PDA

View Full Version : House by the Cemetary

David666
06-21-2001, 10:18 AM
I wnated to thank Dave for the great review of House by the Cemtary (AB DVD). Great review, man. As always, really. But i was certainly looking forward to this review.

I can completely relate to the "watching a film several times to find enjoyment." This recently happened to me with Crouchin Tiger, Hidden Dradon. When I first saw the film at the theatre I hated it with a monstrous pulsating, purple passion. In fact I posted my thoughts on it on many forums aorund the net. Suddenly I felt the need to rent the DVD to give it a second shot, and sure enough I highly enjoyed it. Perhaps it was Michele Yeoh's informative and enlightning interview, perhaps with this viewing I could watch the dubbed version and see the amazing subtle performances and the emotion in the faintest change of Michele Yeoh's eyes. either way, I have changed my mind about the film as a whole. Though I still find the desert sequence tedious.

So I can certainly understand the notion of repeated viewing for better appreciation of a film. So House by the Cemetary and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon are now on my next purchase list. Can't wait to see the look on the cashier's face with that combo. LOL

Thanks again, Dave.

Rene
06-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Also Thanks from me for the review, it was very missed ;) Thereīs a little mix-up, I read something like "AB a bit sharper than EC", the opposite is the case. Also it would have been nice to see the hidden snippet mentioned. And not to forget the animated menu, because thatīs cool ;)

Paff
06-21-2001, 11:24 PM
I too found the "second viewing" recommendation interesting as well. Anyone who's read any of my posts here knows I'm not the biggest Fulci fan. But I've never seen any Fulci movie twice, so who knows? I'll be the first to admit that several of my most loved films got a HUGE thumbs-down on first viewing (Suspiria, Repo Man, Dazed and Confused, Evil Dead 2). Of course, the reason I disliked all those movies the first time is I was expecting something different. I've gone into many Fulci films aware of what I was getting into, and still disliked them. Add to that the fact that I somewhat enjoyed NY Ripper, and REALLY liked Don't Torture a Duckling, I get the feeling the charms of The Beyond, Zombie, City of the Living Dead, et al will still escape me.

As for Crouching Tiger, I liked it when I saw it in the theater, but wasn't blown away by it. I still bought it anyway (due to either the low price or seeing Zhang Ziyi in that nasty little outfit at the MTV awards), but I haven't given it my second viewing yet. If I like it even more the second time, then it'll be friggin great!

DVD Connoisseur
06-22-2001, 01:31 AM
Well, I'd really like to comment on this film but after DVD Box Office sent me the Diamond version instead of the much awaited AB DVD, I haven't been able to view it! I am not a happy camper... :mad:

Dave
06-22-2001, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. All I can say is I hated Beyond and House by the Cemetery the first time around. Now they're both classics in my book.

I was at the store the other day, torn over whether I should buy Cast Away or Crouching Tiger (having seen neither). I went with Cast Away. Yesterday I rented Crouching Tiger and loved it! Wish I bought Crouching Tiger instead. Cast Away was good, but it's the kind of movie that I'd never watch again, whereas Crouching Tiger definitely has some replay value. Anyway, I'll pick up Crouching Tiger soon enough.

I will update the review in regards to the hidden features, though my comments on the video quality shall stand.

Dave
06-22-2001, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. All I can say is I hated Beyond and House by the Cemetery the first time around. Now they're both classics in my book.

I was at the store the other day, torn over whether I should buy Cast Away or Crouching Tiger (having seen neither). I went with Cast Away. Yesterday I rented Crouching Tiger and loved it! Wish I bought Crouching Tiger instead. Cast Away was good, but it's the kind of movie that I'd never watch again, whereas Crouching Tiger definitely has some replay value. Anyway, I'll pick up Crouching Tiger soon enough.

I will update the review in regards to the hidden features, though my comments on the video quality shall stand.

Rene
06-22-2001, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Dave:
<STRONG>(...)
I will update the review in regards to the hidden features,</STRONG>
Nice, but donīt tell the whole secret, hehe ;) And the menu, the nice animated menu almost could be listed as an Extra ;)
<STRONG>though my comments on the video quality shall stand.</STRONG>
Uhm, why that? Sure some things are a matter of taste or of the personal view, and you are the reviewer/boss ;) But that the AB pic is not sharper (and even some kind of foggy) is a fact, nothing that I just say when Iīm bored :confused: For example take your own screencaps, letīs say compare right shot#1 from ABīs with ECīs and whoops, EC looks a bit too red but is sharper... fact ;)

Spacevis
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Well, I didn't really find a thread that discussed the story of this film, so I revived this thread. I have a question concerning the ending.

When Bob is locked in the basement and Norman tries to break open the door with an axe, Dr. Freudstein pushes Bob's face against the door. A very intense scene, Fulci truly is a master, but something strange happens in this scene and it's on the screen for only half a second. Fulci cuts repeatedly from Norman hacking away at the door tot Bob being pushed against the door by Freudstein's hand... but in one cut this hand has changed in what clearly appears to be a child's hand.
Another hint is given in the quote from Henry James at the end: "No one will ever know if monsters are children or children are monsters".

Now I know Fulci's trying to tell us something here, but I can't figure out what. Anyone here who can help me out?

atann
02-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Where is the link to the review I can't find it?

Agent Z
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Where is the link to the review I can't find it?

EC review:http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/hbtc/

Can't find the AB review link though.

Semerrill
02-02-2005, 09:18 PM
i bought a version of this movie and i never seen it sold anyone online or in stores could it be a bootleg ,ill scan it

Semerrill
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
bought it off of ebay so i think it is

Semerrill
02-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Semerrill
02-02-2005, 09:40 PM
i cant get the pic to upload

x666x
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I did not like this film at first, either. Love my Ultrabit copy, though.

Mortis
02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I thought he had one of each.

Now I know Fulci's trying to tell us something here, but I can't figure out what. Anyone here who can help me out?

Spacevis
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
???

one of each what?

Mortis
02-03-2005, 02:50 AM
One human arm and one child arm.

???

one of each what?

KR~!
02-03-2005, 03:10 AM
I want that Ultrabit version!

Coverdale
02-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Never thought this film was that good, but it was my first exposure to Fulci (on Diamond, to boot). Zombi 2, The Beyond, Don't Torture A Duckling, New York Ripper are all better in my book. However, I do like it better than City of the Living Dead, which for some reason has never clicked with me.

DefJeff
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I really like this one, it's my 3rd favorite Fulci, beaten out only by City of the Living Dead and New York Ripper. It's all about the awesome gore/death scenes, combine that with a great score and Bob and you've got a really fun film in my opinion.

I love the scene with Freudstein holding Bob's head against the door while his father is chopping it down with an axe. I think that's one of Fulci's best moments.

Vasilis
02-03-2005, 01:43 PM
There's some extra footage on the AB disc of HBTC. In the scene when Bob goes down the basement for the second time, he sees the pair of glowing eyes while hearing some kind of breathing (probably Dr Freudstein's). The eyes disappear, Bob turns around and sees them again. This happens once more and then he screams.
On the Diamond DVD, when Bob sees the eyes he screams immediately, so there're a few seconds of footage missing. The same thing applies to an old vhs copy of Hbtc which i have.
Does anybody know if the EC Ultrabit edition has the scene intact? :banana:

The Chaostar
02-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I remember me reading that the scene you mention is not in the Ultrabit edition, but I can't remember the site.

Cantona07
02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I have the EC Ultrabit edition and I do not recall such a scene in this version, mind you I have not seen it in a while

x666x
02-03-2005, 03:36 PM
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2164

Crystal Plumage
02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
EC review:http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/hbtc/

Can't find the AB review link though.
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/hbtc-ab/

Is the Ultrabit really only in mono?
The AB disc has stereo sound.....