PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Vampire?

Ash
01-19-2001, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know when this movie will receive a wide release?

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

landrvr
01-20-2001, 02:08 AM
jan 19th: sees a more extensive release.
jan 26th: it goes worldwide.

mutleyhyde
01-27-2001, 08:00 AM
Boy, did that suck. Nice sets, nice wardrobe, and nice props (oh, and nice boobies in one scene). However... A barely interesting script, weak story, and even weaker character development left me bored beyond belief. Niether Dafoe nor Malkovichs' performances could overcome these inadequacies. Not that they were bad, they just didn't have much to work with. Good cinematography could have saved this movie at least in the looks department, as it certainly had a lot going for it there, but even that was uninspired. Being a fan, I was hoping for so much more from a Nicholas Cage production, but I feel unclean after watching this, and feel a need to watch Nosferatu in some attempt to put the film back in it's proper perspective.

Fortunately, after the show, I got the ticket boy to let me back in to see the preview for Lord of the Rings that played before Thirteen Days. Great trailer for LOTR, if a little subtle. I can't wait for X-Mas. After the previews, I said "what the hell, it may be Costner, but I'm here". So I stuck around for Thirteen Days. Now that was a good show, much to my suprise.

So did anybody think any better of Shadow?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

fishhead
01-27-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
So did anybody think any better of Shadow?

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It did seem though as if a lot had been cut near the end. But overall I thought it was a lot of fun - not really horror but more of a comedy.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Oedipus-Rex
01-28-2001, 02:43 AM
Saw this on a first date at Union Square in New York and found it mediocre at best.

After a credit sequence that must have took up at least 15% of the film's running time, the film started out slow and then down-shifted from there. Performances were fair but lacked depth, and the script was about as horrific and interesting as the broadway version of "The Gin Game". Characters appear and disappear so quickly it was hard to work up any sympathy for what happens to them. (Eddie Izzard, who played the leading man, Gustav, slowly begins to realize who Schreck really is, then BAM, he inexplicably disappears in the middle of the movie.) And finally putting real-life facts and real-live people in a major fantasy setting may have worked for "JFK" or "Nixon", but they sure don't work here.

"Shadow of the Vampire" simply had no bite!

ashe001
01-28-2001, 07:30 AM
I agree, I really wanted to like this film but halfway through I started yawning. Dafoe was great but the rest of the acting was blah. The story lacked direction and basically fell apart at the end. The original Nosferatu deserves much much better.

jae
01-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by fishhead:
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It did seem though as if a lot had been cut near the end. But overall I thought it was a lot of fun - not really horror but more of a comedy.

Its been said that up to an hour has been cut because audiences couldn't sit through a movie that long. I've also heard that the cuts would have made the movie make alot more sense. I haven't seen it yet.. Probably next week.

DopeChamberX
01-28-2001, 09:06 PM
I saw this just last night, and a lot of thoughts I have on this have already been stated by other members. I really felt, though, that Willem Dafoe was excellent, and I wished he had tons more screen time. All of the scenes outside of his dragged. It seemed like it took too long to get from one of scenes to his next. A lot of potential, but it just wasn't relized well enough.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

My Collection (http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Rasmith)

[This message has been edited by DopeChamberX (edited 01-28-2001).]

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-29-2001, 01:56 AM
This film could have been superb if it hadn't been cut to bits. The movie was gorgeous, the shots were unbelievable, but the cuts were so obvious that it was sad. This is 1 that could have been...maybe the DVD will be longer & better?

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

mutleyhyde
01-29-2001, 05:00 AM
Yeah, let's hope for a better version on dvd. But I'd hate to see a trend of holding back material in theatrical releases just to ensure a successful dvd/video release. We're already seeing that a little now, although no examples come readilly to mind (okay, maybe Road Trip,lol!). I know the trend probably has less to do with any coniving after-market merchandising strategy than with production/studio differences, but it's just the that the end effect it has on the consumer is that we get rooked somewhere along the way.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Jason25
01-29-2001, 05:38 AM
I quite enjoyed this film. Certainly not the best ever but better than what I've read in here. Sure it is obvious it suffered from being significantly cut in spots, it still held my interest from start to finish. I think DaFoe was excellent, an award winning performance if you ask me. Malkovich was his usual, which is superb.

Oh well, just my opinion anyways.