PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Dave
06-02-2002, 03:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1540816033 - Ebay auction for Sleepy Hollow LD - one of the last laserdiscs released in the United States. It's currently at $57.69 with 8 days remaining.

I had this LD. I bought it when it was first release just for the hell of it. Cost me less than $30. Sold it on ebay like a month later for around $50. Decent profit.

This has an extremely small pressing - 400. No one expected Pioneer to actually press it, but they did. Copies disappeared quick.

So I ask, why? Why would someone pay so much for this? Hey, I love laserdisc more than anyone. But if it's out on DVD for $20 with extras and a DD5.1 track, why would someone pay so much for a barebones LD with Dolby 2.0? FYI, it has Dolby 2.0 because Pioneer got cheap towards the end and wouldn't put 5.1 tracks on Paramount lasers. Bastards.

I myself just bought U-571 Japanese LD off ebay for $30. But at least that LD has DD5.1 sound.

Oh well, rant over. Sorry for the long thread. :)

Max Yokell
06-02-2002, 06:07 AM
Obviously along time ago a mother droped her child on his head and he grew up to be an LD fan and somebody forgot to tell him that laser is dead or at least in the throws of death.

I always loved LDs too but one I got into DVD I pretty much stopped buying lasers unless it was just not going to on DVD for the forseeable future.

Maybe the guy thinks he got a collectors item? Maybe he can't afford a DVD player because he stupidly spend all his money on E-Bay buying LDs?

Max

bigdaddyhorse
06-02-2002, 08:53 AM
It has to be the collectors item mentality driving prices up on that.
Until I read this post I assumed it had most if not all of the dvd content, but for bones this is ludicris!

Paff
06-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dave

So I ask, why? Why would someone pay so much for this? Hey, I love laserdisc more than anyone. But if it's out on DVD for $20 with extras and a DD5.1 track, why would someone pay so much for a barebones LD with Dolby 2.0? FYI, it has Dolby 2.0 because Pioneer got cheap towards the end and wouldn't put 5.1 tracks on Paramount lasers. Bastards.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Dolby 2.0 was never (as far as I know) used for Laserdisc.

Non Dolby 5.1 LDs had a Dolby Pro Logic track. This is NOT the same thing as 2.0 (a DVD sound format). There are many people who prefer LD Dolby Pro-Logic to any version of 5.1. You don't get split surrounds with DPL, but you do get a warmer sound than DD or DTS.

So what you might have here is someone who wants a good Pro-Logic version of Sleepy Hollow.

Or more likely, it's just someone who's real dumb. I don't understand this sometimes, with E-Bay and out-of-print items. Since they just put the special edition of Fight Club DVD out of print, there's already discussion of how high the E-Bay prices will go. But there's already MILLIONS of copies in existence! How rare can it REALLY be?? After all, by that logic, ALL laserdiscs should go for major bucks on E-Bay, since they're ALL out of print, no?? Perhaps the major problem is that E-bay has become the biggest outlet of used items. There are tons of used CD and DVD sellers that have these "rare out-of-print" items for normal prices. People are treating E-bay as if it's a real barometer of the worth of used items.

bigdaddyhorse
06-03-2002, 01:08 AM
Ebay is the extreme high end of how much people are willing to pay, which is how much something is worth.
I admit I also fill my auctions will buzzwords like out of print and hard to find cuz I know it will get me more money. I used to get sucked in by those, but have learned to do my homework before trying to buy something there.
If others can't take the time to do a search for a dvd online and will just bid ridiculous money on ebay, me and thousands like me will be there to give them what they want!

On the original topic, my old stereo and my new one both have Pro-Logic options, which I use for all my 2.0 dvds and all my lasers. I can't tell any difference between LD and dvd sound if set to Pro Logic. Is it that noticable on a better system?

Paff
06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by bigdaddyhorse
I can't tell any difference between LD and dvd sound if set to Pro Logic.

Hmmm...that doesn't sound right. Laserdisc Pro-Logic is still outstanding sound, that even rivals 5.1 on DVD. If you ever go to Home Theater Forum, there's been a lot of people buying LD players to watch the original Star Wars trilogy, and several have been astounded at the quality of the Pro-Logic sound.

I'm not sure why you don't hear any difference (Pro-Logic on LD should BLOW AWAY a 2.0 DVD track). I do my decoding a little differently, so I don't know how you're doing the settings. But play with it a bit, there should be a real difference. Unless you're comparing LD Pro-Logic with DVD 5.1, in which case the quality will be around the same.