PDA

View Full Version : Just how disturbing is The Audition?

mysterX
04-12-2002, 06:48 AM
I'm thinking about ordering this from Amazon (soon release).
Can someone provide details of some of the images?

Behemoth
04-12-2002, 10:24 AM
"Audition" is VERY disturbing. I love it. :D

Lindane
04-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Just IMO. The Audition is a fantabulous film!! I would not go as far as to say "disturbing" though. I guess it all depends on one's threshold for fear though. There is a lot of cool flashes of intense imagery, but nothing that would scare (or disturb) the trousers off.

gusse
04-12-2002, 10:31 AM
It's pretty damn disturbing if you ask me... Me and my friend who I saw the movie with were both cringeling constantly the last 1/3 och the movie. Powerful stuff! Don't want to ruin it for you, but the thing you might want to know before you go out and buy it is that it's a pretty slow film in many ways. This pacing is deliberat, and without the first "slow" 2/3 of the movie (caracter studies)the final third would not have been as powerful. I won't tell you any more since knowing too much of this movie might ruin the impact of it!

Lindane
04-12-2002, 10:35 AM
I won't tell you any more since knowing too much of this movie might ruin the impact of it!

Yea, don't let anyone ruin this for you. I say just go out and get it now! No questions asked.

Hellbilly
04-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Yes, get it. It's one hell of a disturbing/great movie. I love it.

"kirikirikiri" (or something like that :D )

KillerCannabis
04-12-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm really looking forward to picking up this disc. I've been on a big Asian horror kick since watching Battle Royale. This disc is apparently scheduled for R1 release on 5/7. Although, I dont know from what studio or if it is even a confirmed release date. But if it is, I'll damn sure be picking it up.

Shannafey
04-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by gusse
It's pretty damn disturbing if you ask me... Me and my friend who I saw the movie with were both cringeling constantly the last 1/3 och the movie. Powerful stuff! Don't want to ruin it for you, but the thing you might want to know before you go out and buy it is that it's a pretty slow film in many ways. This pacing is deliberat, and without the first "slow" 2/3 of the movie (caracter studies)the final third would not have been as powerful. I won't tell you any more since knowing too much of this movie might ruin the impact of it!

I second everything that Gusse says.

mysterX
04-12-2002, 07:38 PM

BlazeRockhard
04-12-2002, 07:50 PM
I'm really looking forward to this release as I've heard lots about this movie. FWIW I just noticed that deepdiscountdvd has "Audition Director's Cut" up for pre order for $17.99. Shows a release date of 5/7/02 so I am assuming this is the same one that is listed at Amazon. Does anyone know who is releasing this or have any other details about this release?

Thanks,
Blaze Rockhard

DVD Connoisseur
04-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Shannafey

I second everything that Gusse says.

And I third it!:D

The movie of 2001 for me (and I watched it in January!).

Maupin
04-13-2002, 05:35 AM
I also agree with Gusse, but I'm afraid for me "disturbing" is going too far. Perhaps some of the background information dredged up by the main character is mildly disturbing, but I'd say "cringe-inducing" is the best description for this movie. And of course I refer to the ending. The structure really makes a difference and the first 2/3 of Audition are like slloowwwly stretching a rubber band.

Well, maybe casting directors will find this movie disturbing. It's not a perfect movie, but it's original and worth watching.

Lindane
04-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Nobody in Asia at this point in time rocks harder than Takashi Miike!!!!!!NOBODY. This guy is the fuckin man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!One of the best film makers of all time. This fucker probably sweats bullets for his shit! He does like 10 movies a year! And whats amazing is that they are actually quality shits!

dvdasia62
04-13-2002, 11:00 PM
I think "Audition" is one of the most disturbing, yet beautiful films I have ever scene. Miike does a masterful job behind the camera and his character developement is essential to the films stunning last half hour or so.

Erg0n
04-14-2002, 05:56 AM
hows the dvd? if its even out yet.

dvdasia62
04-14-2002, 07:38 AM
The R1 DVD I think comes out in May. I have the Tartan PAL disc which is ok. Nothing really to complain about.

napalm68
04-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Warning bells generally go off in my head when I hear can't tell you what happens or it may spoil it. Makes me worry that it is a once off film, no repeat viewability. How many of you have actually watched the whole thing twice or more? Like comparing Sixth Sense and Jacob's Ladder. I've watched Sixth Sense once, and I keep watching Jacobs Ladder. Film has to have more than some smartass twist to make it worthwhile...

gusse
04-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Napalm68:

I know what you are talking about... The sixth sense was pretty good the first time round when you wasnt prepared for the final revalation, but it wasnt anything all that special after that (if you ask me). Jacob's Ladder on the other hand - theres a movie so rich of layers, details and mystiqe that it just keeps getting better each time you watch it. Jacob's Ladder is my alltime favorite movie and I have seen it (probably) 15 times or something like that.

To be honest I haven't seen Audition more than once, but I do imagine that it is worthwhile to watch again and again. I don't think it'll lose it's punch on repeated viewings the same way Sixth sense does. I still don't want to tell you too much of the movie - but i can tell you that i don't concider it as dependant on the 'twist ending' as (for instance) The Sixth Sense. But, as allways - this is just my humble opinion so I might be wrong... But I would advice you to check this movie out ATLEAST once! :)

dvdasia62
04-19-2002, 01:05 AM
I have watched it several times, showing it to friends, and it still packs a punch and reeks of disturbing atmosphere. Smart ass twist?? Not sure what that means but the twist here was calculated, flawless and disturbing. :)

DeepDownTraumaHound
04-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by napalm68
Warning bells generally go off in my head when I hear can't tell you what happens or it may spoil it. ...It's not really a "surprise" ending so much as a disturbingly intense ending. We don't want you to get the wrong idea. repeated viewing? = yes

Black_Mandarin
04-20-2002, 08:34 PM
File me under- 'It was less good the second time around.' It was still impressive, but once I knew where it was going, it was a long ride to get there.

Erg0n
04-22-2002, 07:59 AM
here's some info on the R1 dvd if you didn't check it out already.

http://dvdshrine.com/gems/?letter=A

Sinister Ash
04-24-2002, 07:16 PM
looks like the r1 disc will be pretty good.

and as for rewatching this film.... I would definitely say it's worth watching again. after I watched it the first time... I had a urge to watch it later that night.......

maybe I'm just a maniac.

Erg0n
04-24-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm just surprised that it's even getting a R1 release. I just find it weird that the person said this movie was the japanese version of american psycho