PDA

View Full Version : Question about The Frighteners regular edition

jscott
05-11-2002, 08:58 PM
It seems that everytime a thread or mention is made about The Frighteners, it always has to do with the OOP Director's Cut. So my question is what are the major differences between the theatrical release and the un-obtainable (at least for me) Director's Cut? Are they so signifigant that the standard version isn't worth picking up? I've seen so many posts about how Universal should release the Director's Cut on DVD, and no posts mentioning that the theatrical version has been on DVD since 98 (which I didn't know untill today). The only reason I'm posting this in the Laserdisc forum is because the standard LD release is usually pretty cheap on Ebay, and I was thinking about picking it up.

John
05-11-2002, 10:50 PM
I was wandering that too. I just can't bring myself to purchase the OOP boxset for such a high dollar amount. With the Lord of The Rings trilogy in the process of coming to theatre and DVD, I would think that The Frightners would get another look on DVD. I mean, they have done a SE of Bad Taste (which was an obvious move to cash in on Peter Jackson's new popularity in mainstream film). Whatever the reason, I think it is just a matter of time before the director's cut goes digital.

Dave
05-12-2002, 02:36 AM
The standard LD has no Dolby Digital 5.1 track; it's Dolby Surround.

If your choices are between the standard LD and the standard DVD, get the DVD. You'll get 5.1 and, I believe, an anamorphic transfer. I'm sure the standard DVD goes for just as cheap on ebay.

The differences between the theatrical cut and the director's "fun" cut (that's what P.J. calls it since the theatrical cut is really his approved cut) are 12 minutes of additional footage. Nothing extensive but they're fun to watch. You can read about it in my <A HREF="reviews/a-m/frighteners-ld/"><B>Frighteners</B>: Signature Collection LD review</A>.

As for whether it'll hit DVD or not, who knows? DVD File reported a year or two back that some issues came up with the supplements. If it ever does come to DVD, there's almost no doubt the 4.5 hour documentary will be cut for the DVD. Still, I'd love to see the director's cut DVD, commentary, dts audio track, and at least a few hours of the documentary.

You'd think if Universal was going to release it they'd have done is already. Or we'd have at least heard something concrete by now.

Paff
05-12-2002, 03:33 AM
You forgot to mention the DTS Laserdisc of The Frighteners, Dave. Or is it you don't want anyone else bidding on them until you get a copy?

Anyway, even though the standard LD is Dolby Surround, it's VERY GOOD surround, and the picture isn't bad either. I'm sure the DVD is a better bet, but the LD doesn't suck.

Wez4555
05-12-2002, 07:31 AM
holy jebus! a 4.5 hour documentary?! wouldnt that get alittle boring? i havent seen this movie in forever....and i liked it to...im going to wait till the best version comes out.

Dave
05-12-2002, 01:09 PM
The documentary is great. I've watched it twice now, though once was for the review. The only thing I'd skip over next time would be the 45 minutes worth of storyboards.

As for the DTS LD, I just assumed jscott didn't have DTS ability. It is mentioned in the review though! :)

Paff
05-13-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Dave
As for the DTS LD, I just assumed jscott didn't have DTS ability

Remember Dave, DTS is a LOT easier on Laserdisc than Dolby Digital. The discs are rarer, that's for sure, but the hardware is much easier to find.

As far as "waiting the best version", that may be a loooooooong wait. It's been pointed out before, but Universal didn't even fully port all the Jaws extras to DVD. If they won't release all the extras for a Spielberg blockbuster, what's the chances of them doing it for a financial flop?

In other words, The Frighteners is a good movie, and you should have SOME kind of disc copy of it in your library, since good ones exist. Why not buy it on DVD or Laser, then sell it if a better version comes down the pike. Don't you at least want to watch the movie?

I guess I just don't understand this "waiting for extras" concept.

jscott
05-13-2002, 07:28 PM

As for the DTS LD, I just assumed jscott didn't have DTS ability. It is mentioned in the review though! :)

I have DTS on my receiver, however my CLD 504 still remains RF Demodulator-less. I really wish my player had a DTS output.

Paff
05-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by jscott

I have DTS on my receiver, however my CLD 504 still remains RF Demodulator-less. I really wish my player had a DTS output.

Are you sure it doesn't??

To clear things up, you only need an RF Demodulator for DOLBY DIGITAL. For DTS, all you need is an optical digital out, which I thought the 504 has. If you have that optical out, just get an optical cable and you're done. Of course, actually FINDING lasers with DTS is the hard part.

Dolby Digital on LD - Rare and expensive hardware, plenty and cheap discs
DTS on LD - Simple hardware, very rare and expensive discs

jscott
05-14-2002, 12:28 AM
No Optical output on the 504, just coaxial AC-3.

jscott
05-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Paff

In other words, The Frighteners is a good movie, and you should have SOME kind of disc copy of it in your library, since good ones exist. Why not buy it on DVD or Laser, then sell it if a better version comes down the pike. Don't you at least want to watch the movie?

I've never watched the film. but I'm going to in a couple of weeks ($7.19 total on Ebay). Money's been too tight to buy a new DVD that I've never seen prior to purchase. Plus I'm getting really sick of the way anamorphic enhanced DVD's look on my standard analog TV set.

Dave
05-14-2002, 08:58 PM
There are mod kits to add DTS, but it's usually easier and cheaper to buy another player. The CLD-59 is a cheap replacement player, though I wouldn't recommend it. I had two of them and had nothing but display problems with each.

jscott
05-14-2002, 09:38 PM
There are mod kits to add DTS, but it's usually easier and cheaper to buy another player. The CLD-59 is a cheap replacement player, though I wouldn't recommend it. I had two of them and had nothing but display problems with each.

I'd consider buying one of those DTS mod kits, but I only have one DTS laserdisc (Jurassic Park), and I never watch it. I have another player with an Optical Digital output, but it's an RCA, and my 504 provides a much nicer picture. Maybe one of these days I'll sweet talk my old man into upgrading his DVL909 and passing down the old one to me. Yeah right. But I can dream.

Paff
05-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Yeah...if I were you, I'd be more concerned with acquiring an RF Demod to get Dolby Digital.

Now, DTS laser is THE shit, but there's just so few discs produced. I own 4, and there's only like 3-4 more I'd even be interested in. I added DTS for DVD more than anything.

But Dolby Digital LDs are everywhere, and cheap. I think I own at least 40-50 of 'em. I'm willing to bet there's a few in your collection already.

Like I mentioned in another thread, you can sometimes get a good deal on a demod by buying an old Dolby Digital Decoder that has the demod built-in. I have a Yamaha DDP-1 and it's great.

Oh, and if you don't want that DTS Jurassic Park, I might know of some people who do. I already have one...

jscott
05-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Paff

Oh, and if you don't want that DTS Jurassic Park, I might know of some people who do. I already have one...

My Jurassic Park LD was a demo disc used at my store, and was given to me for free when I bought my 1st player. The disc is not in very good shape (lots of scratches, partially torn cover), but if your friend wants it, he can have it for whatever it costs for me to ship it. LMK.

And as of right now, I only have three discs that have AC-3. Kids in the Hall Braincandy, Black Sheep, and Carpenter's The Thing. The first two I think I can live without the AC 3, as for The Thing, well, I never watch it. and BTW, yes I'm still trying to get a copy of the original The Thing from Another World, and still getting outbid.

Dave
05-17-2002, 03:33 AM
I agree with Paff in regards to DTS LD being the shit, but I only partially agree in regards to the selection size and how many are worth owning. There were a total of 114 DTS laserdiscs released, one of which - Ransom - was available only on Japanese LD. 114 isn't very many, but many of those will never hit DTS DVD. Some have been released as DTS DVD, perhaps even a few dozen, but usually the DTS DVD isn't full bitrate and doesn't come close to surpassing the DTS LD in terms of audio.

To me DTS LD *IS* worth the extra investment because, as I stated, many will never hit DTS DVD. Lets face it, some studios just aren't very interested in DTS DVD. MGM, New Line, and Paramount aren't very big on DTS DVD. Actually, Paramount has yet to release a single DTS DVD. Whether or not Titanic DTS LD - a Paramount movie - is a must buy for you depends on your opinion of the movie. I, however, bought it simply because it's a great way to show off your system. I'm in the middle of doing an overhaul to my home theater; I just added a Pioneer LD-S9 player (probably the second best player ever produced - only available in Japan) and an expensive 350W subwoofer. Two days ago I used the LD-S9 for the first time. I watched Titanic DTS LD. Not only was the picture quality amazing, but the sound was unfucking believable. While I'm not a huge fan of the movie, it is one of the few laserdiscs I own that my wife will sit down and watch with me.

I've started to pick up more DTS laserdiscs simply because many of them are movies that I can watch with friends and family. You have comedy - Kingpin, The Mask, Austin Powers; adventure - True Lies, Long Kiss Goodnight; family - Flubber, Babe (in widescreen no less, which is more then you can sya for the DVD); romance - Titanic. As for horror titles, there is Halloween H20, Blade, Frighteners, In the Mouth of Madness, Seven, Species and Village of the Damned. Also some good sci-fi titles available. Out of those 114, I'd say at least half are ones I'd want in my collection. And someday I hope to have them in my collection. I'll definitely be picking up more of these DTS lasers on ebay, especially with my LD-S9 that gives video playback very close to DVD.

For studios that do support DTS DVD, I'd probably be hesistant to buy a DTS LD for one of their titles. Something like True Lies DTS LD I'd pass on because of its high price and of the rumors that Fox is working on a 5-star DVD edition, which will hopefully have DTS on it. Something like Seven I'd go with the DVD. Blade, Halloween H20, Species, Frighteners - they probably don't have a chance of DTS DVD. Frighteners maybe, but the others I'd put money on that they aren't ever getting a DTS DVD. Of course, who knows what will happen with HD-DVD...

For a full list of all the DTS laserdiscs released, see <A HREF="http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/dts.htm">http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/dts.htm</A>

For the largest list (not complete) of Dolby Digital laserdiscs released, see <A HREF="http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/DolbyDigital.htm">http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/DolbyDigital.htm</A>. Warning - this is a BIG list. It'll take some time to load.

jscott
05-28-2002, 09:52 PM
FUCK! Today I get in the mail a check for the amount I paid for The Frighteners Laserdisc, and a note claiming that the disc was not in perfect condition before shipment. Bollocks to this, I'm just gonna buy the DVD!