD cover looks cool, is that a seance ?. I only know Lang's "Testiment Of...", and those later German Edgar Wallace Mabuse thrillers with Klaus Kinski, but I guess they're very different. (Most of the titles above aren't exactly horror either.) I think Lang made some very good later sound movies as well, like "Secret Beyond The Door" and the three with Sylvia Sidney. "Seventh Seal" is a terrific movie - "vem ar du ? - jag ar Døden - va vil du meg ? - spille skak !". Great movie, Death spooked me completely as a kid. There's just something truly special about the figure of Death/Grim Reaper in movies, I think.

mutleyhyde
03-20-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Yowie
There's just something truly special about the figure of Death/Grim Reaper in movies, I think.

Ha ha, truly, as evidenced in The Meaning of Life...

Originally performed by Death, and others...

-GRIM REAPER
Shut up! Shut up you American. You
always talk, you Americans, you do
nothing but talk and talk and say
'Let me tell you something' and 'I
just wanna say this'. Well you're
dead now, so shut up.

-KATZENBERG
Dead?

-GRIM REAPER
Shut up!!! ... All of you, dead!

-ALL
All of us???

-GEOFFREY
... Look ... how can all of us have
died at the same time?

-GRIM REAPER
(pointing)

The salmon mousse!

(Guests all goggle.)

-GEOFFREY
(to Angela)
Darling you didn't use tinned salmon ...

-ANGELA
(unbelievably embarrassed)
Oh I'm dreadfully embarrassed ...

:D

mcchrist
03-24-2002, 04:46 PM
oooooh! Ooooooh! My $0.02... Destiny Rocks!!!! Lang was definitly one of the most prolific directors of the time, and Destiny is definitley a wonderful film. What else can I say? I could rehash the plot points again...

mutleyhyde
03-30-2002, 02:54 PM
Let's take it to Classics, shall we? :)

Yowie
03-31-2002, 06:59 AM
Yep.