PDA

View Full Version : I just got a DVD player, what are the next three DVD's that I should I get?

Vamp
01-05-2001, 04:42 AM
Hi everyone, for Christmas, I got a DVD player and a few DVD's. What are the top three DVD's that you would recommend for me to get?

Thanks in advance.

-Vamp

hojimoji
01-05-2001, 04:54 AM
Can't go wrong with the Evil Dead Trilogy.

Fight Club and Seven rule.

Hope this helps.

G.

Cujo108
01-05-2001, 04:56 AM
I would recommend:

John Carpenter's The Thing
Any Argento or Fulci DVD

I would list more, but I've got to go.

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 05:04 AM
Welcome to the forum, Vamp.

(1) Night of the Living Dead (Elite)
(2) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Pioneer)
(3) Phantasm (MGM)

Honorable Mention: Blood Feast (SW) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

jeffschmidt
01-05-2001, 05:04 AM
Dusk Till Dawn (Collector's Series)
Pitch Black
House On Haunted Hill

joltaddict
01-05-2001, 05:40 AM
1- Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2- Seven
3- Texas Chainsaw Massacre

...and if you got any cash left over pick up The Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

Chunkblower5000
01-05-2001, 08:02 AM
I'd recommend:

Night of the Living Dead (Elite)
The Evil Dead (Elite)
Phantasm (MGM)

fishhead
01-05-2001, 03:03 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Beyond
Army of Darkness (Anchor Bay Limited Edition - or grab the two single disc non-limited releases)

In the non-horror category, I'd recommend
Fight Club
Brazil (Criterion)
Gladiator

All the disks above are excellent in terms of movie/picture quality/extras.

Also Vamp, you probably don't know it yet, but DVDs are an addiction. You, like the rest of us, will probably go broke this year buying up all the wonderful releases: Bad Taste SE, Wicker Man, Re-animator, Suspiria, Cat in the Brain, House by the Cemetery, and tons more that I can't think of at the moment and will later hate myself for forgetting....

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

rhett
01-05-2001, 10:08 PM
Horror:
The Thing (CE)
Phantasm (SE)
Halloween (LE)

Honorable Mentions:
Hellraiser (Tin)
The Beyond
Friday the 13th Part 3
Tremors (CE)

Non-Horror:
Mallrats (CE)
Termintor 2 (Ultimate)
The Abyss

Honorable Mentions:
Fight Club and/or Se7en
Stand By Me
Austin Powers 2
Taxi Driver
Bowfinger

Paff
01-05-2001, 10:32 PM
Well, I believe I've already posted something like this here or on another board, but above all go out and buy the movies YOU want, not what others think you should have.

A movie collection is a great way of showing off your personal taste. When people see my horror collection, they wonder why there's no Scream movies, no Friday the 13th, and only one each of Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. Or why I have the first two Indiana Jones movies but not the third. My movie collection reflects what I like, and what I don't like.

So you should do the same. People here have recommended great movies of course, but let your taste be the ultimate guide. And be careful not to get suckered in by a lot of extras. Personally, I very rarely go through ALL the extras, sometimes not at all. The movie is above and beyond the most important part. Again, use your own taste. You may find you love all the little extras, you may find you like just some of them.

Get yourself to a good video sales store, and go nuts

AceRimRat
01-06-2001, 12:10 AM
I agree with Paff on this one. If you want DVDs you're guaranteed to watch over and over, buy movies you know you enjoy.

If you're looking for something to show off your system, check out some Web sites (this one for horror, I recommend DVDFile.com, DVDReview.com, TheDigitalBits.com for more mainstream stuff) for something those guys consider "reference quality," like Gladiator or Saving Private Ryan or something like that.

As for a couple of horror recommendations, Halloween, Jaws or the Thing might be good places to start, full of features and good quality discs, and IMHO excellent movies. Se7en is also one of my new favorite DVDs. But again, this is the part that's really up to you.

Happy hunting!

Vamp
01-06-2001, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Paff, I completely agree with you. The thing is, I've only been a horror fan for a few years, and haven't even heard of many movies that people mention a lot. Before I buy any movies at all, I look for a review. The main part of the review I pay attention to is the story. That, along with people's recommendations, helps me choose my movies most of the time. Also, if I've seen the movie before, and really enjoyed it, I'll think about buying it.

Earlier today, I just bought the newest version of the Se7en DVD. I feel that it's a great movie, the features are only a bonus to the great movie.

Thanks for your concern Paff and everyone else, I'm not going to get every DVD mentioned, but there are a few that I'm already looking for. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I'm already looking at Lasers Edge, do you know any other great places for DVD's? I think I'll be pretty much all set there, but better to be safe than sorry. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

-Vamp

Paff
01-06-2001, 01:20 AM
Well then, have you tried Netflix? I don't like them much, but that's because I live in a city with a lot of good DVD rental places. You can rent a lot of movies from them, then decide which ones to buy.

As far as buying online, there's buy.com, 800.com, express.com, whatever. There's millions of them, all pretty much the same.

joltaddict
01-06-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Paff:
buy the movies YOU want, not what others think you should have.

A movie collection is a great way of showing off your personal taste.

I agree with you somewhat but part of the fun of this forum is I know alot of the members of this place have the same taste as me. I have bought a bunch of movies sight-unseen off recommedations from forum members and the reviews on this site.

I love coming home and seeing that big Buy.com box on my doorstep and slapping a movie in that I have never seen before. I only got burned once by doing this (unfortunately it was a CC http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif ) and I think the benefits have far outweighed the one goofy DVD I have on my shelf.

You only live once, take a chance every once and a while and throw $15.00 at a highly reccommended movie.

Oh yeah, Vamp did I remember to recommend Texas Chainsaw? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

mutleyhyde
01-06-2001, 04:35 AM
So JA, was that goofy movie a Criterion Collection? Closed Captioned? Complete Crap? I'm at a loss. Just where did your fellow brethren err?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

joltaddict
01-06-2001, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
So JA, was that goofy movie a Criterion Collection?

Yes, a Criterion so I paid a premium to get a movie I didn't enjoy! It was Kwaidan, good movie, just way too artsy for me. Not a repeat veiwer (for me anyway).

But I have 100 DVDs about 25-30 bought word of mouth, never saw before, you just gotta know if the person raving about it has similar taste to yours.

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)