PDA

View Full Version : Japanese films I've ordered on DVD

Behemoth
06-13-2002, 11:59 AM
I just ordered "Uzumaki", "St. John's Wort" and "Ka´ro" (aka "Pulse") on region 3 DVD from www.dddhouse.com - the total was 120 Hong Kong dollars + shipping (70 Hong Kong dollars to Norway). I think this is about US$15.50 + shipping!! All 3 films are in widescreen and with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

Anyone care to comment on any of these 3 films or the quality of the DVDs? Have I made a bargain, or have I wasted my money?

Maupin
06-13-2002, 04:30 PM
I haven't seen St. John's Wort but the other two are good films, for different reasons.

Kairo is the best in my opinion. It's got some great spooky scenes. I didn't think the film as a whole was fantastic, but some of the bits really work.

dvdasia62
06-13-2002, 05:14 PM
I liked all three actually. "Kairo" was very spooky with a couple of really neat scare scenes and limited but effective use of CGI. I thought it was really atmospheric. "Uzumaki" is taken from a manga and is really bizarre and surreal. "St. Johns Wort" is quite effective if a bit kinetic. People either love it or hate it. The price you paid for all three DVD's is quite the bargain! :)

KillerCannabis
06-16-2002, 08:51 PM
Fangoria had a good article on Uzumaki in their last issue. Is this available on a R1 release or a region-free? I want to order an uncut version of Battle Royale, but I dont have a multi-region player yet. But once I do, thats opens up a world of new discs for me.

keith70
06-16-2002, 09:01 PM
The region 1 version of Uzumaki should be out in September according to Fangoria. Although it might be labled Spiral. The same company is also releasing Takashi Miike(Audition)'s Dead or Alive at the end of the year or early next year. Both films are getting limited runs in the U.S.