PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

DefJeff
05-14-2002, 06:57 AM
yea with all the talk of uncut friday videos and dvds, plus Jason X, sorta renewed my interest in this franchise ... my all time favorite is Friday 3, but i hear most friday fans rave about The Final Chapter so i dug out my VHS of it and watched it tonight.
most people say Jason is the meanest in this one, which i totally agree with and i love it. the kills are great. the whole movie is very dope, easily my 2nd favorite (after part 3 of course).

couple things i didnt like were how it said nothing about what happend to Tommys mother... its sorta hinted at she died, but no one finds any body and no murder shot of her either.

also, whats up with Jasons long black finger nails?? haha

but all in all, im glad i watched this again.... im very tempted to pick up the DVD ... but just incase the uncut shit does come out, i wanna buy as little of these as possible...

rxfiend
05-14-2002, 07:20 AM
also, whats up with Jasons long black finger nails?? haha

know what's really funny is that part 2, 3 & 4 take place within a week and Jason changes, physically, in each film!! LOL

Agent Z
05-14-2002, 10:07 AM
couple things i didnt like were how it said nothing about what happend to Tommys mother... its sorta hinted at she died, but no one finds any body and no murder shot of her either.

Well.....in the theatrical version, Tommy's mother is shown walking outside...then coming onto something or someone and giving a frightened reaction to something off-camera.....the inference being that she is not in a good place.......there was some footage cut from the final print, with the discovery of her corpse in a bathtub...but the official body counts have her demise listed as "causes unknown"...........

DefJeff
05-14-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ

there was some footage cut from the final print, with the discovery of her corpse in a bathtub..............

thats cool, i didnt know that!

Agent Z
05-14-2002, 09:28 PM
Just to follow up on my previous post, a lot of sources list the missing footage as Trish finding her mother "drowned" in a bathtub.....so that is also a possible explanation for her demise. However, doesn't it seem highly unlikely that once she encountered Jason outside her home that Jason would then go through the trouble of dragging her back inside the home......and filling the tub (if it already wasn't filled)...and so on? At any rate, check out the two links below for some other FINAL CHAPTER cuts.

Arrow in the Head's F13TH:TFC review (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/fridaythe13th-4.htm)

Alternate Versions of F13TH:TFC listed at IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0087298)

DefJeff
05-15-2002, 03:02 AM
"Nurse Rhonda was originally held up and gutted, but it ended up being cut out so that it only showed her being stabbed."

ahhh what a shame, she was so annoying.....

now, can u explain the long black finger nails missioncodez ;)

rhett
05-15-2002, 05:18 PM
I love Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter. It may not be high art, but it is a damn fun slasher film to watch. The pacing is great, Jason is at his scariest, the cast is surprisingly competant, the gore is top notch and seeing Crispin Glover dance it up all make this film one of my favorite horror movies. Still can't explain the fingernails though, sorry Jeff. :D

Agent Z
05-15-2002, 09:49 PM
now, can u explain the long black finger nails missioncodez

No mystery there.......try spending your chilhood submerged in lake water.....and your remaining years surviving off the land and living in the woods......THEN see if nail hygiene is at the top of your list...............:D

KillerCannabis
05-15-2002, 11:55 PM
This has to be tied for my favorite F13th flick along with Part 3. I love TFC. All of the death scenes were original and bloody. And I live for Crispin Glover dancing like the "dead fuck" that he is. I'm a huge fan of the series and I love all the movies, except for maybe parts 5 (since it isnt Jason, it feels "cheap") and part 9 (since the fucker isnt really even in it). Jason X was kick ass. But TFC has everything one could want from a F13th flick and then some.

DefJeff
05-16-2002, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ

.......try spending your chilhood submerged in lake water.....and your remaining years surviving off the land and living in the woods......THEN see if nail hygiene is at the top of your list...............:D

good call ;) that response was pretty hilarious

Wez4555
05-16-2002, 06:29 AM
i wonder what he lived off of? bugs or plants? it would be nice to have some insite. but i guess its like that to make you imagine for yourself....

6sick6
05-16-2002, 07:05 AM
My take on the black nails? Jason was going through his "goth" phase. He was a big Cure and Bauhaus fan back then. :cool:

Hey, at least it beats that Drowning Pool shit he is into these days!:rolleyes:

DefJeff
05-16-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Wez4555
i wonder what he lived off of? bugs or plants? it would be nice to have some insite.

like scenes of jason hunting bears and deer... licking moss off of rocks.....

Andrew
05-16-2002, 05:28 PM
And how does he get his hair cut? :rolleyes: There are several things us FRIDAY fans don't question, and this should be one of them :p:D.

THE FINAL CHAPTER definitely is the best one of the series. Very dark, gruesome kills, and some good character development too. Also, I think, the most nudity :).

rhett
05-16-2002, 09:28 PM
I also liked the way they did Jason's face in this one too. All the other films have some scary Jason faces (the hillbilly look in Part 2 and the cleanshaven style in Part 7 are favorites) but I think TFC is most true to Jason's original look in the first film. I guess it is no surprise since Savini did the effects, but still.

The Friday films will never be remembered for continuity, because other than a killer named Jason and a place called Camp Blood, there isn't any. IMO the worst continuity flaw is the way Jason is presented in Part 8 as a child. I mean really, he looked like a little innocent kid from a Nyquil commercial, not the deformed misfit that we all know him best as. :D

RyanPC
09-16-2003, 05:26 AM
I'm watching this right now and is it just me or is Crispin Glover playing a retarded person in this film? :lol:

SaviniFan
09-16-2003, 06:08 AM
Don't forget that Circuit City still has Friday the 13th I through VI for a mere $9.99! So if you don't have part 4 yet you have no excuse.....unless Circuit City isn't in your area. :)

RyanPC
09-16-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by SaviniFan
Don't forget that Circuit City still has Friday the 13th I through VI for a mere $9.99! So if you don't have part 4 yet you have no excuse.....unless Circuit City isn't in your area. :)

SHIT! $9.99??? I got mine for $14.99 at FYE and I thought I was getting a somewhat good deal considering how much they USED to cost. :(

dayglo
09-16-2003, 09:29 AM
For now I'm just hanging tight until Paramount makes this announcement of theirs on the 19th. I admit seeing all the fridays for dirt cheap right now are tempting, but I can wait the few days and see if some SE versions are forthcoming.

SaviniFan
09-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RyanPC
SHIT! $9.99??? I got mine for $14.99 at FYE and I thought I was getting a somewhat good deal considering how much they USED to cost. :(

Nothing is a good deal at FYE. Those are some price gouging mo-fo's! :p

RyanPC
09-16-2003, 01:31 PM
I only plan on rebuying the SEs of the F13 films that I really love: 1, 2, 3, and 5. 4 is pretty good but not good enough to rebuy in my eyes. Same goes for the rest of them, although I only own the first four.

Cantona07
09-16-2003, 09:35 PM
I have the uncut workprint of The Final Chapter and the gore is exactly the same as the R rated versions, so as far as I can tell, the version released on dvd is the uncut vesion in terms of the gore. So in a way you do own the ''uncut gore version''.

The bit where Nurse Rhonda was originally held up and gutted surley should have made it on to the workprint version? Is there any proof of this scene, screenshots maybe?

Grim
09-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by rhett
IMO the worst continuity flaw is the way Jason is presented in Part 8 as a child. I mean really, he looked like a little innocent kid from a Nyquil commercial, not the deformed misfit that we all know him best as. :D

It doesn't end there. At the end of Part 7 his clothing was nearly burned to a crisp, he was wearing mere shreads. Yet he miraculously had a more complete outfit in Part 8. Not to mention he had gloves again, and the chain disappeared. I think it would've been neat if they would've done something like Part 3, have him go through most of the film without a mask on, then maybe get something near the end.

Fart Lighter
09-21-2003, 02:02 PM
...and there's no way the girl from 8 would have been a child when Jason was in the lake either, she'd have not even been born then, given all the year leaps in the series.

Speaking of continuity...He's got 2 eyes in FvsJ, and Springwood seems to have altered a bit. Wheat fields instead of a desert outside the town? Complete change in Police cosutmes? And it's close to Crystal Lake? Which I thought was supposed to be up new York way...

Still, 4 would have been better if there was a lot more judie Aronson nudity!

Wez4555
09-21-2003, 06:04 PM
it they just release the uncut versions in the box set, ill pick up the barebones versions cause im weird like that. i like to have every version possible.

dayglo
09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Speaking of continuity...He's got 2 eyes in FvsJ, and Springwood seems to have altered a bit. Wheat fields instead of a desert outside the town? Complete change in Police cosutmes? And it's close to Crystal Lake? Which I thought was supposed to be up new York way...

Continuity was never the strong point of these movies in any case, but these few quibbles can be easily explained away.

-Jason's two eyes, you could just say he regenerated as you can see his whole body refroming when he returns from hell.

-Nightmare 6 established Springwood as being in Ohio, as for the desert views, those happened during Jesse's nightmares in part 2.

-Police uniforms changing isn't unheard of, it happened where I live. :)

-The distance issue is somewhat sticky. Crystal lake I believe is set in New Jersey (or possibly Connecticut) which is fairly close to Ohio where we find Springwood. I would say they took a whole ton of the tranq to subdue Jason, and booted it to New Jersey which I think would be about 6 hours at excessive speed. If they hit the road to Crystal Lake fairly early in the evening, they could possibly get there before dawn.

TobalRox
09-22-2003, 02:00 AM
If it's CT, my girlfriend and I have visited Crystal Lake a few times before :) No camp that we know of, but definitely woods :)

dayglo
09-22-2003, 03:12 AM
If it's CT, my girlfriend and I have visited Crystal Lake a few times before No camp that we know of, but definitely woods

While I know the fictional camp is based in New Jersey or Connecticut,(most likely Jersey) the actual camp where part one was filmed is in New Jersey. It's called camp Nobebosco or something like that, don't take my spelling of it to be bang on though.

I believe part 2 was filmed in Connecticut though. If you want to know for sure, just check that ebay auction for the part 2 house. I'm too lazy to check myself right now. :p

fattyjoe37
09-08-2007, 12:40 AM
The Final Chapter is my favorite of the series. Great kills, nudity, and action, but it also takes the time to let you get to know the characters and have them all be interesting.

dwatts
10-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Watched this tonight. Can't say this is my favorite, since I don't expect anything will match the power of the first film. On the other hand, it's fun and has some good moments. Lots of nudity didn't hurt it either.

By the way, after holding off on buying these forever, I decided to go with the old single disc releases. I just prefer to have all the discs on my shelf in their own cases rather than a big box. And the prints in the old releases are great too. I'll probably end up paying a little more for these, but for me it's worth it until i one day upgrade to a hi-def version (whenever that hits).

wago70
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE the pre-credits montage and how it picks up right where Part 3 left off.

Bobbywoodhogan
10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
The Final Chapter is the first one I bought on VHS and I love it. Its my joint second favourite with Part VII, Part VI is my favourite. The prologue is amazing to this film, one of my favourite parts of any Friday movies.

The ending is soo good.