PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Battle Royale........

KillerCannabis
03-27-2002, 05:24 PM
and goddamn me if this is the fuckin coolest flick I've seen in years. I'm sure theres another thread on this movie somewhere, but I dont really want to search for it. I thought this movie had a really cool concept with the BR Act and the killing scenes were brutal and bloody, which is a major plus for a gorehound like myself. Nothing beats seeing high school kids getting arrows in the throat, axed in the head, shot to shit by a machine gun or getting their throat slashed with a scythe. Why the fuck do the Asians get movies like this and we're stuck with crap. Like I really need to ask though. Does anyone know where (or if) I can get a region-free copy of this on DVD? I'd kill to have this on disc.

Shannafey
03-27-2002, 05:55 PM
I don't know anybody on didn't like this movie. I was fortunate to have a buddy who lives in Hong Kong, bring me a copy on vcd when he visited the states. You can get the vcd under $10 at pokerindustries.com or hkmovies.com A few sites, or pick up one on Ebay. They are cheap now. I don't think there's a region 1 dvd yet.

vitaebellanot
03-27-2002, 06:34 PM
Don't buy the vcd it's a piece of crap (I felt very gulty selling mine on e-Bay for GBP £21) anyway currently (unless you speak Japanese) the one to get is Tartan UK's (PAL, region 0) as it's uncut with a pristine 1:85 anamorphic transfer and Japanese stereo audio with clear & profesional English subs.

If you cannot hadle PAL then I believe www.dddhouse.com sell the HK dvd (NTSC, region ALL) for peanut's including delivery, although it's not anamorphic and I'm guessing it'll have the usual dub-titles.

Bods
03-28-2002, 12:05 AM
The HK DVD is R3, and reportedly an average disc. So far the only all-region discs are the Tartan version and the bootlegs.

The R2 Japanese DVD blows them all out of the water, but the lack of english subs will turn a lot of people off.

Looking forward to the "Special Version" coming out in May.

aoiookami
03-28-2002, 02:07 AM
took me a loooong time but I got this one off kazaa, and totally enjoyed it. I dont think Ive ever been sucked into a movie so quickly. It was late and I said I was gonna watch just the first few minuets to see the video quality, but ended up staying up til 3 am watching it.great stuff, the ending was quite sad.

dlundh
03-28-2002, 07:06 AM
Be aware that the R3 disc has DTS sound that really kicks ass and the picture is not bad at all.

poorlogic
03-28-2002, 02:49 PM
The R3 disc with DTS looks perfect, and the sound was amazing! Considering it only cost me $13.99 for the R3 disc from Poker Industries - an all region player is worth the price.

Shannafey
03-28-2002, 03:22 PM
None of these copies on DVD is going to help him, if he doesn't have a region-free or PAL playable deck. I don't think the vcd is that bad, and it's cheap, so that's the best alternative until a good region 1 ntsc copy is out there. I don't know if this will ever happen. We need a company like Anchor Bay, that will release the Asian stuff for us over here.

mcchrist
03-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Goddamn, there for a while I watched Battle Royale at least once a week, it was usually a double feature with Fight Club. I'm not the happiest of people sometimes.

Evil Disco Guy
03-31-2002, 04:50 PM
Just pointing out that going by the reviews and my own eyes (I owned the UK R0 release until a bit ago when I sold it) it's quite obvious that the HK version is superior. Some people may go for the UK release just for the anamorphic enhancement but when the picture is as grainy and ugly as it is then it doesn't help much. The R3 version is beautiful and much clearer and has soft subs unlike the hard subs on the UK release (not as bad as on Audition by Tartan but still bad). Price is also a factor, the R3 release is HK$40.00 which is $5.13 (£3.60) and the UK release is £19.99 ($28.50) although I have seen it for £14.99 ($21.37) online. The UK release is 1.85:1 ratio, the same as the R2 Japan release and as shown in the cinema but if I remember correctly it was matted down and the HK release is pretty much as it was shot (may be wrong, but I didn't notice losing anything infact I noticed gaining a bit on the top and bottom).

Let's face it, Tartan sucks... Oh and avoid the bootleg version, it's nothing but a DVD made out of the VCD release but poorly done. If you want to see this film in the best way, learn Japanese and get the R2 Japan release. Nearly every DVD player has a hack out there or a firmware update, I know my dirt cheap DVD player has... Hell, it even converts NTSC to PAL and vice versa as well.

EDIT: Sorry about the long post... My love for Battle Royale and hatred for the UK release (which should have been as good as the Japan release) got me going :D

KillerCannabis
03-31-2002, 06:30 PM
I found a region-free DVD of this on ebay that a guy from Hong Kong is selling. he says that it is widescreen, region free, with English subtitles and he's selling it for $29.99 if I do that "But it now" shit. Is this a legitimate release? Or would I be getting ripped off if I bought this? His feedbnack is mostly positive, so maybe it could be a good deal. I dont know, anyone else got a clue?

Evil Disco Guy
03-31-2002, 08:45 PM
Well the only legitimate R0 version I know of is the UK version... The old bootleg copied straight from the VCD is widescreen and R0, that has subtitles. Not much help I know...

napalm68
03-31-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
I found a region-free DVD of this on ebay that a guy from Hong Kong is selling. he says that it is widescreen, region free, with English subtitles and he's selling it for $29.99 if I do that "But it now" shit. Is this a legitimate release? Or would I be getting ripped off if I bought this? His feedbnack is mostly positive, so maybe it could be a good deal. I dont know, anyone else got a clue?
$29? What a ripoff. And if he is saying R0, he would be talking about the bootleg vcd copy. For $30, you could buy the R0 UK version (however crap it is). The HK version is NTSC, too.

Unfortunately the HK version is defitely R3. Well, unfortunate if you haven't bothered getting your player modded for some bizarre reason. What is your player make and model? I'll se if I can help.

ParmagentoCheez
04-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by napalm68
$29? What a ripoff. And if he is saying R0, he would be talking about the bootleg vcd copy. For $30, you could buy the R0 UK version (however crap it is). The HK version is NTSC, too.

Unfortunately the HK version is defitely R3. Well, unfortunate if you haven't bothered getting your player modded for some bizarre reason. What is your player make and model? I'll se if I can help.

napalm & evil disco- i hate to be the one to break it to you guys. the HKr3 is the best looking disk of it out there. hands down. also, it is not actually region 3 it is region 0. i bought this off ebay for $8(thats with shipping) in a "dutch" auction of about 40 copies last year. best 8 bux i ever spent. all of you usa folks waiting for a good r1 or settling for a shitty pal (!!!!) version need to get the HK reg3. it is the SHIT!

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~screamanthology/br/promos/promo01.jpg

Evil Disco Guy
04-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Evil Disco Guy
Just pointing out that going by the reviews and my own eyes (I owned the UK R0 release until a bit ago when I sold it) it's quite obvious that the HK version is superior. Some people may go for the UK release just for the anamorphic enhancement but when the picture is as grainy and ugly as it is then it doesn't help much. The R3 version is beautiful and much clearer and has soft subs unlike the hard subs on the UK release (not as bad as on Audition by Tartan but still bad)...

Let's face it, Tartan sucks... Oh and avoid the bootleg version, it's nothing but a DVD made out of the VCD release but poorly done. If you want to see this film in the best way, learn Japanese and get the R2 Japan release.

I actually recommended the R3 (it is R3) HK release, although if you've seen the R2 Japan release you'll know that it is far superior but lacking in subs.

napalm68
04-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ParmagentoCheez

napalm & evil disco- i hate to be the one to break it to you guys. the HKr3 is the best looking disk of it out there. hands down. also, it is not actually region 3 it is region 0. i bought this off ebay for $8(thats with shipping) in a "dutch" auction of about 40 copies last year. best 8 bux i ever spent. all of you usa folks waiting for a good r1 or settling for a shitty pal (!!!!) version need to get the HK reg3. it is the SHIT!

Yeah, I understand the R3 one is the best one to get for non Japanese speakers. I have it myself. However, some poor people in the US don't have multiregion players for some strange reason. And don't actually figure out how to get them modded, or figure out the built in hacks. In the rest of the english speaking world (Australia, New Zealand, UK), every true movie fan has multiregion players. The only people that don't are the ones that use it mostly for renting from the video store...

slinker
04-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Did you guys know there is a directors cut on the way with never before seen footage?? (R3) :D :D

KillerCannabis
04-02-2002, 05:29 PM
I have no clue how I would get a region-free player. The player I have now (which is a piece of shit IMHO, since it skips around and pixellates due to a need to get my laser realigned), is a Sony DVP-S360. I would get it modded if I knew where and how to do it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Black_Mandarin
04-02-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by slinker
Did you guys know there is a directors cut on the way with never before seen footage?? (R3) :D :D
Yeah, and no English subs... damnit.

Evil Disco Guy
04-02-2002, 07:36 PM
I have no clue how I would get a region-free player. The player I have now (which is a piece of shit IMHO, since it skips around and pixellates due to a need to get my laser realigned), is a Sony DVP-S360. I would get it modded if I knew where and how to do it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Don't know if this helps:

Posted on VCDHelper.com
The Ultimate DVD Upgrade S735M

User Manual
Introduction
The DVD Upgrade is an advanced modification to your DVD player, which adds extra features and enables you to get more from your machine. The upgrade supplements the DVD player and in no way harms the playback quality or removes any performance features of the machine.

Players Supported
The following DVD players are supported by this version of the DVD Upgrade:

Sony DVP-S335
Sony DVP-S336
Sony DVP-S345
Sony DVP-S360
Sony DVP-S435
Sony DVP-S535D
Sony DVP-S536D
Sony DVP-S560D
Sony DVP-S570D
Sony DVP-S735D

Macrovision & CGMS disable
All DVD players have a system called Macrovision built in to the player, which is designed to stop the copying of DVD discs to video. However, this system can have adverse affects on some projectors. For this reason the DVD MOD Upgrade disables Macrovision to solve any problems.

Region, features selection
Put your player into "Standby“ Mode and enter one of the following commands if necessary:

Remote control command Function
[0] [ENTER] Default Default region code on the player
[1] [ENTER] Region 1
[2] [ENTER] Region 2
[3] [ENTER] Region 3
[4] [ENTER] Region 4
[5] [ENTER] Region 5
[6] [ENTER] Region 6
[7] [ENTER] Region 7
[8] [ENTER] Region 8
[PREV] [ENTER] Auto switching OFF (only play DVD´s with the selected region)
[AUDIO] [ENTER] Default Auto switching ON
[NEXT] [ENTER] Enable video interference impulses (Macrovision ON)
[ANGLE] [ENTER] Default Disable video interference impulses (Macrovision OFF)
[TV/DVD] [ENTER] Enable user operation prohibitions* and access restrictions
[SUBTITLE] [ENTER] Default Disable user operation prohibitions* and access restrictions

The selected region code is visible in the Service Menu. Put your player into the standby mode and enter, in series, [TITLE] [CLEAR] [POWER ON] and [5]. Do not enter the other pages of the service menu.
* The DVD can no longer prohibit you from using the fast-forward, chapter change or Audio-/Subtitle-/Angle switch. You can no longer be forced to watch intros. Just press [TITLE] or [DVD MENU] and select PLAY.

After inserting the disk, the player will display on the front panel all region codes allowed by the disk and the region code selected by the modification. A region 2 disc would show -2- - - - - - 2.
taken from this link. (http://www.vcdhelper.com/dvdplayershack.php?select=Sony%20DVP-S536D&get=Get)
It was also recommended here (http://www.planetdvd.net/discussion/messages/1673.htm) and was the only one I could find.

slinker
04-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Yeah, and no English subs... damnit.
Shit...i knew i should have looked into this further...im sure if its a success it will be released with subtitles, then im gonna have to buy the disc for a second time!! DOH

Luna
04-02-2002, 09:54 PM
Argh!! Mine is a Sony DVP-S530D... is there no hope for me? *sob*

:mad:

I'd really like to watch my italian R2 Nonhosonno on my TV, rather than on my monitor. :(

KillerCannabis
04-03-2002, 08:26 PM
So you're telling me then that all I have to do to have a region-free player is turn it into standby mode and punch in a few codes and thats it? If thats the case I'd be all too happy. And thanks a lot for posting that info. for me. I'm going to give it a try right now.

Luna
04-03-2002, 08:57 PM
So you're telling me then that all I have to do to have a region-free player is turn it into standby mode and punch in a few codes and thats it? If thats the case I'd be all too happy. And thanks a lot for posting that info. for me. I'm going to give it a try right now.

Please let me know if this worked for you - I see your model is actually listed there. I have a Sony DVP-S530D as I said in the above post and tried everything last night. Nothing worked. I started to wonder if I was doing something wrong, but perhaps this only applies to already modded DVD players? I noticed it said "The DVD Upgrade is an advanced modification...". This would imply that there had been a previous modification of some kind. I would think this would be the case anyway, as it didn't work on mine. Mine isn't listed there, but I followed one of the links and it said the hack for the 530 is the same as the 535.

Ah, hell. I just wanna watch region 2 DVDs... is that so wrong? :(

KillerCannabis
04-05-2002, 08:53 PM
It didnt work for me so I assume what you did........that I need to have my player modded first, then do that stuff after.

Evil Disco Guy
04-06-2002, 02:56 AM
Yeah sorry, it was the only thing I could find on the subject. It's well known that the majority of Sony machines don't have remote hacks because basically they don't want you to have that option. The only way is to get it modded, not too expensive if you can find someone close by to do it...

Maupin
04-06-2002, 04:48 AM
I haven't seen the HK disc, but I own the Japanese region 2 disc and the picture quality is very nice. In fact I doubt it could be much better. But yes, there are no English subtitles.

Luna
04-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Evil Disco Guy
The only way is to get it modded, not too expensive if you can find someone close by to do it...

Yeah, s'ok. I think what I'll probably do is buy a cheapo DVD player that does have a remote hack so I don't have to get someone to open up (and possibly screw up) the player that cost us hundreds of dollars. ;)

Luna
04-08-2002, 06:15 AM
It didnt work for me so I assume what you did........that I need to have my player modded first, then do that stuff after.

FYI:

Today, I got an Apex AD-1200 player from CompUSA for $64.95 - I watched Nonhosonno (the italian R2 disc) on it. It looked beautiful except for a few times when it skipped a frame - not very often, but it was noticed. I figure I can handle a few skipped frames to watch non R1 discs! ;)

It also plays MP3s (kind of a frustrating menu system and STUPID naming system though, but they DO play so I can't complain THAT much), Sony PictureCDs (burned jpegs are shown in a slideshow or you can choose them in a thumbnail menu) and VCDs, both bought and burned ones on CD-R.

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a cheap, decent enough player to watch other regions on! :D

All you have to do is 8421, with the disc ejected, and you get to the menu where you can edit your region. 9 would be the best choice here. Hope this helps some people!

Nilbog
04-13-2002, 12:19 AM
You can also buy the Daewoo 5700 at Sam's Club for $99.It contains a secret menu that would allow you to make it region free and converts PAL to NTSC.it plays mp3,cdr,cdrw,and vcd.I've had mine for 4 months and I absolutely love it.

KillerCannabis
04-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Does that Apex player also convert PAL to NTSC? Because I may go to CompUSA today to pick one up. That's a cheap-ass price on it too.

Luna
04-14-2002, 05:55 AM
Does that Apex player also convert PAL to NTSC? Because I may go to CompUSA today to pick one up. That's a cheap-ass price on it too.

Yup, it does. I watched "Nonhosonno" (R2 Italian release, PAL) on mine with no problems whatsoever. Plays VCDs too. Possibly SVCD, but I haven't tried so I can't say for sure. :D

The one we were going to pick up originally was the Apex AD-3201 (which is also remote hackable, same hack!)... we wound up with the AD-1200 because they didn't have any of the other one in stock. We paid 64.95 instead of 49.95 (CompUSA had a rebate, dunno if it's still on), but we got the added ability to view jpgs, so I'm a happy camper. I have literally thousands of old and new scanned-in family pics on cd-r so it was of use to me. It makes a slideshow out of them, or you can choose from thumbnails. :D

One more thing about the AD-1200 and probably the 3201... there is a limit of either 200 jpgs or 200 mp3s that can be detected on one cd-r. There's a really dumb mp3 menu system, but I suppose you really get what you pay for and it DOES play mp3s so I don't care too much - I found that I'll have to change my naming system when I burn cd-rs. Also a bit of a pain in the ass is that the cd has to be totally mp3 or totally jpg. I have some burned cds of whole albums with pics of the cd covers. It detected those as jpg discs, I assume because the file extension jpg comes before mp3 alphabetically. It's stupid but I figured you might like to know. As long as you realize it, it's not too much of a problem.

However, if you're using it exclusively for region-free viewing, then who cares about those things anyway! Happy viewing! :D

Mortado
04-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ParmagentoCheez

Note that this is not completely true. My R3 Universe "Battle Royale" DVD is definitely region 3 and will not play on R1 players. My friends is region 0 and plays on anything. The boxes are identical so there's really no way to tell them apart. Buyer beware :)

Dave
04-16-2002, 07:10 PM
I just bought a Daewoo 5700 off ebay. I figure for prices that cheap, it's time to see how it stacks up against my netstream 2000 decoder. Unfortunately, it cost me $110 shipped and it's open boxed (guaranteed to work and it's from a good seller). That's about as cheap as you can get it on ebay, though.

My local Sam's didn't have any. :mad: