PDA

View Full Version : Cool used VHS find!!!

Joel Groce
04-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Rummaging through the used VHS at the grocery can pay off sometimes (though to varying degrees). First tape I saw on the table was "Revenge of the Dead" - cover was cool, looked like an Italian production, but haven't heard of it so figured I wouldn't just pick it up (money is a little tight) - checking my video guide it gives it one star(which may or may not mean that it sucks) - has anyone else seen it - it came out in '84. Then I saw a copy of "Red Rock West" - now I love this film, but as it's on DVD already, I will wait and pick that one up later. Then it was crap, crap, crappier until the very last one , "Visiting Hours" with Michael Ironside , which mind you is quite far from the holy grail, but damn it if I don't fall for these old-school slashers every time - I haven't seen this, but it was always on my to-rent list - so for $3 it was a no-brainer. Has anyone else scored any good finds lately with the domination of DVD upon us?

Agent Z
04-06-2002, 10:22 AM
I feel like such a dvd snob when I say this, but.....you couldn't give me a free vhs tape. With tivo and dvd at my disposal, I have no need for a tape format.

betterdan
04-06-2002, 12:11 PM
I agree with MISSIONCODEZ. Tivo and dvd have changed me for the better.

Mark Relford
04-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Joel Groce
Has anyone else scored any good finds lately with the domination of DVD upon us?

Well, I bought The Mutilator (uncut) and Slaughter High for four bucks each at a mom n' pop. Not a bad deal. They're holding Happy Birthday To Me and Mikey for me.

Joel, Visiting Hours rocked! That's a cool find.

Joel Groce
04-07-2002, 12:21 AM
Yeah, seeing as how far these flicks are from a DVD release - it is cool to get them so cheap! I've heard good stuff about "The Mutilator" - plenty of graphic bloodletting with lots of weapons and so forth! Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity of pilfering the couple of small vid stores here before they closed their gates for good.

rhett
04-07-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
They're holding Happy Birthday To Me and Mikey for me.
Mikey is a pretty good little film Mark, especially when you watch it after Brian Bonsall's other "hit" film Blank Check. :D

I picked up Hellbilly's favorite, Final Exam, and Graduation Day cheap from the local videostore recently. I am wholeheartedly against buying any film that is not in its original aspect ratio, but most of the post-Friday the 13th slasher films are merely exercises in entertainment rather than as an artistic expression. Granted there are exceptions, but I feel much better buying a cropped slasher film than a pan and scan Oscar winner, ya know?

I've got satellite and the whole works, but I have not given up on VHS. There are just too many obscure films that will never see the light of day on satellite or DVD out there to be ignored. The quality of VHS may be the shits, but hey, its better than nothing.

betterdan
04-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Hey Mark you're from Virginia Beach right? Is the store you bought The Mutilator uncut from got it Video? I rented it from there a while back and made a dub of it. Good flick. I hope it comes to dvd soon.

Joel Groce
04-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Yeah, these films are not artistically drawn like say an Argento film so I've no qualms about OAR either. The main thing is that they're uncut - good job on "Final Exam" by the way. I really liked this one with it's blatant nods to "Halloween".

Hellbilly
04-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by rhett
I picked up Hellbilly's favorite, Final Exam, and Graduation Day cheap from the local videostore recently.

lol, your pushing it rhettman. :D What, no "Ghoulies Go The College" while you were at it? :p
Originally posted by a moose humping canadian ham with a mullet
I've got satellite and the whole works, but I have not given up on VHS. There are just too many obscure films that will never see the light of day on satellite or DVD out there to be ignored. The quality of VHS may be the shits, but hey, its better than nothing.
I also got the whole works but once in a while I still watch some of my old VHS tapes, just for the nostalgic fun of it.
Anyways, rhetts is right about some movies never going to see the light of day on DVD. Let's just pray to god that "Final Exam" is one of 'em. :D :p ;)

rhett
04-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by HellbillyDeluxe
lol, your pushing it rhettman. :D What, no "Ghoulies Go The College" while you were at it? :p
Haha! Actually, I did look for it, but alas it was not for sale. Its a camp classic, a guilty pleasure that I'm not affraid to admit! :D

Originally posted by HitlerDeluxe
Anyways, rhetts is right about some movies never going to see the light of day on DVD. Let's just pray to god that "Final Exam" is one of 'em. :D :p ;)
Haha, ouch, I can only take so much Helly! :D I think Joel said it best though:

Originally posted by Joel "The Man" Groce
good job on "Final Exam" by the way. I really liked this one with it's blatant nods to "Halloween".
What's that Helly, someone else likes Final Exam? I never saw any posts of that nature (or any at all for that matter) about HOSR in this thread. One of these days you are just going to have to face it Helly, Final Exam just blows the pants off HOSR. :D :) I know it will take time to come to terms with this, but eventually you should be able to perservere and acknowledge FE as the classic it is! :D

Hellbilly
04-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by some c-bacon

HitlerDeluxe

LOL!
Originally posted by horrorboy101

Actually I loved the film and being 1983 before SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE I don't believed it ripped off much. I did love the music, the deaths, the acting was very decent for a low budget slasher pic, the actresses have gone on to become semi-famous. There actually was a nice chase at two points in the film. The girl who was decapitated in the bathroom was chased for about 3-4 minutes and at the end the main girl was chased for about 3. Yes we didn't see the killer's face, no it didn't work as well as BC, but it did do for the film and I can see why many people enjoy the film. I can still remember the trailer, it looked sort of like a HEATHERS type movie, even though it came out before HEATHERS the preview made the film look like the girls were killing each other sort of in a dark humor way.

Originally posted by David "the man man" 666
I remember seeing this as a little kid, but thats about all i remember. I have many times picked it up at the store, but always found something else I knew for sure I wanted. hellbilly has pretty good taste, I think I am gonna go ahead and pick it up though. Sadly, with so many things coming out int he next three months... singles like "Jeepers Creepers", "Tomb Raider", "Madonna: Drowned World", and blah blah blah as well as box sets (Buffy, Twin Peaks, QAF, X-Files 4) It will be round the middle of January before I get a chance. Maybe I can ask for it as a Holiday present. Hmmmmm. My mother actually got me "Brain Damage" last year.
Ok, I rest my case....:D :D :D :p :p :p ;)

Mark Relford
04-08-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by betterdan
Hey Mark you're from Virginia Beach right? Is the store you bought The Mutilator uncut from got it Video? I rented it from there a while back and made a dub of it. Good flick. I hope it comes to dvd soon.

I'm from Indy. I got The Mutilator at V-H-One Video. They were making room for recent horror movies.:rolleyes: I would love to see it on DVD. There's not enough old school slashers on DVD.:(

Mark Relford
04-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Final Exam and HOSR suck!:p Try watching a good slasher like Humongous.;):D

rhett
04-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Then I saw a copy of "Red Rock West" - now I love this film.
Red Rock West is really a great film. John Dahl is a very good director, and Dennis Hopper is NEVER bad. Good call on that one Joel.

Never heard of it markus, but it looks like a big must see slasher film. :D I'll definitely check it out. And it's Canadian to boot, daaaaamn! :cool:

Shannafey
04-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Though, I hate buying any VHS myself, there are a ton of deals out there to be found. I bought a bunch of classic horrors for $5 each at a video store that was going out of business. If it's not yet on DVD, it's definitely worth the price of admission!!!

Trout
04-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Rummaging through the used VHS at the grocery can pay off sometimes (though to varying degrees). First tape I saw on the table was "Revenge of the Dead" - cover was cool, looked like an Italian production, but haven't heard of it so figured I wouldn't just pick it up (money is a little tight) - checking my video guide it gives it one star(which may or may not mean that it sucks) - has anyone else seen it - it came out in '84.

I think this film is also called Zeder. Not a bad little flick (if you get it in the correct version).