PDA

View Full Version : The Final Terror

rhett
06-02-2002, 09:53 PM
What did you guys think of this? I thought it was decent, but somewhat of a missed opportunity. The killer was pretty cool, and it was good to see ultra-hottie Darryl Hannah before she hit it big, but there were still some problems. First off, Hannah has maybe 5 words in the entire film, which makes her presence ultimately useless. Secondly, the editing is poorly done, as many scenes come across as lost and confusing. Other than a few shots of a dead coyote there is no real gore in the film, which is another missed opportunity. The VHS I saw was also extremely dark the last half hour. It was good, but not nearly in the same league as other camp slashers like Friday the 13th, The Burning, Madman, etc.

gunner
06-02-2002, 11:12 PM
I used to watch The Final Terror all the time. I'm not going to say it's great or anything but I do still enjoy watching it once in awhile. Did you notice the director had an obvious fascination with restaurant sized cans of cling peaches?
Some of my favorite parts are when they discover the hags dilapitated shack,pretty creepy. Also I liked the trap scene at the end and the whole forest setting. You can tell the movie's set is truly deep into the forest, not just a few steps like alot of back woods slashers. So,like in The Burning there is a genuine feel of seclusion.
The old Vestron tape does have an overly dark transfer which gets even worse twords the end of the film.
Anchor Bay used to have this on their "in the future" list. But unfortunately it mysteriously vanished. Too bad too, I'd love to see what the scenery would look like cleaned up & with proper contrast/colors.
You know,a few parts of this film (the shack scene especially)remind me alot of another 80's guilty pleasure...Don't Go In The Woods.

Mark Relford
06-03-2002, 12:58 AM
rhett, you forgot about Rachel Ward!:D I bet she's real proud of Night School & The Final Terror. It's a shame that AB didn't release this decent slasher.:(

rhett
06-03-2002, 02:37 AM
Rachel Ward was a sight for sore eyes in that movie.

But seriously, the entire cast is wasted in the movie! There is hardly any dialogue from any of the actors. Davis was much more interested in atmosphere it seems, but at least the film succeeds in that respect. The shots of the woods were very well done, and really setup the story.

That gore shot with the tin can lids was notable too!

gunner
06-03-2002, 04:12 AM
Yeah, tin can lids...from restaurant sized cans of cling peaches maybe?

Rock
06-03-2002, 08:58 PM
I've seen better and I've certainly seen worse...but that title just plain sucks! Can't help but feel that the movie would've done better under its original title: THE CAMP SITE MASSACRE (even if it wasn't much of a massacre).

rhett
06-03-2002, 09:26 PM
yeah, that definitely would have been a better title.

swamptours
06-04-2002, 04:13 AM
This is a movie a remember watching as a kid of about twelve or so. It was about the scariest thing I had ever seen. I haven't seen it in years but I would love to see it again even though I'm sure it won't have the same impact on me as it did years ago.

Hellbilly
06-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Hmmmm. Haven't seen that one in a while. It wasn't really a fave of mine but a fun time waster. I remember renting/watching "The Final Terror" and "The Prey" the same night.

Good times.

Mark Relford
05-30-2003, 05:00 AM
I want a Final Terror DVD, dammit!:D I wonder who owns the rights...

rhett
05-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Isn't it still in flux with Anchor Bay? Someone should have asked them at the chat...

Justin Kerswell
05-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, if Bill Lustig's recent interview is another to go by it looks like AB are going down the shitter! I hope Bill gets the rights to PROM NIGHT and puts out a better transfer (or a SE!), otherwise it might vanish for good. :-[

onebyone
06-01-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by gunner
Did you notice the director had an obvious fascination with restaurant sized cans of cling peaches?

:lol: Who wouldn't notice that? You really nailed the director's number one kink right there. I guess it takes all kinds.

I like this movie pretty well, but of course, cheesy not good slashers are my area of expertise so I would. I too was sad when this dropped from AB's upcoming list.

speanroc
04-03-2004, 07:48 PM
just won the the japanese prerecord of this on e-bay for 8 bucks , never seen it , like onebyone ,cheesy no good slashers are also my cup of tea

indiephantom
04-13-2004, 07:02 AM
Wasn't this directed by Andrew Davis of The Fugitive fame? I enjoyed it back in the day...would certainly buy the DVD.

Tuzotonic
06-09-2004, 01:41 AM
I remember seeing this as a kid back when USA showed horror movies all the time (remember those days?) Anyway I remember not being too impressed with this movie but now that I'm older I want to give it another chance. Even if it is dumb and boring the fact that Rachel Ward and Daryl Hannah are in it will probably be enough to keep me entertained.

rxfiend
08-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

For those wanting to see this film on the big screen, the drive-in in Georgetown, IN (just north of Louisville, KY) will be playing it this upcoming Sunday night.
http://www.georgetowndrivein.com/

I've never seen it myself, but I think I'll have to drive out there as it's always a joy seeing 80s slashers on the big screen! :D

Katatonia
08-27-2008, 01:52 AM
I'd love to see it on the big screen, but that's a far drive. If it would only get a good DVD release, I'd be most happy! :eek2:

Devo1313
08-27-2008, 02:26 AM
The Final Terror is already on DVD. I have it by itself and also on one of those EastWest DVds for $1 so there at 2 different DVD releases.

Katatonia
08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
The Final Terror is already on DVD. I have it by itself and also on one of those EastWest DVds for $1 so there at 2 different DVD releases.

Yeah, I know it's on DVD. I have the old DVD from Trinity...and the transfer is worse than a VHS tape. I hope it gets a worthy DVD release.

Mattapooh
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the current DVD blows. I'd love to see a nice transfer.

Mutilated Prey
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Cool! I wish I could go see it at the drive-in! Yeah, the DVD transfer currently blows chunks.

CUBANmix
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
i liked it,very atmospheric,i got the old vestron tape thats dark as hell..the couple that got murdered while they were fucking was a very intense scene,as well as the sequence when everyone is locked in the bus at night and the killer is outside.i wouldve liked some more killings,but the scenes with the killer blending in to the scenery was just pure genius..

HAEMORRHAGE
08-27-2008, 08:16 PM
For a second I was thinking why would anyone want this on the bigscreen and then I realized that I was thinking of Final Exam, haha. I've actually got the Trinity version of Final Terror. Sure would be fun to see that on the big screen.

Fistfuck
08-27-2008, 11:25 PM
This is a rare breed of slasher that actually has a tangible feeling of dread and despair. This is helped along by solid acting and unorthodox slasher plotting. Even though it comes late in the cycle, I believe it takes itself seriously by looking at the genre standards and saying "this can be something more." It's a shame this film doesn't get more recognition and respect.

gore
08-28-2008, 01:10 AM
They dont make them like this anymore. One of my favorites. Makes a good double feature night with Just before dawn. Is there even a chance at a solid release of this?

Hellbilly
08-28-2008, 05:39 AM
For those interested, there is a double feature DVD that is or just came out in Germany (CVM) including The Final Terror and Funeral Home (1980). Video is fullscreen and audio includes English track.

http://www.schnittberichte.com/www/SBs/1489691/cov4.jpghttp://www.schnittberichte.com/www/SBs/1489691/cov2.jpghttp://www.schnittberichte.com/www/SBs/1489691/cov3.jpg

Not much info about the image quality of The Final Terror though, but I doubt it will be pristine ...

rhett
08-28-2008, 06:44 AM
For a second I was thinking why would anyone want this on the bigscreen and then I realized that I was thinking of Final Exam, haha.
I know you don't mean that, and so does Wildman.

CodeRedDVd
08-28-2008, 06:51 AM

rhett
08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
So that begs the question, Bill...why don't you guys release this? :D

Mattapooh
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Uh oh, I just missed what CodeRedDVD put up and then edited out. I'd love to see Code Red put out this, The Prey and Humongous if at all possible.

Mutilated Prey
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Uh oh, I just missed what CodeRedDVD put up and then edited out. I'd love to see Code Red put out this, The Prey and Humongous if at all possible.

He's keeping something under his hat Guy. Must've felt like he spoke too soon. Whatcha got Bill? Let's see it! Give it up!

:lol:

HAEMORRHAGE
08-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I know you don't mean that, and so does Wildman.

Hey now, don't you or Bill get me wrong, I'm still buying Final Exam when it comes out. Just was saying about if it were back on the bigscreen, that's all.

rxfiend
09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Just got back from watching this at the drive-in. I must say, I was a bit let down with the film. I expected a little bit more. It got really slow in the middle of the film. It was worth watching once, but I won't be buying the DVD anytime. As for the actual print, it was in great shape (except reel changes, but that's to be expected)!!

Mutilated Prey
09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Just got back from watching this at the drive-in. I must say, I was a bit let down with the film. I expected a little bit more. It got really slow in the middle of the film. It was worth watching once, but I won't be buying the DVD anytime. As for the actual print, it was in great shape (except reel changes, but that's to be expected)!!

Sorry you didn't like it, but I'm still jealous! So cool to go to drive-in in 2008 and see that flick. You're indeed lucky.

CrazyFatEthel
01-05-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm sorry but this movie was hella better than Madman, that movie had one of the worst scripts ever!!!And the lead chick looked like a fish, kinda looked like that chick from Mean Girls, the blonde stupid one...