PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Trap

rbowden81
04-13-2002, 07:57 PM
I saw this in Best Buy yesterday. I remembered reading about it but couldn't remember what was said. Needless to say I didn't buy it but I was wondering if I should go back and pick it up later. Is it worth it? I think the price was like 19 bucks. I heard it's got some pretty good gore. I've also never watched a full movie in subtitles, but I think if I really enjoy the movie then I won't mind. Just looking for some people's opinions who have seen the movie.

Thanks

Wermode
04-13-2002, 08:44 PM
If you like creepy atmosphere (Silent Hill style), go for it.

I really enjoy the film. I wasn't crazy about one element of the end (avoiding spoiler, here), but all in all it's a very good horror film.

As for the subtitles, I much prefer hearing the actual actors' voices and reading subtitles. Dubbed English almost always leaves something to be desired. Don't let subtitles stand in your way, or you'll miss out on many of the world's best movies, IMHO.

dvdasia62
04-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Hello all, glad to be here. I really enjoyed "EDT" with it's creepy atmosphere and Argento like camera techniques. When this was released, I think I read where it was the most or one of the most popular horror films in Japan ever. Some truly different murder set pieces but a bit of a let down in the end. Overall, it's a cool movie and Synapse did a pretty good job on the disc. :)

DVD Connoisseur
04-14-2002, 01:11 AM
In fact, this was going to be an Asian Horror Movie of the Month (still might be!).

The film has a lot of things going for it - if you sprinkled a little flavouring from Argento, Fulci and Cronenberg's films into a pot and cooked on a low flame, this is the result you'd expect.

It's atmsopheric, violent and unexpected.

There's the usual rather distasteful rape sequence but, apart from that, it's an interesting and (sometimes) frightening experience (let down by the last 20 minutes, or so).

The Synapse release is a must. This is one of my most treasured discs.

Give it a go....

rbowden81
04-14-2002, 04:45 AM
Thanks a lot, I think I'm gonna pick it up next time I'm at best buy. It is the Synapse release too.

slinker
04-14-2002, 07:56 AM
Dubbed English almost always leaves something to be desired. Don't let subtitles stand in your way, or you'll miss out on many of the world's best movies, IMHO.
I whole heartedly agree, i cant stand it when my mates won`t watch a film just because theres subtitles....anyhow `Evil Dead Trap` is cool although this film got me into trouble with customs when i tried to import it years back :mad:
The synapse DVD is definately recommended, love those death scenes! :)

Lindane
04-14-2002, 11:28 AM
i cant stand it when my mates won`t watch a film just because theres subtitles...

Yea, that annoys the crap out of me. It makes me feel uncomfortable too if me and my friends end up watching one. I feel like their bored and it bothers me. You heard the man. Don't let subtitles stand in your way! Oh and Evil Dead Trap is one of my Asian Favorites! I think I saw it at BB for $14.99. Either that or $17.99. You can't go wrong

STREET TRASH
04-15-2002, 04:15 PM
EVIL DEAD TRAP is a classic. If you enjoy Dario Argento films, you'll love this, too.

The ending goes on for a bit long, but otherwise an almost flawless piece of work.

Sinister Ash
04-16-2002, 06:23 PM
I can't stand it when people won't watch a film because it is subbed either.... it annoys the crap outta me. People need to watch films uncut, OAR, W/ORIGINAL SDTK! Screw DUB!

Lindane
04-17-2002, 07:33 AM
Screw DUB!

I agree with you for the most part Ash but some movies are only the bomb shit just because of their distasteful dub jobs. Take for example movies like Zombie '90 Extreme Pestilence and Shogun Assassin. And most ol' school Kung-Fu flicks for that matter.

Zombie 90: Only worth watching simply because of the crappy dub job. It's so horrendous it's fucking hilarous! They couldn't get any girls for the dubbing so the guys that did it had to sound like chicks for the girl scenes. Also, everybody in this film is white but all of their voices sound black.

Shogun Assassin: Man those are some of the most over-used voice samples Iv'e ever heard. And there's a reason for this. Because the people (the boy especially) that dubbed this fucking rocked! I don't know what is more over-sampled in the music industry- Shogun Assassin or Samuel L. Jackson's bible quotes from Pulp Fiction.

I do, in most cases prefer original language to dubbs though.

Zombie Keeper
04-17-2002, 10:21 PM
This one has Argento/Fulci style all over it. But they made the
killer to obvious and the ending was some what of a letdown.

Just my $.02