PDA

View Full Version : This forum needs help!

jscott
03-29-2002, 02:43 PM
No one's really posted here for a while, so I thought I'd throw down some words. Anyone got any new discs lately? Damn Ebay vultures have been picking my bones dry. I've lost out on the Criterion LD of Trainspotting, and The Thing from Another World in the past couple of weeks. Why didn't I start buying LD's when you could get them in a retail store? Oh well. I still love the format.

Beastus
03-29-2002, 03:45 PM
I agree. Laserdisc is a great format. I've always thought DVD and CD's are too small. It's no fun when you can put 'em into your pocket.

No new lasersdiscs for me though. The laserdiscs that are interesting are really expensive.

Egg_Shen
03-29-2002, 04:47 PM
Funny you should mention that you lost out on the "Thing From Another World" disc as it was the last movie I bought for the format. Maybe you lost to me.

That was a few months ago and I really haven't been looking around to much lately. Every so often I'll look up "The Frightners" disc to see what it's going for. It's still to high....

bigdaddyhorse
03-30-2002, 02:18 AM
I think my laser collection is close to complete.
Everything I know I want right now is retartedly expensive (i.e. Frighteners).
I still look on ebay, but nothing has caught my eye lately.

laserdogg
03-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Last bunch of discs I've picked up include a few horror commons:

Elites:
The Reptile
Rasputin
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Plague of the Zombies

Others:
Drive-in Massacre
Jason and the Argonauts
Blacula
Soylent Green (LTBX)
House/Night of Dark Shadows (double-feature)
Blade (AC-3, LTBX) I love this movie

Non-horror:
Taking of Pelham 123
Payback
Enemy of the State

Nothing too expensive or hard to get, but one of these days I'm going to get Omega Man for under 30 clams.

mcchrist
03-30-2002, 09:12 PM
To be honest with you, I feel that they should still be making laserdiscs along side of DVD's, face it most of the great Criterion titles you can't get on DVD, etc. And besides, there is something incredibly special about a LD special edition box, hell many of the titles out there that are still bare-bones on DVD, I would prefer buying the LD.

Paff
03-31-2002, 02:38 AM
Still make LDs? Um, nice idea, but...

Let's face it, these people are business-motivated. If they could continue to make money selling LDs, they would. But you're talking a small amount of people that own LD, and many of those people prefer DVD anyway.

About the Criterion stuff, in most cases, they've lost the rights to produce those films in any format. Halloween, perfect example. That's an Anchor Bay title now. The commentary belongs to Criterion. So what can be done?? (hehe, at least those of us with LD players have no problem).

I do love LD, but even I know it's time has past. It was around for 20 years, I'll be totally surprised if DVD it it's current technology lasts half that long.

Have I bought any new LDs lately? Yes!! Here's a few:

Lifestyles of the Ramones (Ramones video collection)
Pulp Fiction - Criterion
Sanjuro - Criterion
Hidden Fortress - Criterion CAV
Lupin the 3rd: Die! Nostradamus
Lupin the 3rd: The Fuma Conspiracy
Poseidon Adventure - THX
Cannibal Holocaust
Salem's Lot - complete miniseries
Strange Days - DTS
Boogie Nights - DTS
Daylight - DTS
Jurassic Park - DTS

MISFITZ
04-01-2002, 05:31 PM
I swear some of you freaks are bidding against me!!! Either way, i made some side deals and recently picked up:

Hammer's THe Abominable Snowman
Hammer's Dracula - Prince of Darkness
Hammer's Rasputin
Invader's From Mars (elite)
Bava's Lisa and the Devil
Bava's Baron Blood

I don't care too much of the status of Laser Disc. It seemed 'quiet' back when it was peaking. Chalk me up as one who leans on DVD quite a bit now. Mainly because of what you get for the price. I use to pay $23 - $34 for a NEW LASER disc at Media Play or something. And it was a big deal back then cuz I was a college kid. That was a huge investment.

DVD prices, if searched with the net, are pretty cheap. Not to mention, don't have the break in the film for flipping or getting a new disc.

But ironic as it is, the death of laser disc, has actually made my player more alive than ever. TONS of bargins out there. F*ck if the DVD is better or whatever, at $4 - $8 a film, who cares. I'm not talkin' about edited films or bad transfers.

I'm talking about if the DVD is an LD transfer and the LD is cheaper, i'm gonna get the LD.

If the DVD has DVD-ROM features or 'extras' of movie trailers to some other film or whatever, i'd get the LD if cheaper. Ya know!!

As for this forum. :rolleyes: I like this place at times, but the subject matter here seems to just be a bunch of gripes about DVDs and DVD companies. I like DVDs, but I like horror even more. And no one really talks about horror or disects movies, music, writing, tv shows here. Just refer their 'horror talk' to the DVDs. Which is fine cuz that's what this place is.

But i can only stand so much whinning in one day. I mainly just come here for Laser Disc info, or talk smack in the "OTHER" section. Not to mention I do read the reviews here. And honestly there are some people I like reading their posts.

Glad to see there are people that actually wanted to keep talkin laser disc.

Also.. laserdogg! Damn dude! I know we hafta be looking at some of the same stuff!! LOL!!!

See ya freakz!!!!

wago70
04-01-2002, 06:29 PM
does anyone think the LD of Fulci's Zombie looks better than A Bay's DVD?

jscott
04-02-2002, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Egg_Shen
[B]Funny you should mention that you lost out on the "Thing From Another World" disc as it was the last movie I bought for the format. Maybe you lost to me.

No, it wasn't you. I lost my auction for The Thing from Another World last week, and another auction for it last night. The whole world's against me, I swear to God. Someone please slap me in the face before I break down and by the (gulp) VHS.

laserdogg
04-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by wago70
does anyone think the LD of Fulci's Zombie looks better than A Bay's DVD?

The Roan LD looks smoother, more filmlike. Some may think the image is soft, but it looks far better than the DVD.

Does anyone know if the DVD has all the extras off the LD, commentary, etc.?

Paff
04-02-2002, 11:10 PM
So that's a definite? The Roan LD of Zombie is better than the AB DVD?

I had often heard that, and thus purchased the LD a few months ago. I've never seen the DVD, so I don't really know for sure which one is better. But I always here EVERYONE bitching about the DVD, and the LD don't look bad to me, so it makes sense.

JScott: Hold out. Get the Laser of The Thing from Another World. It's a gorgeous presentation, the extras are way cool.

And Misfitz hit the nail on the head about cheap LDs. Check my list. You'll see a LOT of movies I bought for $5 or less. I guarantee I'd never even consider buying those on DVD for $15 or even $10. The LD looks ok, sounds ok, it's widescreen, it's a LOT better than VHS, so why not? Sure, for some favorites I'll get the DVD for the added quality, but how many times a year am I gonna watch The Rock or Face/Off or Broken Arrow? And trust me, all 3 of those movies look DAMN GOOD on LD....

Paff
04-11-2002, 10:52 PM
As we discuss our recent acquisitions on LD, I just wanted to mention that last week I picked up X-The Unheard Music on LD.

If you're a fan of this band, it's an absolutely incredible movie, and having a nice stereo LD really adds to it.

Play this movie loud

jscott
04-12-2002, 01:22 AM
I just won The Kids in the Hall:Braincandy laserdisc on Ebay. That's one I've been consistantly outbid on for 6 months now. Still looking for that Theatre of Blood LD.

wago70
04-12-2002, 06:54 PM
J. Scott - I have a sealed Theater of Blood LD that I don't need (I bought 2 in case the film ended up rare - in the days before the word DVD was known.)
Willing to part with it - for a small fee. let me know on this board and I can give you my email or whatever if you're interested.

Dave
04-12-2002, 09:38 PM
LDs continue to be released?

Well, no way it's going to happen with mainstream movies. I mean, Image and Pioneer are gone, and the studios certainly won't be releasing lasers on their own. The possibility of someone else stepping in to fill the shoes of Pioneer and Image at this point is none. It takes money to do this stuff. Pioneer and Image weren't even getting 500 preorders towards the end, and that was often the minimum needed to go ahead with the pressing.

HOWEVER...

Laserdisc does have an afterlife. Ebay is a great place to pick up used discs that aren't rare. Rare ones...well, break out the piggy banks.

And while this will probably never happen, I'd love for Elite or Synapse to occasionally release a title on laserdisc. I think now that new releases are dead, an occasional release could sell well based on sentimental purchases. If a horror or sci-fi movie were released on LD now, I'd definitely buy it. I'm going to mention it to both companies, but I'm not holding my breath.

My interest in LD has surged lately. I'm having a custom built storage cabinet made for my lasers. I'll post a picture when it's done (about a month). My new LD player from Japan will ship out to me this week.

With the new player and new storage cabinet on the way, I want more lds! Especially Japanese lasers - so many great ones out there. All those TV series released in Japan look sweet, and they're starting to come down in price a bit.

jscott
04-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by wago70
J. Scott - I have a sealed Theater of Blood LD that I don't need (I bought 2 in case the film ended up rare - in the days before the word DVD was known.)
Willing to part with it - for a small fee. let me know on this board and I can give you my email or whatever if you're interested.

I want it. email me flyboy909@yahoo.com

SynapseFilms
04-13-2002, 12:31 AM
Hell, that's how I got my start in this crazy business.

But, the problem is that most, if not all, the LaserDisc plants I dealt with are now all closed down. Pioneer, Mitsubishi Japan, 3M... they closed up their LD pressing facilities.

Laserdisc is really over and it's a shame... even if I WANTED to do another LaserDisc I probably couldn't, most of the factories have switched their equipment to DVD and gotten rid of their LD mastering machines.

I am getting ready to move and I have about 300+ LDs that I want to get rid of. I'm keeping a lot of stuff, but I am either going to sell them for $10.00 each or send them to the Salvation Army. When it's not so crazy around here (I, as well as Synapse, are moving to Michigan at the end of May), I might make up a list.

Paff
04-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Don, you're gonna find a real active interest in those discs at this site.

Especially if they're some of the discs you did back at Elite. My Elite laserdiscs are one of the jewels of my collection, and I've given serious thought to someday making an attempt to own every LD Elite ever did.

Nothing but the bloody best, right?

Dave
04-13-2002, 04:10 AM
I read an article recently about a particular pressing company that was no longer doing laserdiscs. It was very interesting, though, because it went on to say that there ARE still companies pressing laserdiscs. Apparently laserdiscs are still in use at a variety of schools for teaching purposes, hence the need for companies that press laserdiscs.

The article did mention the dramatic decline in LD production after the depature of Image and Pioneer. But the fact is, it is still possible to press lasers. I'm sure these companies pressing them for educational institutions have the ability to press movies as well.

I'll try to find a link to the article.

jscott
04-15-2002, 02:14 AM
WOOHOO! I just won Scream Greats:Tom Savini on laserdisc. I figured one of you guys would snatch that one up.
And Wago70, I want your spare copy of Theatre of Blood. Please email me flyboy909@yahoo.com

Paff
04-15-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by jscott
WOOHOO! I just won Scream Greats:Tom Savini on laserdisc.

Already have it. It's a sweet disc, you'll dig it big time.

Bonus: It's all CAV, meaning perfect freeze-frame and slow motion!

enjoy Theatre O Blood. It's the widescreen re-mastered one you're selling him, right Wago?

Egg_Shen
04-15-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by jscott
WOOHOO! I just won Scream Greats:Tom Savini on laserdisc. I figured one of you guys would snatch that one up.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I forgot about the damn thing. There have been ALOT of discs I would've snatched up by now if it were not for my terrible memory. Anyway, enjoy the disc jscott.

By the way, I'm looking into a few discs at the moment: "The Fun House", "Phantasm" signature series box set, and lastly "The Ressurected". Any opinions on these?

Paff
04-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Egg_Shen
By the way, I'm looking into a few discs at the moment: "The Fun House", "Phantasm" signature series box set, and lastly "The Ressurected". Any opinions on these?

Let's see...I just watched The Funhouse a few weeks ago. It's a pretty poor transfer, I gotta figure the DVD is better. But the LD is in full surround (the DVD is 2.0), and has the original trailer. Don't spend more than $5 on it.

The Phantasm disc is nice to have. It's the same stuff as the DVD, but the packaging is sweet.

Don't know about the 3rd disc...

Egg_Shen
04-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Paff
The Phantasm disc is nice to have. It's the same stuff as the DVD, but the packaging is sweet.

Just what I thought. I own the DVD but the packaging really got me interested. I'm going to guess you own this disc, so you'll know if it has the soundtrack or not. I think it does.

Let's see...I just watched The Funhouse a few weeks ago. It's a pretty poor transfer, I gotta figure the DVD is better. But the LD is in full surround (the DVD is 2.0), and has the original trailer. Don't spend more than $5 on it.

That's good to know. I remember someone here saying it was nice to have (thought it was you, maybe not), so I imagined it had a decent transfer. Actually, I think it was a discussion concerning the trailer. The trailer is NOT on the DVD, and whoever it was said it was a good one. Maybe I'll hold off on that one, as the price is already up in the ten dollar range.

Dave
04-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Bastard! I would have snagged that Scream Greats disc in a second. I got the Scream Great: Satanism Witches LD instead. But I'm going to add that Savini one to my favorite searches!

A great feature of ebay is to save your favorite searches in the 'My Ebay' control panel. You can have an email sent to you automatically for every new search that comes up. They'll only email you up to 3 searches, but I believe you can put in up to 10 (you can login and run the others manually). It can be very powerful if you learn their search engine. Here's one of mine:

(x-files, x files, xfiles) (import, japan)

So it searches for x-files OR x files, OR xfiles AND import OR japan

I could throw an LD or laserdisc in there too, but the problem is not everyone puts 'LD or laserdisc' into their description. Plus the import or japan will narrow it down enough where 99% of the results will be what I'm looking for.

Here's another:

(vinyl, record, laserdisc) (storage, cabinet, rack)

Yes, I'm looking into storage cabinet to hold my growing collection. This will search for vinyl OR record OR laserdisc AND storage OR cabinet OR rack.

You can plug those right into the search box, () and all.

Works pretty good. I shouldn't tell you guys about this since I may end up bidding against you. :D

jscott
04-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Paff

Bonus: It's all CAV, meaning perfect freeze-frame and slow motion!

It's CAV? The person I bought it from listed it as Extended Play in the item's description. Are you sure it's CAV? Or does your player have the ability to freeze frame/slow mo on CLV discs as well as CAV (I know my dad's can, he's got a DVL909, lucky bastard!).

Paff
04-16-2002, 02:53 AM
Well, NO player will ever freeze-frame CLV as well as CAV...

Did you see a photo of the disc? It should have "CAV Disc" in the upper right, and "Standard Play" in the lower left.

I don't know why it would be CLV. The documentary is only 52 minutes long. It's probably a CAV disc, and the guy just assumed it's CLV, since CLV is so common.

jscott
04-16-2002, 03:54 AM
After making my eyes water by staring at the photo so long, it does look like it says Standard Play in the lower left hand corner.
Spank you Paff, spank you very much.

MISFITZ
04-16-2002, 11:10 PM
I'll just chime in on the whole ELITE LASER DISC thing too. I'm not on a mission to own everyone, but I've been buying them like a bitch lately!!! Man, you can tell they were for 'movie-fanatics' and not all this 'mass collecting' sh*t out now a days! All that stuff they write on the back telling you why this source material was available and why it's cropped the way it is.

Would keep bunch of the DVD-whinners quiet!!

But, if 'Don' is selling Elite Disc, man, post them here in the LD section. Or drop an e-mail. (venom@ev1.net) I'll snag some. And shit Paff, you got every damn disc there is. you're still missing elite discs?? ;)

On another horror site i hang at, I suck Elite's dick with no shame over their laser disc.

Paff
04-17-2002, 01:06 AM
I certainly do have a LOT of Elite discs, but not all of them.

See, to own every one, I'd have to buy all the Nightmare on Elm Street discs (and I only like the first one), plus a lot of their older discs that were since put out on DVD (like Dracula Prince of Darkness).
I've always wanted the Elite Lady in White laser...

Off the top of my head, here's my Elite LDs:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (red disc)
God Told Me To
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Nightmare on Elm Street
Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil
Re-Animator

nice collection, but still more to go...

MISFITZ
04-17-2002, 04:16 PM
The NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET package is cool.

It's the one with the RED and GREEN sweater pattern eh? I've thought of buying it cuz it looks cool!!!

Not at home to see but my ELITE's are:

TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD
RETURN OF THE EVIL (BLIND) DEAD
MARK OF THE DEVIL
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (red disc)
God Told Me To
Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil
DRACULA - PRINCE OF DARKNESS ;)
Rasputin
Invaders From mars

Most of these are recent buys too!! I know there 'may' be more, but I have the worst memory. I actually have an extra copy of GOD TOLD ME TO if someone wants to trade??

MISFITZ
04-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Anyone know how BAVA's other laser disc are compared to the DVDs. Specifically BLACK SUNDAY and BLACK SABBATH?? I've seen the DVD's but they always go for $22-$25. Yes, I know it's worth it, it's freakin' BAVA, but if the LD's can compete than I may be able to save a buck or 2. But if the LD's are inferior to the DVDs, I won't sacrifice material/quality with those titles. NO WAY!! ;)

Paff
04-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by MISFITZ
The NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET package is cool.

It's the one with the RED and GREEN sweater pattern eh? I've thought of buying it cuz it looks cool!!!

Alas, no. My copy is the standard movie-only edition with Heather Langenkamp on the cover.

It burns me, because I could have had that bad-ass SE. Big Emma's had a bunch of Elite discs on sale. I was already into them for nearly a hundred bucks. They had both editions of Nighmare, but since that's not an all-time favorite of mine, I cheaped out and bought the standard edition. I should have bit the bullet and paid the extra $10 they wanted for the SE. Both were factory sealed and in mint condition.

Oh well, the movie is what is most important to me, and the Elite Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty damn nice, so I'm happy.

Egg_Shen
04-18-2002, 03:26 AM
I bought the "Nightmare On Elm Street" disc by Elite a while back off ebay. The guy selling it showed a picture of the disc with the sweater pattern. Yet when it arrived on my doorstep later in the week, the cover had somehow changed to the one with Langenkamp on it.

It really upset me because I own the DVD, and that cover was really selling me on the disc. I guess that's ebay for you though.

To end on a more positive note, I DID snag the Criterion version of "Crash" off ebay the other day, and I've been wanting that one for a while now.

MISFITZ
04-18-2002, 04:30 PM
The one with the 'sweater' pattern...isn't that an Elite disc too??

Man, that SUX Egg_Shen!!! BIG TIME!!:mad:

I actually like Nightmare on Elm Street a lot. The first one! (actually the first 3) I may still snag the sweater one. You should have got it Paff!!! Then I can bug you about comparing it to the DVD box set!