PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Universal Classic Monster

gusse
04-17-2002, 12:03 PM
Which is your favorite monster- character/movie among Universal's classics?

Dracula
Frankenstein
The Mummy
The Bride Of Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
The Invisible Man
The Phantom Of THe Opera
The Creature From The Black Lagoon

(How the hell do I make a poll!?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the Classic Monster Collection recently and have only had the time to view The Wolf Man, The Mummy and Frankenstein yet. Out of those I would shoose Frankenstein, but Wolf Man isn't far behind!

Yowie
04-18-2002, 11:07 PM
That'd be good old Frank for me, thank you. -But only if played by Karloff.

http://www.ie-commerce.net/library/photos/163/163843.jpg

I like the first film best because it is the eeriest, and has almost no music which adds to its spooky atmosphere.
Second is "Bride..." for its many memorable scenes, although I could do with a little less humor.
Third is the underrated "Son..." with its awesome German-like expressionistic sets.

Joel Groce
04-19-2002, 09:26 AM
Well - I've only watched "Frankenstein" and "The Mummy" and these were both excellent with "Frankenstein" being a little bit better IMHO. Next up is probably "Creature..." soon, real soon. It is hard not to laugh at some scenes though after seeing "Young Frankenstein" - but as soon as Karloff shows up I shut the fuck up.:D

gusse
04-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Watched "Bride of Frankenstein" for the first time yesterday. I honsetly wasnt prepared for the huge amount of humor that was in it - I was expecting it to be more like the original. It took a bit of getting used to, but after a while it fellt just right. Havent made up my mind abou which movie I prefere though - both are very good, but quite different. The first one is pretty searious ghotic oldschool horror wit a touch of sci-fi and drama, the second one is sort of a gothic horror-comedy sci-fi flick. I probably enjoy the "Bride" more after all since there are so many wonderful characters and more productionvalue - but before I'm making a final statement I have to see both the movies atleast one time more...

Masterbrain
04-23-2002, 08:21 PM
1. Dracula
2. The Wolfman
3. The Invisibleman
4. Frankenstein
5. Creature from the Black Lagoon
6. The Mummy

Mr_Man
04-25-2002, 12:51 AM
I must admit I've only see bits of all those movies ,but Frankenstein is the one that stood out.

Meanie
04-25-2002, 02:12 AM
1. Frankenstein
2. Dracula
3. Phantom of the Opera (Chaney's phantom)
4. Wolfman
5. Mummy
6. Creature from the Black Lagoon

thrashard76
04-25-2002, 04:38 AM
Ok, I guess I'd pick Nosferato...the old ?German? dracula....ha-ha-ha!http://diamondbangers.com/ubb/graemlins/asthanos.gif

KillerCannabis
04-26-2002, 12:44 AM
I'd have to go with Creature From the Black Lagoon. I always loved that movie as a kid and now I need to put a rush on getting that disc since its out of print now. Damn Universal.

swamptours
05-28-2002, 01:59 AM
I'll go out on a limb and pick The Mummy. Someone has to. I enjoy the "sequels" more than The Mummy. I remember watching these as a child and still love them today. Frankenstein and The Creature from the Black Lagoon are close behind.

thrashard76
05-28-2002, 07:48 AM
Dr. Frankenstein was the epidome of Universal's Classic Monsters! He was a man not a mystical creature but flesh and blood gone mad...good stuff.

And it's pronounced...Frank-en-stein!

mutleyhyde
06-05-2002, 06:07 AM
I like Jack Griffin. Genius, driven insane by discovery. His story also presents a study of how society reacts to an unknown quantity. Actually, there are several points that Griffin's story shares with Frankenstein's. One may come to the conclusion that this has to do with James Whale directing both original films, but the stories were there on paper before he ever got to them. I think it's more a case that Whale agreed to doing the films because they had similar themes that he could relate to.

I love all of the Universal movies, but the Invisible Man series and early Frankensteins are my favorites. Karloff as The Mummy rules, and the sequels are pretty fun too. The Wolf Man kicks butt. Creature is classic, but a little slow for me. Dracula is slow as hell, but the scenes are kick ass.

I just wish they'd put the Invisible Man sequels out already. :mad:

thrashard76
06-05-2002, 07:11 AM
I wonder if the newer generation will be soon under the influence of VS movies from more modern villians. Since Freddy VS Jason is coming soon...how long will it be before it becomes a common accurance? That is having Pinhead verses Warlock, Chucky verses Puppet Masters and Leatherface verses Jason? :rolleyes:

rhett
09-09-2002, 05:40 AM
Bela Lugosi's Dracula rules the roost. He makes Christopher Lee look like a 6th grader!

Max Yokell
09-09-2002, 12:10 PM
This should have been a poll. :)

Today I will pick the Creature from the Black Lagoon, who knows in an hour or a day I could change my mind again.

Max

DefJeff
09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
mines also Creature from the Black Lagoon

moogong
09-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Make that another for Creature from the Black Lagoon. Not only a great movie but a great dvd with cool features.

I'm hoping the sequel get a dvd release sometime in the near future.