PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen Vs Full Frame for Horror cast a Vote

Max Yokell
05-25-2002, 05:07 PM
Just got wondering what you guys are watching your movies on and how you prefer to see them.

It is the old Widescreen Vs full Frame debate.

So um what is your preference. Anamorphic Widescreen, or 4x3 full frame?

On the one end I put own a widescreen TV figuring if you owned a widescreen TV then you obviously have decided widescreen is best or you would not have spent the money. :)

My Answers.
I have loved widescreen from the first time I saw it. I first figured out something was missing when I saw Planet of the Apes on TV back in the 70s as a kid. I realized the picture in the theater had a lot more.

So I currently am a widescreen owner, a Mits 73907.

So what are you guys watching your movies on?

Max

Wez4555
05-25-2002, 06:34 PM
i want my dvds in there OAR. i hate cropped, pan and scan and matted (inless its enhanced).

rhett
05-25-2002, 07:44 PM
When I first started out with DVD I wasn't all that fond of the black bars. I didn't understand why they were there and why my screen was only half full. After I read a tutorial on the internet though, I was completely convinced and I will NEVER buy a P&S release. I've tried convincing others with this method, but it just doesn't seem to work.

I like widescreen because it looks much more stylish and more like being in a theater. But of course I also like it because that is the way the director intended it to be shown. I just don't understand how so many people support the destroying of art by panning and scanning it. How many people do you think would support the cropping of the Mona Lisa in order for the painting to fit better on the wall? :(

Max Yokell
05-25-2002, 08:54 PM
There is a scene in Planet of the Apes which shows just how P&Sing can ruin artisitc intent. It has the membersof the Ape Council sitting next to each other doing the Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Speak No Evil pose. In the P&S version you can not see the whole picture at once so you could easily miss that the director had set that up.

Max

Beastus
05-25-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by rhett
How many people do you think would support the cropping of the Mona Lisa in order for the painting to fit better on the wall? :(

Ha ha,:D I use the same example when trying to convince others why Pan & Scan is not acceptable. Almost everyone keeps telling me that's not the same.

thrashard76
05-26-2002, 06:48 AM
This pretty much sums it up....

I don't really care about all the "proper" aspects of what the actual movie image should look like. I guess I should but for now as long as I can find the most definitive version of a movie it's all cool to me.;) I prefer widescreen (though at first I didn't, but later got used to it) but if the movie is only in full screen then so be it.:cool:

Wez4555
05-26-2002, 07:16 AM
i explain this shit to everyone and there like "i dont like the black bars". you know whats scary? i hope the new snow dogs dvd isnt a sign of things to come. if you dont know what im talkin about, every dvd of it is pan and scan....too many people bitched about the bars...god damn cock suckers... if you dont like widescreen, stick with your shitty VHS tapes and leave the real dvd nuts alone. if they ruin dvd...im going on a killer spree. whos with me?

thrashard76
05-26-2002, 07:31 AM
I sell DVDs to customers all day and all I hear is "I don't like the smaller screen" or "you can see the full screen easier". I don't try to get into an argument with these people because in the end....it's me who's wrong!

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

bigdaddyhorse
05-26-2002, 06:19 PM
I have a Sony Wega with v-compression, so it's kinda the best of both worlds. The v-com. looks great, but non-anamorphic dvds still look decent, and FF still fills the screen. I love black bars, they remind me I'm seeing the right picture. Plus I don't watch the fucking the bars, just the picture. Turn out the lights and they're not even there!
I try to only buy dvds that in their OAR, whatever that may be. I prefer widescreen in almost all instances, but like those dvds with FF and WS to compare. Sometimes some good shit is covered by mattes, like titties and such. In these cases I don't mind FF. That's mostly for 1.85 ratio, a 2.35 scope movie doesn't need the FF version at all, maybe to laugh at.