PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Criterion (sealed)

TheShape
04-22-2002, 08:51 PM
I thought some of you might be interested. Seller won't ship to Canada so I guess I'm out of luck. If the seller is saying the truth, this laserdisc is BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED. It starts at 0.01 $ with no reserve. Given the seller feedback rating, this must be real. Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1532188151

wago70
04-23-2002, 05:56 PM
That is a great disc, too. I bought a used copy back in '96 for about $75. I bought a brand new copy at a used record store last Tuesday for only $9.95 (yeah, the CAV version with extras). I got lucky - but I have a feeling the eBay one will go high, why wouldn't it? Anyway, I hope one of you guys gets it - you would deserve such a nice package.

Dave
04-23-2002, 06:53 PM
This CAV set should sell for a lot more than it does. I've noticed they almost always sell for less than $40 on ebay. I guess it's because Anchor Bay's DVD looks so damn good. The commentary track on the CAV LD is an absolute must for Halloween fans though. I just wish Criterion didn't put all those extra before each side break. That is REALLY annoying. Side breaks interrupting the flow of the movie I can accept; that doesn't bother me at all. But EXTRAS before a side break? YUCK!

This Halloween CAV LD was one of my first laserdiscs. I bought it for around $70 from Criterion's web site. They used to sell laserdiscs directly over the Internet back in the early days, though they were actually shipped through Ken Cranes.

John
04-23-2002, 07:17 PM
This was the first laserdisc that I actually threw down some high dollars for. $99 was well worth the price to me. I agree thata Halloween fan MUST have this disc in his/her collection for the commentary alone.

bigdaddyhorse
04-29-2002, 04:58 AM
2 fucking dollars!
That sold for 2 fucking dollars!
To think I payed $15 for an open copy last year, it baffles me. I thought I got a steal.
Never know with ebay.

Dave
04-29-2002, 10:33 PM
Holy shit. I'd pay $10 for a friggin backup copy. How can people NOT want that? Even if I didn't have laserdisc, I'd want that as a collector.

Paff
04-29-2002, 11:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing. 2 bucks plus 6 shipping for a backup copy? Why not?

All I can say is that every person here with an LD player had BETTER already have a copy of this if they were willing to let a $2 Criterion Halloween slip through their hands...

jscott
04-30-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Paff

All I can say is that every person here with an LD player had BETTER already have a copy of this if they were willing to let a $2 Criterion Halloween slip through their hands...

Why is it I feel a gang-style beating coming upon me?

Paff
05-01-2002, 07:36 PM
You can avoid that beating by buying a Criterion Halloween disc...

seriously, if a SEALED one goes for $2, I'm sure the used ones don't go for a lot either.

Remember, the chances of the extras from that disc EVER hitting DVD are slim to none. Oh, and also make sure it's the CAV disc...the CLV disc contains no extras. If you're even a remote fan of the film, you have to own one.

I'm seriously considering buying a second copy. Hell, if it's only 2 bucks...

Dave
05-01-2002, 08:56 PM
I checked ebay and most of the other Halloween Criterion CAVs were selling over $20, which is beyond me backup disc price range. Plus Criterion's don't usually rot, unless they were pressed by Sony DADC, which Halloween wasn't. I think part of the reason that one sold cheap is that the seller didn't advertise there were extras on the disc. All he stated was that it was CAV, which means it DOES have the extras, unless the seller had a misprint and it was really the CLV version (i.e. bare bones).

Of course, with ebay you never know what something is going to sell for. If enough people want a particular item, the price can skyrocket.

I wanted to pick up the Millennium Japanese LD box sets that are ending today, but they went too high.

jscott
05-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Paff
You can avoid that beating by buying a Criterion Halloween disc...

But here's the thing, Paffster. I already have the THX Anchor Bay
DVD of Halloween, and I watch it maybe once a year. However,
I have Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, and The Thing on laserdisc, and I kinda want the Criterion Halloween disc for collector's purposes only, just to go with the other J.C. special edition LD's. But I'm really trying to stop myself from picking up multiple versions of the same films untill I find all the laserdiscs I'm still hunting for (The Thing from Another World, and Trainspotting Criterion are on the top of the list at the moment).