PDA

View Full Version : Black Christmas: SE

rhett
06-15-2002, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, this news has been circling the internet for a couple weeks now. I don't know how legit it is, but it sounds like this will be a great disc, on par with the quality of the film!
Here is the latest news on that Black Christmas special edition DVD that is in the works from distributor Critical Mass. The disc, currently scheduled for a mid-October release, is set to include an audio commentary with actor John Saxon, the alternate opening scene ("Silent Night Evil Night"), a full interview with Saxon, English & French theatrical trailers, 10/30/60 second TV Spots, lobby cards and international posters. Features that the company is hoping to include are: an audio commentary with director Bob Clark and actors Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder, the original audio for the character of "Billy" (a 1/4 inch track is believed to have been found), and a 5.1 audio upgrade. Stay tuned for further details as they emerge.
Let's just hope this is true, and if it is, that we get some participation from Clark and Hussey!

Cujo108
06-15-2002, 07:55 PM
OH HELL YEAH!!! BLACK CHRISTMAS is one of my top 3 favorite films of all time, and if this is true, I will be one happy son of a bitch! This must happen! This must happen! This must happen!!!!

KillerCannabis
06-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Sounds good to me. I havent seen this movie in a while, but I know I loved it when I did. Any idea when this is coming out?

jeffschmidt
06-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Damn, I wish I had seen this thread sooner! I just bought the currently available "25th Anniversary" edition last night!

Oh well :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of BC, maybe someone can help me out a little. I just watched this for the first time last night. I thought it was good, but the ending frustrates me a little bit. Does anyone have any good theories on who the killer was? Or is the total mystery of his identity the whole point? Drawing only from what was presented in the film, I have no idea who it could be.

I don't mind films that are open to interpretation, but in the case of BC I think some people equate vagueness with punch, and it left me a little underwhelmed :(

Hellbilly
06-16-2002, 06:51 PM
Those rumors (?) sound good actually.
No word if its gonna be widescreen (16:9)?

rhett
06-16-2002, 07:34 PM
The beauty of Black Christmas is that the killers identity is never hinted at or even revealed. He is simply just a psychopath looking to kill. Like I said in my review, because his identity is never revealed, he can be a manifestation of your worst interpretations and fears. Not revealing his looks or his background makes the film all the more creepy in my opinion. Come on, Jeff, the movie is a classic! :)

jeffschmidt
06-16-2002, 11:09 PM
I certainly liked the film & am glad to have it in my collection (although disappointed that a better version may be here soon - but hey, that's an everyday thing with DVDs anymore)

The killer was definitely a fearsome character; the phone calls were very well-acted & plenty disturbing. The movie is great overall, especially when considered as a genre groundbreaker. The vagueness disappoints me, but I guess I would have to say that I would prefer being clueless over, say, revealing the pianist boyfriend as the killer (too nice & neat).

I think maybe after I let it sink in & watch it a couple more times (like I said, last night was my 1st viewing) I may become more satisfied with the ending. I definitely dig that the killer was never caught (for some reason, I love it when the bad guys get away) but I just wanna know more about him. I guess that speaks to BC's credit that I'm still thinking about it after the credits have rolled :)

EPKJ
06-21-2002, 03:30 PM
Could you give a URL for the source of this information? I would like to be able to check that site for updates. I had not seen this news on the sites which I frequent, so, this would be a great addition to my list.

Rock
06-21-2002, 04:45 PM
If you listen closely to his raving phone calls, you can figure out quite a bit about "Billy", quite possibly the scariest movie slasher ever! Imagine how much better SCREAM woulda been if "Billy" had been making those phone calls...

rhett
06-21-2002, 08:10 PM
I got my information from the Davis DVD (http://www.davisdvd.com) News page. It is a great site, and usually has updates before most of the major sites.