View Full Version : Horror Of Dracula DVD menus

KR~!
04-06-2002, 03:42 AM
http://www.dvdreview.com/news/images/HorrorDraculaMenu.jpg

Pretty cool, huh?

mutleyhyde
04-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Awesome! Thanks for posting that KR. Oh yes, it will be mine. :D

Oh, and um, moving to Hammer... er, I mean Classics. :)

Sorry J Man, but this ones mine! Heh heh. ;)

Behemoth
04-06-2002, 01:34 PM
You can see the covers for "Horror of Dracula" and "Curse of Frankenstein" here: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

mac-hammer-fan
04-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Well, I am happy that there are some extras too.
(thanks to the DVD Drive-In!).
The coverart is great indeed.
2 great Hammer classics.
I hope the others will follow soon.
:) :) :)

I live in Europe. I guess I'll have to buy all the Hammers in the States... Only "Dracula Prince of Darkness" and "She" are released in the UK, but without extras. And the upcoming UK DVD "Vampire Lovers" is cut.

:mad:

crank
04-07-2002, 12:21 AM
I was completly shocked when The Mummy came out, but this eclipses that. I cannot wait.

crank

KR~!
04-07-2002, 04:19 AM
I was a bit shocked that it took this long for one of the greatest Dracula films to be release on DVD, but I am very happy that at last it seems to be here.

Later this year anyway;)

carl.kolchak
04-07-2002, 06:28 AM
Very cool! Warner is really teasing us early :)

mac-hammer-fan , what info do you have on the UK VAMPIRE LOVERS? I was thinking about maybe picking one up but if it's cut I think I'll wait for the R1 MGM.

Fart Lighter
04-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by carl.kolchak
Very cool! Warner is really teasing us early :)

mac-hammer-fan , what info do you have on the UK VAMPIRE LOVERS? I was thinking about maybe picking one up but if it's cut I think I'll wait for the R1 MGM.

Apparently it's the old cut shorter US version, running about 3 minutes shorter than the original cut. And rumours are going about that it's pan & scan as well. Aren't MGM or somebody supposed to be giving it a region 1 release soon? I could have sworn I read about it somewhere.

mac-hammer-fan
04-07-2002, 12:05 PM
The UK Disk of the "Vampire Lovers" is the US edit, missing some gore and nudity. I don't know what exactly. I believe that the scenes of decapitation are missing some frames. Perhaps they have trimmed the sequences at the end of the movie where Peter Cushing puts a stake in the vampires . I am also confused about the running time mentioned by the BBFC.
The UK cinema version is approx. 91 minutes. However a PAL video runs faster: approx. 4 min and then we come close to the 87 minutes of the UK DVD release. But there was a PAL VIDEO some years ago with a running time of 91 minutes. This should be a longer version than the (cut) cinema version or perhaps it is a mistake in the database.
The UK DVD is full screen and there are no extras.
I was told that the US MGM release will restore all the deleted footage and will have a commentary track. So this is the one to buy if you have a regio free or code 1 DVD-player.
"Vampire Lovers" will be released april 15th in the UK and at the end of the year in the US.
I was going to buy both versions. I own the MGM NTSC tape too. I will let you know within a few weeks what the exact differences are.

carl.kolchak
04-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info! :cool: If it turns out to be uncut and open matte rather than pan & scan it should be worth a look. I had the MGM Midnite Movie VHS too, that one was uncut , right?

mac-hammer-fan
04-07-2002, 09:34 PM
According to sources the NTSC MGM Tape (which I own) restores most of the cut footage, but not all. The scenes in the crypt where the Baron destroys the vampires with a stake were more graphic in the theatrical release I have seen in Belgium 30 years ago. There was more blood and gore. But I remember also that in this release the decapitation of the female vampire in the beginning happened faster (it was more convincing imo) because they omitted some frames during that moment.
I don't expect a complete version on the UK DVD...
But if it only would be just like the MGM tape, I would be happy with it. (for now)
The UK DVD won't have any extras or an audio commentary track and it is definetely full screen, not 16x9 enhanced.

carl.kolchak
04-08-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks m-h-f, I was also happy with the cut MGM used on their VHS, it's the most complete version I've seen.

Give us the scoop on the UK DVD if you get it, I've been really tempted to order it from Bensons, it's about $16 US which isn't bad. :)

mac-hammer-fan
04-09-2002, 10:52 PM
If you live in the US, I would wait for the MGM US release at the end of the year, because it will have some nice extras and it will be uncut. And perhaps it will be 16 x 9 instead of 4 x 3.
:rolleyes: