PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations?

y2doublet
04-07-2002, 08:18 PM
So, I was thinking about picking up some Asian horror from DDDhouse. Any recommendations? I haven't seen much really, so bring the suggestions on.

DVD Connoisseur
04-07-2002, 08:57 PM
... Audition is a must! (See film of the month for March.)

Also, for starters:-

Red To Kill (Not to everybody's taste but I enjoyed it)

Battle Royale

Another Heaven

There are so many inexpensive horror films available from DDD House, sometimes it's worth a gamble with "unknown" titles. Don't forget to let us know what you think of them!

Black_Mandarin
04-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Uzumaki is cheap too, and an interesting film. Seventh Curse is really good, off the wall fun.

Lindane
04-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Seventh Curse is the bomb shit! I thought I was the only one. Same guy that did Story Of Ricky.

suggestions:
Battle Royale
Versus
Audition
Ring
Story of Ricky
Tell me Something
Uzumaki
Evil Dead Trap
Fudoh

y2doublet
04-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Dang, I can't seem to find Versus on their site. Anyhow, thanks for the recommendations! Now I have some films to check out!

y2doublet
04-10-2002, 10:26 AM
There's like twenty titles that just screams for to be bought, half of which I can't even find on DDDHouse's site. So to fit this into the budget I thought I'd narrow the purchase down to about six titles for the moment. And therefor I'll specify what I seek in my Asian horror. I have seen Organ which I really liked, with all the gross-out gore and violence along with some serious wacked-out surreal Cronenberg-ish atmosphere. So basically I think I'm looking after something in that vein. A little bit of dark and grim, along with some macabre humor would do the trick, and to top it of some serious doses of gore. So, can you guys cook me up some titles so I can buy them?

Maupin
04-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Well, based on what you want I think Uzumaki and Story of Ricki should be in your first order, at least. One is ultra-violent and the other is ultra-surreal and neither take themselves seriously. Biozombie has a nice sense of humor to it, as well.

DVD Connoisseur mentioned Another Heaven which is pretty good. I might watch that one again tonight. Gotta love that tough-ass police captain who goes against the stereotype and helps his subordinate instead of just chewing him out like all the American police captains do.

Lindane
04-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Y2doublet:

I liked Organ a lot too. Have you seen Tetsuo The Iron Man? That's quite similar to Organ in some ways. If you haven't seen it then add it to my list below. I have a pretty decent sized Asian Horror collection and if I were to narrow it down to 6 titles here's what I would choose.
In no particular order

1. Evil Dead Trap (kinda same vein as Organ)
2. Story of Ricky (does indeed rock!)
3. Audition
4. Battle Royale
5. Ring
6. Gemini