PDA

View Full Version : Another reason WHy we wount see a uncut mY BLOODY VALENTINE

ArrowBeach
05-23-2002, 10:53 AM
BECAUSE THE DIRECTOR DOESN'T GIVE A HOOT! I am not kidding, I saw this page on the web, forgot the link, this british guy was getting in details what was cut, and apperently this film has playeduncut in mostly asian markets in 1981, and even Uk got a some what uncut version in 1981. Now IF the director George Milkaha actually wanted to look into restoring the film, it seems like he could have, but on the web site, the guy found the director, and he told them he doesnt care! That's sad.

rhett
05-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Moving to slashers forum...

I remember reading something along those lines too, I can't remember where either. I do remember that the effects and makeup guy was very choked that all his hard work was left on the cutting room floor, though. Trying to get Paramount to listen to us horror fans is a lost cause. They really just don't give a shit, plain and simple, and it is so frustrating. :mad:

KillerCannabis
05-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Yea, fuck Paramount. Is it really that hard to give fans what THEY want? I mean, the people that are going to buy this disc are the horror fans, right? So why not give us the BEST possible version of the film on DVD so that the disc can sell better. Most fans will hold off on getting certain releases because they are cut or dont have ANY goddamn extras. Great example, look at F13th Part 7. I guess that online campaign to get an uncut release failed, since the disc was just announced as bare-bones. I couldnt be any more pissed off right now......

ArrowBeach
05-23-2002, 11:40 PM
But the biggest kcker, based on the report I read is, that HAD the director got involved, then things might have been different. But the director doesn't CARE! Basically if Paramount said "OK, we will release an uncut version IF we get the filmmakers approval" it wouldnt have happened for George Milhaka doesn't give a rats ass about this film!

Maybe we should all get together and write a very friendly and nice letter to the director, saying how much we like his work, and we like to see his work uncut?

gunner
05-23-2002, 11:56 PM
Well, I don't really know if having M.B.V.'s director involved would help either. If you look at Friday pt.7 not only did fans make a petition like mentioned above but the director himself was very interested in having the uncut version released on dvd,and for a while it seemed like it was going to happen. But now it doesn't look like paramount's going to do it. Unless the september release will be uncut and they just don't think the news is important enough to announce.

bruce h
05-24-2002, 08:11 AM
don't expect to see an Uncut DVD from Paramount. And don't believe everything you read. I'm working towards a possible uncut release of the film somewhere in the world, more details when it becomes worth talking about.

Wez4555
05-24-2002, 08:59 PM
2 words...FUCK PARAMOUNT! there a bunch of dumb pricks..and super pussies at that. oh boo whoo we dont relase uncut stuff cause where scared of our image. dont release dvds and sell your rights off to someone that will do good to them...you god damn pussy anal lickers. look at mgm they used to suck ass now there kickin' it. either do your movies justice or dont even bring them out and sell them off in instead. you dont even give a fat shit about the fans, cause if you did you wouldnt put out shit for dvds....you make me sick!

WesReviews
05-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Actually, my friend Justin Kerswell, who runs the Hysteria! website about slasher movies (and actually, he may post here, but i'm not sure) told me a while back that contrary to previous reports, George Mihalka was actually interested in restoring the film and doing a director's cut.

If Justin's here, maybe he can fill us in with more details.

Justin Kerswell
05-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi Wes, Yes, I do post here sometimes (like now!).

Now, the info surrounding George Mihalka's attitude to the film is contradictory at best. I had heard that he wanted nothing to do with it, but, more recently, I've heard from an an acquaintance of his who says that he really did want to see the film released uncut (and approached Paramount with the idea of doing a commentary track), but they were just not interested. Apparently, he was really kicking himself because he didn't have an uncut print (only the R-rated one).

However, I can confirm that the cut footage *does* exist (roughly 8 minutes of it), and is holed up somewhere safe in Canada. I'm hoping to get the go ahead (from those involved) to spill the beans on some of the back story of the efforts over the last 12 months to get this film out uncut (it spreads over two continents!).

As some of you might know I have a page devoted to seeing the film come out uncut (within the larger HYSTERIA! site), and I'm hoping to update that pretty soon:

http://www.south-over.demon.co.uk/Hysteria/campaignindexmbvmain.htm

Justin Kerswell
05-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Just to let you all know that I've had the go ahead from those concerned and can now detail what's been happening with trying to get this classic slasher movie out as it should be: restored to its uncut glory.

The news ain't all good, I'm afraid, but at least I can confirm the existence of the missing footage - and the possibility of a sequel (from the original's producer, John Dunning), in which he plans to insert the cut footage if there's no way round Paramount's block-headed decision to just put out a bare bones R-rated version (as looks increasingly certain).

Click on the link for the full story!

http://www.south-over.demon.co.uk/Hysteria/campaignindexmbvmain.htm

rhett
05-29-2002, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the links Justin, that was very informative, and officially set the record straight for me. I love your site, definitely the best slasher site on the internet, keep up the good work on it! :)

DVD Connoisseur
05-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Excellent update. I just hope that one day, this great slasher pic finally makes it to DVD in its definitive state....:(

Hellbilly
08-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by bruce h
don't expect to see an Uncut DVD from Paramount. And don't believe everything you read. I'm working towards a possible uncut release of the film somewhere in the world, more details when it becomes worth talking about.
Any news about this uncut version yet?

JW77
08-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Fucking stupid on Paramount's part, if you ask me.

Who are they trying to appease?

I mean, if someone is going to purchase "Friday the 13th Part 7," they're probably going to be a hardcore horror fan/collector and WILL want the hardest version available.

And if someone is going to be offended by an uncut version of F13 or MBV, then I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't going to enjoy the R-rated cut, either.

Would it be that fucking hard to try to appease the audience that's ACTUALLY INTERESTED YOUR HORROR MOVIES?

r_burgos2003
08-02-2003, 05:05 PM
Because Paramount believes they know what the public can consume and people are dvd-hungry money bags who'll buy their movies with good audio and video quality at the drop of a hat?

marcx
08-04-2003, 03:34 PM
That link is dead-can someone fill me in?

Justin Kerswell
08-09-2003, 06:18 PM
That link was from the old site, the updated one is:

MY BLOODY VALENTINE: LONGER, GORIER & UNCUT (http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives/Hysteria/campaignindexmbvmain.htm)