PDA

View Full Version : MGM's Theatre of Blood LD ?s

jscott
04-05-2002, 01:43 AM
I want the film, but the DVD transfer was given a poor review by this site. I have seen the MGM laserdisc on Ebay. Anyone have it? Any worse than the DVD? I do know the LD has the film score isolated on one of the analog tracks (which isn't on the DVD). That makes me want the LD more (I collect horror soundtracks), but I wanted to check with you guys first so I don't waste money.

Paff
04-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Of course, if you'd click on the link in my sig, you'd know if someone here has this LD...hahaha

Yes, I own one. It looks pretty good. Better or worse than the DVD? That I don't know about. If you can get it for a good price (<$10), I'd say go for it.

wago70
04-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Maybe this'll help, but I always thought both versions were great. The LD was one of the sharpest discs when I first saw it back in '98. The DVD actually is a little sharper, but the LD sound is not so "hushed" in all the dialogue sequences and overall louder and clearer (I don't have a stereo so my TV is my only sound system - most DVD's I have to keep turning up and down, but never had to do that with LD's).
The film has a brownish hue and I think the reviews think the film is supposed to be a lot more colorful than was intended (by calling the colors "muddy" and/or "dull").
I prefer the LD in this case, tho.

Paff
04-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, there's your answer then, from someone who's seen both.

I just wanted to add that this LD was made in 1998, so it's pretty good. I mean, it's not like one of those mid-80s ones that are just alternatives to VHS. Care and effort went into the production. And the cover's way cool too. Enjoy.

laserdogg
04-06-2002, 02:36 AM
I have the WS release from '97 and that is the one to get. There was an earlier release from Image in '89 that is P&S, the WS issue looks to be around 1.66:1

jscott
04-29-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by wago70

The film has a brownish hue and I think the reviews think the film is supposed to be a lot more colorful than was intended (by calling the colors "muddy" and/or "dull").

I agree with you there, but I think this is a natural charecteristic of the film stock used, for I've seen several older films that have the same look. Other than the color being a little "dull", the transfer on this disc is fabulous. And having the score/sound fx isolated on the analog track is always a welcome bonus. Thanks again for the disc Wago70.

sparky
05-08-2002, 03:42 PM
I sold my laser copy on eBay...don't like the DVD print at all.

Sold my laser copy of "Gorgo", the DVD was a piece of crap!!

I've learned to hold on to my lasers until I've seen the DVD. :D

Paff
05-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by sparky
I've learned to hold on to my lasers until I've seen the DVD. :D

I hear ya there Sparky. It ain't worth it. The rationale is that you want to dump the laser while it still has some value, but even that doesn't really work. Like say The Frighteners Signature Collection goes for a lot now, but if it was even ANNOUNCED on DVD, the price would fall sharply.

It was like The Phantom Menace. That thing was $100, then when the DVD was announced, there was a flood of people dumping their copies and you could grab 'em for $20. After the DVD actually came out and some people noticed that the laser sounds a little better, the price actually went up again.

When I got the Carrie DVD (not the SE), I sold the laser, but I noticed that the DVD was far inferior in sound. The new SE DVD is better of course, but up until then, the LD was the way to go.

Also, Tomorrow Never Dies sounds fantastic on LD compared to the DVD, and the picture is almost as good (at least for those of us without 16x9). I stupidly sold the LD when I got the DVD. I actually re-bought the laser. I only have the DVD for the extras, the laser is what I watch now.

sparky
05-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Paff,

That's right about SW-TPM...you got it on laser, you got the theatrical version...the DVD is altered.

The laser looks just like the movie when I saw it on film at the theater and the DVD looks just like the movie when I saw it in Digital at the theater...it's worth the $100 I originally paid for it IMHO.

Look at "Invaders from Mars('53)" on DVD, I've never seen such a piece of crap. The laser special edition will never leave my hands.

Anyway, even if all the lasers got rot, a lot of people are framing them like LP'S...looks sharp next to the original movie poster.

I have a Pioneer DVL-700 with AC-3 outs but never picked up the RF Demodulator for it. But when I played SW-TPM, the sound blew me away, even though it was Dolby Pro-Logic. I could imagine what it would sound like if I had the RF plugged in. :D

Paff
05-08-2002, 10:50 PM
The DVL-700....that one of them combo LD/DVD players?

That was almost a good idea, but you can easily buy a much better stand-alone Laserdisc player and DVD player for what one of those combo units cost. Sure, it's great having all in one, but if you can get better hardware for less money, why not have separate components?

As far as the RF Dolby Digital, it kicks serious ass on Phantom Menace, and several other LDs for that matter. If you have a significant amount of Dolby Digital discs, it's worth it to add that capability.
Here's an overlooked way to do it:
For a short time, it was common to use TWO components for Dolby Digital decoding: A processor matched with a Dolby Digital "ready" receiver. Nowadays of course it's just easier to have it all on board the receiver. But a lot of those processors had an RF input. I'm using a Yamaha DDP-1, and it works great. Some friends of mine have Sonys and they're good too. I think Denon made one as well.
Might be something to look at in pawn shops or on E-bay...

sparky
05-08-2002, 11:11 PM
My receiver has the RF input and my player the RF output, don't you still need the Demodulator, or am I screwed up?

I've only had two problems with the combi player, "7 Faces of Dr. Lao", got a firmware upgrade and it works fine now and "Emperor's New Groove SE", audio drop out, but I think it was the disc. Get this, called Disney about it, they said return it to the place I got it, I got my money back. Last month Disney sends me the regular version and a mailer to mail back the SE to them...uh, a little late!

I have a 55" 4x3 Mit. and when I upgrade soon to my 65" 16x9 Mit., then I will see about getting the Panny RP-91. Right now if anything did happen to the player, I'd be out of luck.

I've gotten no clear response about trying to hook both of them into my Yamaha HTR-5150 Receiver and switching back and forth...how do I do it?

Thanks for answering, my son turned me onto this site and I really like it. :D

Paff
05-09-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by sparky
My receiver has the RF input and my player the RF output, don't you still need the Demodulator, or am I screwed up?

Yeah, you're screwed up. The Yamaha 5150 does NOT have an RF input, so you'd need an RF Demodulator to go Dolby Digital on it.

However, it does have a 6-channel input, so if you were to get a Dolby Digital decoder with RF capability (like my Yammy DDP-1) it would connect in easily, and you'd no longer need a demod.

As far as connecting the two sources, there's various ways to do it. Since the TV probably has multiple-video inputs, you may want to bypass the receiver for video switching (that's the way I do it now). You can also use another video input, like Satellite/TV (unless you have a satellite already plugged in).

sparky
05-09-2002, 02:59 AM
Thanks Paff, will give it a try! :D