PDA

View Full Version : Hammer DVD's

y2doublet
03-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Since the Hammer-forum seems to be no more I guess this is the place to post. I found some cheap Hammer DVD's from Anchor Bay and being a complete newbie to the whole Hammer-thing I was wondering which of these are good and worth picking up: Lost Continent, Mummy's Shroud, Plague of the Zombies, Prehistoric Women, Vengeance of She and also Viking Queen. I'm sure I'm gonna get some "they're all so great, pick them all up"-responses but the problem is I don't got the dough to purchase them all. So please pick 2-3 of them that you think I should buy. Thanks!

maybrick
03-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Out of that list the only one I would recommend to a newbie is Plague of the Zombies. The Lost Continent and The Mummy's Shroud are alright but not the best ones to start off a collection with, although The Lost Continent does have a small die hard fan base. The others I own but the only people I would recommend them to would be completists. By Hammer's or anyone else's standards they are sub-par.
Skip Prehistoric Women, Vengeance of She, and The Viking Queen. Definitely pick Plague of the Zombies, and possibly The Lost Continent and The Mummy's Shroud as alternates. Hope I could help.

y2doublet
03-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks man! Excellent answer, it was exactly what I was looking for.

betterdan
03-31-2002, 07:15 AM
If you can find The Reptile for cheap at Suncoast like i did with their AB sale last year then get it. I love this Hammer movie.

Yowie
03-31-2002, 08:02 AM
I love "The Reptile", it's definitely among my favorite Hammers.

pacinofan
04-01-2002, 03:55 PM
I too am a Hammer newbie. I actually plan on getting Dracula Prince Of Darkness since its on sale. I've heard mixed reviews on this one, but I would like to check it out. I'm also going to pick up "The Mummy" since thats the first "classic" hammer film to be released. Hopefully we'll see "Horror of Dracula" "Curse Of Frankenstein" and "Curse of the Werewolf" some time soon.

mac-hammer-fan
04-05-2002, 12:04 PM
I would pick up these titles too if you love Hammer Movies:
Frankenstein created Woman (with Peter Cushing) ***
Scars of Dracula ***
Lust for a Vampire ***
Rasputin the Mad Monk (if you like historical drama's mixed with some horror) **
Satanic Rites of Dracula (with Lee and Cushing) **
Quatermass and the Pit (if you like old fashioned SF) */**
I totally agree about the recommendations of "Reptile" and "Plague of the Zombies"

Don't forget that this year some very good Hammers will be released on DVD
Hound of the Bakervilles / MGM * May
Demons of the Mind / Anchor Bay * July
Vampire Lovers / MGM * November?