PDA

View Full Version : Question on several classics on R2 French DVD

IronWolfe
06-06-2002, 04:31 AM
Wondering if anyone has picked up any of the following DVDs (listed at dvdshoppingcenter) and if so can you clue me in on quality. Debating pickin' 'em up but the shipping from France costs more than the DVD...still.

The list:
Cat People (Tourneur's)
Leopard Man
Curse of the Cat People (Wise)
Body Snatcher (Wise)
The Thing (Hawkes)

I'm debating grabbing a couple anyway, specifically Body Snatcher and Leopard Man, but as they don't really have info on 'em on the site, I'm leary of buying sight-unseen in this case.

Alternately, if you're aware of a site I can find the stats for 'em on, that'd be a big help too.

Thanks

Behemoth
06-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Cat People review (in French): http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?1056

Body Snatcher review (in French):http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?1035

Couldn't find any review for the other DVDs, but it seems that these two are both fullscreen with digital mono sound, and include clips from other films in the same DVD series ("la collection fantastique"). Body Snatcher got 7/10 for both video and audio quality; Cat People got 5/10 for both audio and video quality.

Also check this: http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php?1402

How this helps at least a little.

IronWolfe
06-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Those are, indeed, big helps, Behemoth. Thanks much

Yowie
06-09-2002, 06:15 PM
I'd love to have all the Val Lewton classics on DVD, I read somewhere they no longer belong to Image but Warner own them now. Warner are VERY lazy when it comes to their vast horror catalog, so I'm afraid it's in the stars when we'll see 'em. A good idea would be to release them with two movies on one disc, since they all have such short running times and most of them would pair well anyway. (-Like the upcoming MGM double features.) The French "Body Snatcher" disc gets a pretty good review, so that one might be worth it.

IronWolfe
06-09-2002, 10:57 PM
I've really got nothing but contempt for Warner Brothers' DVD arm right now. They're the last bastion of the 'flipper' boxes, the whole fiasco of their threat to release a 30th anniversary Willy Wonka only in full-frame format and their foot-dragging on their horror releases, including King Kong (rumored to be maybe coming in 2003). There excuse appears to be that they feel the market for the classic horror is limited and the disks likely won't sell much. But they also refuse to license the films to a company that cares like Anchor Bay, Image or Criterion, likely because they can't stand the idea of another company proving them wrong.

What drives me a little nuts with them is they've proven they can put out quality disks when they want to--the Blade Runner Director's Cut comes to mind, and the rumored Blade Runner 3-disk (maybe) SE is welcome--which just increases my irritation with them on stuff like Kong, the Lewton films, Hawks' The Thing, Wise's early stuff and the other early Paramount horrors (which I might be mistaken about but which I think they hold the release rights to). Pardon my venting.

Yowie
06-10-2002, 03:10 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what their upcoming releases of "Wolfen", "The Swarm", and "Time After Time" look like. All are 2.35:1 widescreen with commentaries.

IronWolfe
06-10-2002, 06:02 PM
That really gets to the point of my mini-rant. I'm really looking forward to the Wolfen and Time After Time releases. Both great flicks IMO, and obviously they're putting together a good, solid package for both--at least they're taking the time to get commentaries done. I suppose the difference is they're in color, not black and white. As I said, they're capable of putting together a solid disk when they want to (if they'd just get rid of those friggin' flipper boxes), which is what drives me nuts.

I'm really hoping the King Kong rumors are true, as I suspect they'll pull out all stops for it. (Maybe even give us the storyboards for the spider sequence--I don't think there are pics or film of it available, could be wrong)

Yowie
06-12-2002, 07:09 AM
I've only seen drawings of the infamous spider pit sequence in an anniversary documentary, and it sure would be ultra cool if the actual snippets could still be found somewhere but apparently they're lost forever :(.