PDA

View Full Version : Takashi Miike's VISITOR Q Review

Black_Mandarin
04-02-2002, 07:43 PM
Here is my review of Miike's Visitor Q, Uncut German Region 2 PAL DVD (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3612)

Lindane
04-03-2002, 07:45 AM
I loved Visitor Q! I like showing it to my friends and seeing their reactions. This makes a great double feature with Salo. HeHeHe

dwatts
06-14-2005, 03:15 AM
I must be doing something wrong. I did a search for threads on this movie, and only found two - and this was the longest of those!

Anyhoo - I just watched this one for the first time. You know, one thing I like about Miike is that he can present the most outrageous stuff, yet somehow in context it seems reasonably normal. Watching this film you end up seeing things that ought to knock you back in your seat, but it doesn't.

The subtexts here many, and actually override anything you actually get to see. However, looking back, there is a LOT of strangeness here. Why do Miike's films never feel as strange as they patently are?

I'm holding back on calling this a good film. I'm not at all saying it's a bad one. I'm just left a little puzzled by it. On one side it's so obvious, but then Miike takes these "obvious" statements and paints them in such an extreme subtext that you wonder just how far out things could go and still make sense. I mean, this film is largely about humanity, while you're watching some pretty inhumane stuff.

Good grief, if I start to try and explain my feelings here we'll all get bored with a very lengthy post. I'm gonna stop.

If you've not checked this out yet - please do. Shot on DV it seems, 4:3. But nothing less for all that. If you have seen it, why no comments?

Weird. Recommended.

KamuiX
06-14-2005, 03:33 AM
I love this film...in a strange way, it's almost heartwarming and touching. You have this totally wacked out family that run across Q, who through the most vile and outrageous acts, brings them closer together. Only Miike could get away with something like this film and actually make it meaningful. I highly recommend this one :)

maskull
06-14-2005, 03:42 AM
I really like this movie as well. I just never know where to start writing about it. So I just don't.