PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Soccer

2D4EVER
05-12-2002, 03:17 PM
If you get one new HK dvd anytime soon GET SHAOLIN SOCCER! It's fuckin hilarious. The special effects are really great (I guess Puma paid A LOT to be in this movie). It's so wacky and funny I could hardly believe it. YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. Anyone see it already? What you think of it? I hear it may be coming to the US theaters and Miramax or some company may be bringing it to the US on DVD. Fuck I'll buy it again if they add new stuff...but in the HK one there is a documentary, deleted scenes and other stuff. And it is not edited. Trust me...get this ASAP.

Later all...

maybrick
05-12-2002, 05:04 PM
I agree! It's easily among the top five films of last year! Definitely recommend getting the import DVD because from what I hear, they're overdubbing the voices and giving it a rap soundtrack for American release. UGH! On top of that they're changing the title to "Kung Fu Soccer" on account that Hollywood assumes we are all stupid and won't figure out what Shaolin means from the previews.

mcchrist
05-12-2002, 11:32 PM
This movie does rock, I like God of Cookery better though. i find it amusing that this thread was moved from Off Topic to Asian Horror, as this movie may be Asian its not Horror now is it? :p

dlundh
05-13-2002, 09:41 AM
Maybe the "blood-soaked goalie sequence" makes it a horror movie?

Terrific film with great spfx and humor.

DVD Connoisseur
05-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mcchrist
This movie does rock, I like God of Cookery better though. i find it amusing that this thread was moved from Off Topic to Asian Horror, as this movie may be Asian its not Horror now is it? :p

Yep, that was me...I felt that by widening this section to "all things Asian" we could include movies like Shaolin Soccer and Story of Ricky.;)

Maupin
05-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Last I heard, the decision to change the name to "Kung Fu Soccer" was reversed. I was pleasantly surprised.

ronweston
09-08-2002, 04:47 AM
This is such an old thread but ... I just got a copy of the DVD yesterday -- hard as hell to find (at least for me), but I finally dug up an online supplier that had it. Just finished watching it and loved it. I've seen quite a few Stephen Chow films and liked all of them. The effects were fine but I really liked the "feel" of the movie and really appreciated the music. I've seen the US trailer on the net with rap music and I really cringe at the thought of the upcoming release.

maybrick
09-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Like I said before, great movie! I was with a little difficulty able to hunt the DVD in S.F.'s Chinatown, but copies have started disappearing off the shelves since the American version was announced months ago. Probably a legal issue behind it. But it appears that if you're into VCDs at all than you may still be in luck as I've seen copies still available in numerous places, well at least I've seen plenty in Boston's Chinatown.

LJMurder
09-08-2002, 05:08 PM
the miramax version of shaolin soccer is horribly butchered. it's got the absolute worst english dubbing and it's also cut by about 25 minutes. it's also being marketed towards kids so i can't imagine the liberties miramax took with the script. God i hate miramax. get the HK release to see this great movie and tell disney and miramx to suck it.

Erg0n
07-24-2003, 05:21 AM
I know its a ressurection of a thread, but Did any of you guys hear about an R1 release from miramax is happening? I know that they butchered this movie but they had to because of USA marketing.

aoiookami
07-24-2003, 06:46 AM
I urge everyone who wants to see this, please, avoid the horrendous Miramax version. There is roughtly 25 minuets cut, some including some of the best scenes in the movie. As well its been heavily censored and horribly dubbed. Instead use the money and buy a R0 of the uncut version. Miramax shouldnt get a freakin penny for what they did to this great film.

X-human
07-25-2003, 02:54 AM
I picked it up only to realize later that it's not subtitled (or dubbed), so I haven't decided if I should watch it or not.

Do I really need it? Of course it's an action film, but are there long scenes of dialog or anything that's heavily carried by dialog?

Atmims
07-25-2003, 03:34 AM
you really needa know what they are saying X-Human. I would say wait and get a subbed or dubbed copy because it just wouldn't be as fun without subs, although it might seems weirder...

LJMurder, that's a good avatar. Alex Kidd is the man!

Luna
07-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by ronweston
I've seen the US trailer on the net with rap music and I really cringe at the thought of the upcoming release. Oh NO. I haven't seen that, thank god. I think I'd cry. I did see this movie at a friend's house a week or two ago and absolutely adored it. I'm not even a sports fan either, but you don't even have to be one because this movie isn't really about that. Well, that's the way I see it anyway! After seeing the movie, I wanted to get a copy of my own. I should say especially after I read the statement on hkflix.com about it, saying that those Disney bastards are going to prosecute anyone in North America who sells the original DVD. What bastards!

Btw... "The Evil Team" = PRICELESS. :lol:

2D4EVER
07-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by X-human
I picked it up only to realize later that it's not subtitled (or dubbed), so I haven't decided if I should watch it or not.

Do I really need it? Of course it's an action film, but are there long scenes of dialog or anything that's heavily carried by dialog?

What version did you get? A shitty vcd? The Universe HK dvd has subs and it's still cheap as hell. Get it!

Jeffrey Dahmer
07-27-2003, 11:20 PM
This movie is just great, I've watched it five times (something I pretty much never do with any movies). Very very funny movie, I couldn't really find a decent copy of it so I downloaded it.

Erg0n
07-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jeffrey Dahmer
This movie is just great, I've watched it five times (something I pretty much never do with any movies). Very very funny movie, I couldn't really find a decent copy of it so I downloaded it.

you can get the R0 one from www.dvdshelf.com it retails for about 3-5$ because it's directly from HK.

Gnaghi
07-28-2003, 01:45 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/shaolin_soccer/

that ET line is completely absurd. i saw the first trailer last night infront of spy kids. looks like a classic.

Luna
07-28-2003, 09:14 PM
That first trailer is horrendous... it uses that annoying Disney guy who they use for ALL the kiddie movie voiceovers. The second trailer is only slightly better (ET, ugh), but I still feel like this is going to suck enormously.

How can they cut 25 minutes out of this movie? I just don't fucking get it. After seeing these trailers I am SOOO fucking glad I bought the HK DVD. I should get it this week in the mail. :D

By the way, when the guy gets all his clothes blown off, um, weren't ALL his clothes blown off? Or am I just remembering wrong? :(

I also rather dislike the "time to kick some grass" thing. Could they have come up with a more sneer-inducing phrase if they tried, or is it just me? Ugh.

aoiookami
07-29-2003, 01:15 AM
yeah, the goalie at the end (in the original) is totally nude, and you see his rear. But Miramax/Disney painted some digital black undies on him:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I dont know exactly what was cut, only one of my personal favorite scenes, a dance sequenece that happens totally randomly, and is really hilarious. I have no idea why they cut it.

Atmims
07-29-2003, 01:27 AM
"GET READY TO KICK SOME GRASS" :eek2:

Luna
07-29-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by aoiookami
yeah, the goalie at the end (in the original) is totally nude, and you see his rear. But Miramax/Disney painted some digital black undies on him:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I dont know exactly what was cut, only one of my personal favorite scenes, a dance sequenece that happens totally randomly, and is really hilarious. I have no idea why they cut it. I thought so, but I had to be sure.

Um, they fucking cut the spontaneous dance scene?? WHY?? ARGH!! That was one of THE funniest scenes! WTF. Oh, I HATE DISNEY. *sigh*

KR~!
07-29-2003, 06:07 AM
Well, I think I will get the Import version, thank you very much:evil:

TobalRox
07-29-2003, 06:37 PM
The Dance scene is an added scene to begin with, so it's not a suprise. It's not part of the "Real" movie.

Erg0n
08-07-2003, 08:08 AM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2003-08-04-05.htm

08.04.2003 - A representative of Miramax has just confirmed that their planned wide release of an edited version of the martial arts comedy Shaolin Soccer has been cancelled. In its place, the company will put into limited release, the original Cantonese language version with subtitles. This decision comes after a test screening of Miramax's dubbed version in Calgary, Canada apparently flopped.

For the newly planned release of Shaolin Soccer, Miramax is expected to edit out only minor footage in order to maintain a PG-13 rating. The release date is now set for September 5th.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

X-human
08-08-2003, 03:03 AM
Oh happy day! I'll have to look for screenings.

mcchrist
08-08-2003, 03:54 AM
Miramax is expected to edit out only minor footage in order to maintain a PG-13 rating.

Eh? I still say fuck that.

X-human
08-08-2003, 07:27 AM

Hrm, I didn't read that. If only more R rated movies made more money, why does Reloaded have to be the exception?

Erg0n
08-08-2003, 07:35 AM

regardless of the minor changes I still miramax did a good thing. In fact I was even surprised that they decided to release the original version even when they butchered it. Considering how american culture is about foreign films and remakes are the most attractive thing for the big giant corporations for them to release this version instead of buying the rights and doing a shitty remake then so be it.

aoiookami
08-09-2003, 01:02 AM
"This decision comes after a test screening of Miramax's dubbed version in Calgary, Canada apparently flopped."

probably because everyone here already bought their uncut, un-dubbed version for 10 bux at china town. screw miramax, I'm glad they failed miserably. even the 'less edited' version is retarded.