PDA

View Full Version : Slashers with Synth musical scores

WesReviews
05-25-2002, 10:31 AM
After watching Fatal Games recently, I was thinking about how effective the use of the synthesizer was to slasher movies of the early 80's. I think slashers with synth scores are much creepier than ones without synth scores (Halloween and Black Christmas, being excluded of course).

There's just something bizarre and unsettling about films like The Burning, Halloween II, Madman, etc. which rely on a heavy synth score. It just lends itself easily to the slasher film. I dont' know why.

Most of the time, when I hear music in a slasher film, it takes me inside the mind of the killer. Maybe this all started with Halloween and to a greater extent Friday the 13th, where the score is meant to represent the mind of the killer somewhat.

When I hear bizarre music in a slasher, it makes the killer that much creepier. That's the only reasoning I can come up with. There need to be more slashers made today with strange synth scores.

What are your thoughts on synth scores?

What are some of your favorite slashers with heavy or light synth scores?

rhett
05-25-2002, 05:04 PM
Synth scores are great, and I couldn't agree with you more Wes. I think in a slasher film the score is one of the biggest factors in setting up the mood and maintaining suspense. Final Exam has a great synth score resembling Halloween II's, and I think Graduation Day is full of synth if mind serves me right. My favorite synthesizer score though, is in Friday the 13th, Part 3, nothing beats that disco theme! :)

DVD Connoisseur
05-26-2002, 01:04 PM
...synth score. Awesome soundtrack - genuinely chilling, nightmarish stuff - truly haunting!

After that, it has to be the Halloween theme. One of the all-time greatest horror soundtracks.....

evileye
05-27-2002, 05:25 AM
I actually liked the score for NIGHT SCHOOL. Wish that would turn up on DVD!

thrashard76
05-27-2002, 07:43 AM
I'd rather hear good synth music (that pays homage to the classic slasher movies) in slasher movie than have a trashy, no count all alternative B-sides / remixed or just plain god awful hit singles that record companies try to compile....most of them are crap!

Jog
05-27-2002, 08:02 AM
I love synth scores. The more minimalist (there's an oxymoron) the better! While not really a slasher, I especially enjoyed the score to Axe, from Something Weird...

STREET TRASH
06-02-2002, 08:08 AM
My favorite slasher w/ the heaviest, most over-dramatic, crazy, whacked-out synth score - UNHINGED. Forget slasher, I think it's the best horror film period to appropriately use synth music to it's best. Certain scenes that would've been nothing, are heightened to manic levels of sheer terror and horror b/c of the damn synth in this move. No kidding.

STREET TRASH
06-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Also, the synthesizer score in DON'T GO IN THE WOODS is pretty damn amazing, too.

wago70
06-07-2002, 05:57 PM
I loved Wakeman's score for The Burning, too. Also, his score for Crimes of Passion has some nice touches as well. Halloween 2's score is one of my all-time favorites - the re-worked them is pretty powerful and, sadly, hasn't been matched since.
One cool score I liked was for The Boogeyman. There's a great sound that happens when Lacey sees the boogeman in the mirror laying on the bed behind her.
Dan Wyman is another person who gave some good electronic scores like for Hell Night and did some work on The Fog (probably for shock sound effects...ie. when the sword shoots through the Sea Grass fisherman's chest).
Maniac sounded good, too.
It was such a time when horror films sounded like that!

Doombear
06-07-2002, 10:05 PM
MANIAC (great synth score)
MOTHER'S DAY (cheesy, but suitable synth score)
DAWN OF THE DEAD (Goblins electronic greatness)

mcchrist
06-08-2002, 04:29 AM
TRUTH OR DARE: A CRITICAL MADNESS

thrashard76
06-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Some of my favorite scores:

Day Of The Dead (not a slasher but...)
The Exorcist
Halloween
The Beyond
Suspiria :D\nn/

KillerCannabis
06-16-2002, 11:52 AM
I love Maniac's score. I also have to agree on Haloween II and F13th part 3. Both EXCELLENT scores. Didnt Fright Night use synth too? If so, then thats one of my favorite not listed yet.

Loced Out Demon
06-21-2002, 08:19 AM
i liked the music in nightmare on elmstreet pt 3, when freddy is chasin that blond gurl cross dreamland ha

spektor
08-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by rhett
My favorite synthesizer score though, is in Friday the 13th, Part 3, nothing beats that disco theme! :)

that shit is nice, anyone have that on MP3?

Fistfuck
08-19-2002, 06:33 AM
Way to revive a dead thread.

rhett
08-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Look around on Morpheus/KaAzA and you should find it spek...