PDA

View Full Version : Halloween movies

Behemoth
04-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Having only seen the first 2 Halloweens before, as well as H20, I had a "Halloween week" last week, when I watched nr 4, 5 and 6 three nights in a row. I loved the original Halloween, and thought nr 2 was pretty good - H20 was OK, I guess. I didn't really expect much putting on 4, but I really liked it! The acting was good and it was fairly suspenseful. Also, I loved the ending. However, when I watched 5 I was appalled. This has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Does Michael Myers lie unconscious on the old hermit's bed for a whole year? And what's up with Michael driving around in a silly monster mask, trying to pass himself off as the boyfriend of the Tina character? Why not just fucking kill that irritating bitch when she first gets in the car? And the two comic relief cops? WTF!?!?! I had heard a lot of shit about 6, and it pretty much sucked, but I actually liked it better than 5, although it IS totally incomprehensible. I've read about the producer's cut on the internet, and it seems slightly better than the officially released version (which I saw). At least it had an ending...

Wermode
04-23-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm with you: Halloween and H4 are great, H2 is good enough. As for the others, one viewing was enough for me.

John
04-23-2002, 08:08 PM
I have the Halloween 6: Producer's Cut. It is soooooo much better than the theatrical release. I couldn't believe that people actually agreed to cut some of the scenes out. I have heard that there is some sort of alternate H20. I am not sure about the details, but it could be worth looking into.
BTW, did you guys see the Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Preview? There is a pic of Michael Myers behind Tyra Banks and a little writeup on the latest Halloween flick. Based on that pic, I have to ask WHY DO THEY KEEP MESSING WITH THE MASK????

Here's a link to the pic and writeup..................

http://www.ew.com/ew/preview/movie/0,6115,232137~1~0~,00.html

DVD Connoisseur
04-24-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by John
There is a pic of Michael Myers behind Tyra Banks and a little writeup on the latest Halloween flick. Based on that pic, I have to ask WHY DO THEY KEEP MESSING WITH THE MASK????

Maybe it's the atmospheric lighting but that mask looks very different from the original "Shatner", doesn't it? :(

KillerCannabis
04-24-2002, 11:30 AM
The first film and its sequel will always be my favorites. I thought parts 4 & 5 were pretty good with 4 being the better of the two. Part 6 had some good atmosphere and decent kill scenes, but the overall story lacked big time. H20 was sort of lame in my opinion. I hate teeny movies to begin with and the cast of Dawson's Creek doesn't belong in a Halloween movie. I hope 8 lives up to the decent reviews I've read of it so far. I'm skeptical of Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks being in the movie, but I'll give it a shot when it hits theaters.

rhett
04-24-2002, 06:20 PM
I love all the Halloween movies. If I were to rank them it would probably go:

1, 2, H20, 4, 5, 6

I thought H20 was well done. Let's face it, the plots of all the films other than the first two have been pretty lame, so H20 offers the perfect solution. Almost no plot, short run time, Jamie Lee Curtis, and almost an hour of good ol' fashioned stalking. Showing Laurie Strode's disfunctional lifestyle was pretty realistic and a welcome addition too.

Halloween 4 was very stylish. Like I've said before, it is done with a craft that would make even Hitchcock somewhat proud. Donald Pleasance is always great, and I love how they let him really ham it up in the later sequels. And that teaser scene with Kathleen Kinmont didn't hurt the film either. :D

I like Halloween 5 a lot more than most on this forum. I think it definitely has some serious flaws, with the addition of the "Man in Black" being the largest. The film would have been fine without him, and wouldn't have fueled the idea for the whole cult thing in H6. I thought the "air chute" scene was one of the most exciting, and most well done scenes of all the films. The Psycho-ist twist also adds for good excitement.

Halloween 6 did create good atmosphere, and Michael was pretty creepy in it too, but the story was downright stupid. Threw what was left of the plausibility of the first films right out the window. Because of DP's death during filming, the ending is kind of empty and ill composed.

And of course, the first two films are great. :D

Andrew
04-25-2002, 03:55 AM
I remember seeing a trailer for something like Halloween: The Origin of Michael Myers a long time ago on one of the countless flicks me and my friend rented from Blockbuster. At the time it looked sweet, but I'm guessing it is what we now know as The Curse of Mikey. :D.

Aside from the original (which we all know is the best), I like 4, 2, 5, H20, and 6 in that order. Unfortunately, 4 and 5 have blended together in my mind, but I'm hoping to go on a slasher frenzy and get all the available Friday's and Halloween's. But that's beside the point. I never really liked 2 that much, but looking back I guess it was decent. Such a let down from the first though. H20 was one I hated first time around, but since then it's grown on me. It actually has some good atmosphere, but I keep waiting for them to leave the ugly little school, but nope. Well not till the end atleast. I liked 6 more than most people, but it's still the least of the series. I remember watching it in my friend's big basement and being confused, but I thought it was still pretty cool.

Mr_Man
04-25-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm a Michael die hard ,so I find charm in all of them.But if I must chose ,5 ,and 6 were the weakest entrys.

H20 got a bad rep for being a scream clone ,but all an all it was a good movie to me ,so I overlooked it.

I found it better then Scream.