PDA

View Full Version : Jason X Discussion

rhett
04-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey guys, everyone's favorite stalker is back in theaters on Friday. I can't wait to see it, I am going to be first in line for sure (even though I have two exams the next day :eek: )! I will post my thoughts on the film here after I see it, so lets make this the unofficial Jason X discussion thread.

Anyone else psyched? :)

TobalRox
04-25-2002, 07:44 PM
I already saw the movie a couple months back, but I'll still go see it when it's released in theaters. It's a decent movie, definitely far from the worst of the series, but I don't think it'll do well. Oh well, it's their own fault for having a horrible trailer.

DefJeff
04-26-2002, 12:34 AM
yea, Tobal Rox pretty much summed up my feelings... ill still see it tomorrow tho. itll be nice to see a Friday flick on the big screen.

KillerCannabis
04-26-2002, 01:39 AM
I've been waiting to see this movie since I first heard they were getting to work on it almost 3 years ago. I'm going to be the first one at my local theater, but my only worry is that I'm also going to be the only one at my theater. They gave this movie a HORRIBLE trailer and everyone I've seen it in theaters or on TV with has said it looks pathetic. Too bad that only the fans of the series are going to give this some box office. But I SERIOUSLY doubt this is going to debut higher than....8?

TobalRox
04-26-2002, 03:15 AM
I said it in the other thread about this... I give it 2-3 million, TOPS. I hate to say it though, because it definitely deserves higher... but no big stars, and a shitty trailer with the worst song in recent memory is not gonna get people to go. Also, Uber-Jason was just dumb, and unfortunately it's 90% of the trailer while only 1% of the movie. Oh well. Hey, come on, gotta give credit to the first digitally shot movie :D

Mark Relford
04-26-2002, 07:11 AM
Dude, I'm so there on opening day. Jason's my favorite slasher and it'll be cool to see him on the big screen again. I'm ready for some good old-fashioned carnage, Voorhees style.
The poster for the movie looks old school. Thankfully, they didn't go for the whole cast approach. That shit's played out.

froggydogg69
04-26-2002, 07:57 AM
Go Jason, GO, GO!
I will definitely be making a few trips to the theater to see this, I love the F13 series, and have not seen this yet, I've been saving myself, plus, it will be my first time seeing a F13 on the big screen.

Peter Vincent
04-26-2002, 03:38 PM
Surprisingly my local paper gave Jason X a 'C' grade. (I was expecting them to diss the heck out of it). I'll probably be hitting the theatre sometime this weekend to see it. My local 20 & 24 theatre multiplexes are only dedicating ONE theatre to this film...so it looks like even THEY aren't expecting much of a crowd for Jason. Still, we'll see what happens.

It'd be cool if Jason X tops out Scorpion King for #1 at the Box Office this weekend. I know its not likely, but hopefully....

rhett
04-27-2002, 02:53 AM
Well, I just got back from Jason X and...

I liked it! Although I was initially against the idea of taking the masked maniac in space, Jim Isaac managed to actually make a pretty entertaining movie.

Firstly, the score is back to its roots. Manfredini, after slipping a little bit with the score of JGTH has thankfully turned in a well done score that complements the film nicely. Hodder does a decent job with Jason as well, but I will elaborate on that later.

As far as the death count goes, Jason X proudly holds the crown for most kills in the series, although the gore has been toned down somewhat. There's about an equal mix of off-screen and on-screen kills, and the ones that are on-screen are well done. There are some classic kills here boys, ranking up with the top kills of the series if you ask me.

The film, unlike some Friday entries, is paced rather well. Jason is pretty much in action right from the end of the opening credits to the beginning of the end credits. This benefits by making the movie entertaining, but at the same time it hampers the film by offering NO character development. Okay, I'm a realist, the other Friday films are pretty weak when it comes to developing their characters, but at least they tried. But there is little time to care about the characters on anything of a personal level anyway, because the pace is so quick there is no time to think about them.

The film is very tongue and cheek, but don't worry, that certainly helps the film. After 10 films, the series has to start looking at itself with somewhat of a smirk, because really, we know all the cliches. There are some funny one liners and situational commentary from the cast, and it gives the film a good mix of gore and fun.

A flaw with the film, partially because of its tongue and cheek execution and its quick pace, is that Jason just isn't scary. There is really no time for setting up mood or false scares, because Jason is pretty much on the move the whole film and there is rarely a time when the viewer does not know where he is.

All you T&A lovers be aware too, that there is basically none in the film. Kind of a shame, but oh well. Cleavage lovers on the other hand, you are in for quite a treat. :D

Overall the film is very entertaining, and if I had to compare it with another film, I would relate it to Jason Lives in Space. It's main goal is to have fun and for that it ultimately succeeds.

SPOILER:

My favorite part far and away was the "Camp Crystal Lake simulation scene". A great throwback to the original films, and the double sleeping bag kill had the entire theater roaring in laughter.

froggydogg69
04-27-2002, 07:11 AM
I'm definitely glad I waited to see this until tonite. I thought it was awesome. I too didn't really know how I felt about the idea of Jason-in-space, but I thought it was cool. It was written leaving space between JGTH and this movie for Freddy vs. Jason. Some really cool deaths, and I'm also glad Über Jason was only in it for a few minutes. He's cool and all, but it's cool to see classic Jason for the most part. Todd Farmer and Jim Isaac deserve credit for bringing the big guy back to the screen in style. I know Jim will be chatting in the Fridaythe13thfilms.com chat room sometime sunday.

DefJeff
04-27-2002, 07:42 AM
gotta love some of those kills

jeffschmidt
04-27-2002, 09:46 AM
I LOVED THIS MOVIE! My expectations weren't all that high going in, but I was pleasantly surprised. Jason X was just a 100% fun film that wasn't cheesy or disrespectful to all of the horror geeks out there. I honestly don't have a single complaint about this movie; Uber-Jason didn't even bother me at all - I think he fit into the film quite well, really.

Side note: I saw a trailer for the new Halloween movie at JX. The trailer looked crappy, IMO (although that's what people said about JX, and I liked that). Busta Rhymes & Michael Myers just don't f*cking mix!

Mark Relford
04-27-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by rhett
I would relate it to Jason Lives in Space. It's main goal is to have fun and for that it ultimately succeeds.

That's a good comparison, rhett. Fun is the key word here.
Jason X was enjoyable and a considerable improvement over JGTH. I had a good time and got my money's worth. The best kill was the cryo one. The Camp Crystal Lake 80's revisit almost brought a tear to my eye.;) It would've been sweet to have Betsy Palmer in that scene. Such a missed opportunity.:( The new and improved Jason rocked!:D

Mark Relford
04-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by jeffschmidt
I saw a trailer for the new Halloween movie at JX. The trailer looked crappy, IMO (although that's what people said about JX, and I liked that). Busta Rhymes & Michael Myers just don't f*cking mix!

It looks decent to me. Having JLC and Rick Rosenthal involved seems promising. Hopefully, Busta gets fucked up by Mikey.:D

rhett
04-27-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
It would've been sweet to have Betsy Palmer in that scene. Such a missed opportunity.:(
That would have been awesome Mark! If memory serves me correct though, I think New Line had asked Palmer about having a cameo in JGTH, and she declined saying something along the lines that she didn't want to be a part of the Friday films any longer. :(

rxfiend
04-28-2002, 04:23 AM
actually she was asked to do a cameo for JX (it would been in the VR sequence), but some kind of financial situation came up thus it got written out.

Hellbilly
04-28-2002, 12:05 PM
I just read at some other site that Anchor Bay is going to release JX on DVD? Can somebody confirm this?

rhett
04-28-2002, 05:51 PM
Anchor Bay?! Where did you read this Helly? Given the treatment New Line has given the ANOES films on DVD you'd think they'd want to handle JX and JGTH too...

That is interesting news indeed!

Hellbilly
04-28-2002, 06:45 PM
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=239014

Anchor Bay has send out a packet to subscribers with pics and infos about it.
It's from their JUNE date subscription.
I got these infos from morbid mortuary.

DefJeff
04-28-2002, 07:18 PM
well, at least if AB releases it, we can be sure we wont get one of those crappy cardboard snapper cases ;)

thrashard76
04-29-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
well, at least if AB releases it, we can be sure we wont get one of those crappy cardboard snapper cases ;)

Those things suck! I hate 'em....Companies should do away with these things.:cool:

KillerCannabis
05-01-2002, 09:11 PM
I loved this movie. Everything about it was great. I'll admit that I was a little leery of the idea of putting my most-loved hockey masked man in space, but New Line has done good as far as I'm concerned. The whole opening sequence at the Crystal Lake research facility was great. It even has a cameo by Cronenberg. Classic scenes. And then even once they were on the spaceship it was done right I felt. The killings were some of the most inventive and brutal as I've seen in a Friday the 13th film. And Uber-Jason wasn't as bad as I thought he could have been. The trailer made it look like he was Uber-Jason for practically the whole movie, but such was not the case. He was only that way for about the last 20 min or so. Classic Jason looked as good as ever. And the score, though not as good as previous entries, was still solid and I'm glad that Harry Manfredini was back on board also. I can't wait to pick this up on DVD and I'm going to see it again tonight or tomorrow. If you're a fan of the series, I'd say run to see this movie.

moogong
05-02-2002, 11:32 PM
The new issue of Fangora has an interview with the Jason X director. There is also a picture of Peter Mensah's character Sergeant Brodski sneaking up on Jason. Not Uber Jason but before he got upgraded. I really hope there is a good battle scene between these two and it gets put on the dvd release.

Andrew
05-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Had to ressurect this post :D.

I finally saw it last night at 10:30, and really liked it. It was a genuinely good movie till the kung-fu robot popped up, then it started to get cheesy/shitty. But then.....good GOD, the Crystal Lake sequence was literally the funniest thing I've seen at the movies in atleast a year. When I heard about it, and got into the movie, I was waiting for it. But when it didn't come in the first hour I had figured that I had mixed the opening scene with the VR sequence. But damn was I pleasantly surprised :). Uber Jason is horrible though. The movie is definitely not for the "hardcore fans" of the first three, but those of you that've seen (and liked) most of 'em, you gotta check this out. And I know there are a few more stragglers like myself that haven't seen this yet.....so go do so right now.

On a side note, after the movie me and my friend watched The Final Chapter (which is still my favorite). It has a lot of character development and gruesome deaths, and it's definitely the best of the series. I never knew who Crispin Glover was, but he's the "dead fuck" right?

TobalRox
05-15-2002, 02:39 AM
Yep, that's him... also known as Marty McFly's dad :D

rxfiend
05-15-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by HellbillyDeluxe
I just read at some other site that Anchor Bay is going to release JX on DVD? Can somebody confirm this?

this is a rumor. they only sent out promo packets for the film, but New Line will be releasing it on dvd, not AB. this rumor was put to rest by Michael Felsher of Anchor Bay

Karm
05-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Any idea of a UK release date?