PDA

View Full Version : Versus.....on Region 1!?

DVD Connoisseur
04-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Versus may be soon appearing on R1, according to Fangoria magazine. The title is said to be on the release list for Media Blasters - this is good news as it would prove a more affordable purchase but what of quality? The Japanese disc should be top notch whilst Media Blaster's reputation for quality products is not altogether solid.

I think I'll be waiting for reviews of these discs before taking the plunge (if the rumour is true)!

As soon as I hear more, I'll let you know....

KillerCannabis
04-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Regardless of the quality (unless its almost unwatchable) I'd pick this disc up on R1 in a second. Mind you, I've never seen the movie, but if all the hype I've heard is true, this is a disc that I cannot afford to miss out on.

Junpei
04-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Oh, please let it be true that Media Blasters has the rights to this on DVD. (I remember seeing a rumour that Di$ney had the rights... *shudder*)

All I have is a grainy copy on VHS, that, while, watchable, is hard on the eyes.

And yes, this movie lives up to all the hype surrounding it and then some. The most kick-ass horror movie I've seen in a long time.

poorlogic
04-18-2002, 07:57 AM
I picked up the R2 PAL disc and thought it was one of the better films I've seen in a long time. As for the disc, well, it plays like a VCD - no menu and no chapter stops. Still, the quality is good enough without having to purchase a R1 disc. I dubbed a copy to VHS, lent to a friend and never got it back - everyone who watches loves it.

davros
04-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by poorlogic
I picked up the R2 PAL disc and thought it was one of the better films I've seen in a long time. As for the disc, well, it plays like a VCD - no menu and no chapter stops. Still, the quality is good enough without having to purchase a R1 disc. I dubbed a copy to VHS, lent to a friend and never got it back - everyone who watches loves it.

congratulations. you picked up a bootleg ;)

as far as the RC1 goes, Id be careful with that. because rumor has it that for the american market there will be scenes re-shot with a budget of 8 million $

well, only time will show whether or not that is a good thing ;)

info source: the german distributor

Mortado
04-18-2002, 11:31 AM
$12.99 US for the Universe R3 DVD. Pretty darned good quality with nice crisp English subs.

http://us.yesasia.com/prdDept.asp?section=videos&code=a&lang=en&pid=1001805816&aid=31575

Oops, wrong thread :)

Junpei
04-18-2002, 10:03 PM
According to the official Japanese site for Versus, the R2 DVD is coming out on April 26th.

I think there are extras on the disc, like the trailer and some other things, and yes, English subtitles.

If only I had enough cash on hand to afford it...

Edited to include a link to the official site, here (http://www.kss-movie.com/versus/)

Can anyone translate the site? Or at least this page (http://www.kss-movie.com/versus/news.html#video_dvd) which lists the extras on the DVD? :D

FulciZombieFan
05-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Hello :)

Here is info on the Japanese R2 NTSC DVD Video release of VERSUS ... this info comes from the official web site and was translated using the AltaVista Babel Fish.

5 large image benefits:

- Audio commentary
(In main part secondary sound all the compilation recording / Kitamura dragon flat supervision, Sakaguchi , Shoichiro Sakaki hero and Masumoto, the Shin Hiroshi loyal retainer Y, Yamaguchi the photographing anecdote due to grandly)

- Making image
("BEHIND VERSUS PART-1 THE BIRTH OF THE DARK HERO") (approximately 27 minutes)

- VERSUS SIDE STORY " NERVOUS " (approximately 7 minutes)

- Trailer (theater trailer and original trailer, advertisement spot) (total approximately 4 minutes)

- English subtitle (ENGLISH SUBTITLES)

I know Babel Fish ain't perfect but considering I can't understand ANY form of Japanese it's pretty amazinig to get as much info as you can from it! hehehe

- John Coleman

Azathoth
05-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by poorlogic
I picked up the R2 PAL disc and thought it was one of the better films I've seen in a long time. As for the disc, well, it plays like a VCD - no menu and no chapter stops. Still, the quality is good enough without having to purchase a R1 disc.

I picked this one up unknowing that it was a bootleg. I had a horrid 10-generation VHS dub a friend sent me and I was under the impression that this title was actually released on DVD already.

Its a R0 NTSC widescreen disk with non-removeable English subs. As soon as I put it in I realized that the VHS copy I have is made from the exact same source as this DVD.

Question is, just what is this source from? Screener tape or what?

Junpei
05-21-2002, 12:25 AM
It's confirmed! Media Blasters has Versus!!!

See for yourself (http://www.media-blasters.com/acquistion.cfm?label=Tokyo%20Shock)

Now if that new Fango with the Kitamura interview would hurry up and get here...

Sinister Ash
05-22-2002, 08:40 PM
do you think that for the first time media blasters will make a versus dvd with menus and extras???

Junpei
05-25-2002, 05:59 AM
New Fango (#213, with a Lovecraft beastie from Dagon on the cover) has an article on Versus, including an interview with the writer/director Ryhuei Kitamura.

The article mentions Media Blaster's plans for the movie:

Limited theatrical release in late summer/fall, then to video.

Sweet! A chance to see it on the big screen!

It's a pretty good article, Kitamura talks about his influences, favorite directors, and mentions that he'd like to do a sequel someday. He does have a contract with Dimension...

Edited to add, not a sequel to Versus. A sequel as in one of the franchises. :)

KillerCannabis
05-31-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm glad to hear Media Blasters has it. With the good job they did on Riki-Oh, I cant wait to see what they do with this.

Linn
06-01-2002, 03:42 PM
but MB did nothing to Riki. They just brought over the HK DVD and put it in a different box!! We'll see if they can manage to ever put out a good Asian DVD, I hope so. It's kinda sad they put so much effort into their Italian stuff, and the Asian films just sorta sit there in comparison. BTW, the DEFENITIVE version of Riki will be coming soon from Hong Kong Legends!!!!

KillerCannabis
06-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Oh really? I just meant that they did a good job on Riki by even putting it out. It isnt a disc you can find anywhere, you know? What is supposed to be on this definitive version of Riki? I'd love to have a nice 16X9 transfer with good extras. I hope they do the same with Versus.

KillerCannabis
06-05-2002, 10:19 PM
I'm also looking forward to the limited theatrical release. Too bad it'll probably only be playing in LA, but I'll still make the drive. I have a bootleg now, but nothing beats the big screen.