PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the R-Rated Audition DVD?

Suicide
06-05-2002, 04:14 AM
We got Audition in at my store, it's the R-Rated version running two minutes shorter than the Unrated one, I think it's 113 vs. 115. My question is, Is this one of those things where it's R-Rated like the Convent where they only cut like 10 seconds of gore, or R-Rated with the whole 2 minutes being of gore and violence removed? Does anyone know? The reason I ask is, once this one goes on sale at my store, the Ventura one with all the extras, I can get it for like $8 or less depending if we have a sale or not, as opposed to the $20 it would cost me otherwise. I know I should get the Unrated one no matter what, but I'm spending way too much money as it is, and that $12 difference actually matters to me a good deal.

6sick6
06-05-2002, 06:54 AM
There is a thread over at dvdmaniacs.net about the cuts on the blockbuster version of Audition. They sound pretty damaging to the film from what I read. After seeing this on Sundance last week, there is NO way I would settle for R-rated. The ending must be seen.

KillerCannabis
06-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Is the version just released on DVD the uncut version? If not, where can I get it? I'm on an Asian horror binge right now. Must......satisfy....craving......

Cujo108
06-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I posted that thread over at DVDManiacs under my real name, and the cuts sound pretty damn bad. I never go for cut versions, especially on AUDITION, because its all about the impact of the ending. But if you want it cut, by all means, buy the cut version.

Suicide
06-05-2002, 08:28 PM
Well I've seen the cut one, I rented back when we got it in. From what I saw the movie is still very gruesome. They don't show where the needles are going, or the foot during the piano wire scene, but apart from that it was still pretty disturbing. A few parts actually scared the hell out of me. Of course I haven't seen the uncut one so I don't know how much more it was to it though.
Yeah I'm all for the uncut ones myself, and try to avoid the cut ones, but this one was at least pretty seamless in the cuts. There weren't many parts where it felt like it jumped around, like on the R-Rated Sleepless. I watched about 20 minutes of that before I stopped it, you couldn' tell what the shit was happening. At least with Audition I still knew what was going on.
Thanks for your help though guys, I went over to the DVDmaniacs thread. I think I'll wait for the unrated one, unless something happens to me money wise.

You can buy the uncut one over at Deepdiscountdvd.com (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com) for $17.99 shipped if I recall correctly.

Wermode
06-09-2002, 06:33 PM
I received my copy from deepdiscountdvd last Friday (6/7).

Visually, it's a good transfer (if not great). My only regret is that I knew what was coming in the second half of the film. A viewer coming into it totally blind would get knocked out by the shift in the genre from romance to horror. Still, Audition is a nice film, the main event at today's "Asian Horror Day" at my house. ;-)

I have yet to check out the extras, but there is over an hour's worth of interviews and trailers. Cool... and for $18.00.

Joel Groce
06-10-2002, 03:10 AM
I will have to either find an uncut copy somewhere or I may just end up getting "Sundance"

I saw "Visitor Q" a couple weeks ago and I highly recommend it to all fans of the above.