PDA

View Full Version : Best horror DVD purchase to date is?????

KillerCannabis
11-19-2000, 03:58 AM
What would everyone have to say is the best horror DVD that they have bought since aquiring their player? I'd have to say mine is either Evil Dead II(Limited Edition tin) or Hellraiser (Limited Edition tin). Anchor Bay sure knows how to please me. Can't wait for that Re-Animator tin next year. Whats everyone else's favorite???

suspiria
11-19-2000, 11:53 PM
That would have to be the Hellraiser tin since it also happens to be my favourite horror movie. I also love the Phantasm DVD recently put out.

Can't wait for AB's re-release of Dawn and Day of the Dead. These movies deserve special treatment ASAP!

------------------
My DVD List (http://www.dvd.net.au/my_list.cgi?redowl)

Vdlman
11-20-2000, 12:28 AM
For me, it's Universal's collector's edition of John Carpenter's The Thing. It's my favorite Carpenter film and the disc is loaded with great extras.

Scorpio
11-23-2000, 04:57 AM
Night of the Living Dead by Elite.

SantaSangre
11-23-2000, 04:00 PM
Deep Red - It's the best transfer I have ever seen.
Carey

Jasondog
11-23-2000, 04:07 PM
Halloween (LE)

ilsa
11-23-2000, 09:47 PM
It's a toss between The Beyond tin
and Dragons Street Trash. The Beyond
boasts a ton of extras, a great
transfer and the damn tin is one
of the most beautiful in my collection.

Street Trash has a so-so transfer
but the film is just so sleazy and
brain damaged thats it's nice to
know that i can toss it in the dvd
player as a antidote after watching
poo like The Perfect Storm and Gossip
with friends.

Vdlman
11-23-2000, 10:17 PM
Speaking of Street Trash, Synapse is going to be putting out a special edition DVD of it in 2nd quarter 2001. It'll have a new anamorphic transfer of the original uncut version. The extras will include a commentary by writer-producer Roy Frumkes (maker of Document of the Dead) and actor James Lorinz (who was also in Frankenhooker). I'm sure it will be fun listening to those guys talk! Director Jim Muro's original 10-minute short student film will also be included as a supplement. More details on this are still to come. Don May says this is officially being announced in 2001. I can't wait to see the penis flying through the air in anamorphic widescreen!

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 11-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 11-23-2000).]

Mark Relford
11-24-2000, 12:51 AM
Great picks, guys! I'll have to go with Blood Feast, Maniac, and Criterion's Blood For Dracula. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

Jason25
11-24-2000, 05:32 AM
Tough call - either The Beyond Tin or Let Sleeping Corpses Lie Tin

martinb
11-24-2000, 09:26 AM
Evil Dead Special Edition by Elite.
My favourite horror film and a great dvd.

ragheb
11-24-2000, 04:11 PM
Army of Darkness (LE)

DopeChamberX
11-24-2000, 07:09 PM
Halloween: Limited Edition

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

Styx
11-24-2000, 09:36 PM
I've purchased so many DVDs it's hard to distinguish one purchase from the next but there are three instances that stand out in my mind:

1. When I first got my DVD player I went to Suncoast shortly after and picked up Elite's Night of the Living Dead SE, Pioneer's Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE and Anchor Bay's Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead all in one night. Needless to say I went home with a strange glow http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

2. After an agonizing wait and multiple delays I remember coming home one day to find Elite's Evil Dead SE waiting for me. It was really one of the most anticipated DVD releases for me and most importantly it lived up to the hype.

3. The last was when I found Re-Animator after it had gone out of print and was impossible to find. I entered a curious looking store, which sold LPs CDs, and in the rear they also had a selection of DVDs. I bought the disc for $23.99 as it was just beginning to sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay.

------------------
Styx
www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."
-Raoul Duke Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

ragheb
11-24-2000, 10:09 PM
3. The last was when I found Re-Animator after it had gone out of print and was impossible to find. I entered a curious looking store, which sold LPs CDs, and in the rear they also had a selection of DVDs. I bought the disc for $23.99 as it was just beginning to sell for ridiculous prices on Ebay.

I've got that beat - I got my copy when I walked into Borders Books & Music. The store had just expanded their DVD section and I saw the disc on the shelf for $25. I couldn't believe it. I grabbed the thing and held it close, wondering if I hallucinating, before I ran to the checkout and paid for it.

Tne reason why I was so shocked though, is because this didn't happen back when the disc first went oop - it happened last Tuesday. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

joltaddict
11-25-2000, 04:18 AM
The Pioneer Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My favorite movie done well. For some reason most of my favs get the short end of the stick when it comes to DVD presentation (Reservoir Dogs, for example).

------------------
Further Proof of my Obsesive-Compusive Disorder (http://www.crosswinds.net/~joltaddict/dvdcatalog.htm)

betterdan
11-25-2000, 04:31 AM
I love the TCM dvd also but I will have to go with Deep Red I guess as the best. I would have picked the beyond tin with it's crystal clear picture but I think they overbrightened the transfer or something...

AceRimRat
11-25-2000, 07:55 PM
I'm going with a double-bill: Universal's CEs of "The Thing" and "Tremors."

They're not my favorite discs, though I love them both. They're not the best discs I own, though they're both terrific.

I'm picking them as my "best" purchase because they're the discs I got when I first got my player that really showed me all the great things DVDs could do - audio commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, isolated score, Easter eggs, etc. I was hooked!

Of course, given the amount I spend on DVDs, maybe it was the "worst" purchase! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

nimereht
11-28-2000, 09:51 PM
DEEP RED!

Vick07Hokie
11-29-2000, 01:24 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street Boxed Set!!!!!

Vick07Hokie
11-29-2000, 01:28 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street Boxed Set!!!!!

indiephantom
12-01-2000, 03:34 AM
INFERNO
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
HALLOWEEN:LE

Goblin Vince
12-03-2000, 06:20 AM
LOts of great DVDs out now. I'd have to go with Slaughterhouse(I wish all DVDs had this many extras),Re-Animator(I got mine from Ken Cranes for $20 just months ago),Let Sleeping Corpses Lie Tin Box,Phenomena(extra heaven) and The Beyond Tin Box. I think if they are going to release them,just load them with extras and most fans will be thankful.

JBENE
12-08-2000, 07:17 PM
My top 5 are

THE THING
THE BEYOND
THE EXORCIST
ELM ST BOX SET
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN SE

------------------
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.And I'm all out of bubblegum
-THEY LIVE

DVD Connoisseur
12-11-2000, 08:32 PM
After thinking long and hard about this nomination, I would say that my favourite is "Deep Red." That transfer was something else, wasn't it?

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-19-2000, 04:49 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre SE
Evil Dead SE (commentary is unreal!)
Night of the Living Dead 1990 (Savini)
NOTLD elite SE
City of Lost Children (love it) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Lindane
12-21-2000, 10:06 AM
I dont know if I have any one favourite, but Id have to say Im most proud of my Criterion Coll. Salo, Re-Animator, and Nekromantik.

ZugZug
12-22-2000, 02:50 PM
The best horror DVD that I have purchased so far I bought yesterday. It is the new se7en double DVD set.

jae
12-22-2000, 11:54 PM
I don't know if I have a BEST purchase but a few good ones are:

Criterion's Carnival of Souls - I hadn't seen it before I bought it and wasn't going to based on a couple of so so reviews.. I got a good price on it and ended up liking it alot.

Nosferatu the Vampyre - Somewhat obscure movie that I absolutely loved and was giddy when I got my copy on DVD.

Mario Bava box set - Hadn't seen any of these movies before but ended up loving them all. Worth everything I paid for it.

Jon
12-23-2000, 08:34 PM
Ooohh...

Criterion's Carnival of Souls - to get such an obscure movie looking and sounding this good and with hours of extras? Yum.

The Thing, The Exorcist, Alien, Aliens (just having the widescreen director's cut makes me go shivery!), Piranha, Re-Animator, Psycho...it just goes on and on.

Ever notice how horror movies always have the best special editions? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif