PDA

View Full Version : Paramount hints at "Friday the 13th" uncut on DVD

Reverenddave
06-19-2002, 03:25 PM
I just got the latest issue of Video Store Magazine, which is a trade publication for video retailers. This week's issue has an article on Halloween-themed VHS and DVD products. There's a quote from Paramount's VP of Publicity, Martin Blythe:

"With the 'Friday The 13th' series now at volumes seven and eight, we are getting near the end of the MPAA-rated versions. Once we finish the series, we're going to take a look at repackaging options down the road, because as we all know, horror fans love uncut versions."

Max Yokell
06-19-2002, 04:36 PM
So I see after force feeding them MPAA r versions of the movies with Mono soundtracks we will then hit them up for another round of spending when we release uncut versions with remaster soundtracks in DD 5.1.

Sounds to me like the plan was to fucking milk it for all it was worth.

Max

rhett
06-19-2002, 05:17 PM
WesReviews pointed out to me how April Fools Day is getting a 5.1 track, but MBV and the two Friday's are not. Given all the petitioning for My Bloody Valentine uncut, and of course for the Friday's uncut, it just seems all too clear that Paramount is going to double dip with the Friday's and MBV come September 2003. It will be great to finally see some SEs, but Paramount should have stated this was their intention right from the get go, rather than duping fans. :(

Yowie
06-19-2002, 06:07 PM
As if Paramount titles weren't expensive enough. It only shows the true nature of their bareboned beastly business.

rxfiend
06-19-2002, 06:34 PM
what really pisses me off about Paramount is the price of their bare bones discs. it's not so bad now, but they used to retail for $30!!! i think they are now down to $20, but hell, i can purchase much better dvds cheaper than that (especially MGM dvds!).

DefJeff
06-19-2002, 07:19 PM
i hope when they finally start releasing the uncut versions, they dont release only 2 a year :(

id hate to have to wait like 4 years to get all the ones i want uncut......

Peter Vincent
06-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Paramount did this with their Star Trek series (1st the regular cuts, than the super-duper Special Editions), it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they went ahead & did this!

As of right now, I'm kinda glad I only bought the 1st one!

rhett
06-19-2002, 09:14 PM
I am glad I bought all the original discs, because I have watched them all numerous amounts of times, but I still feel cheated. Even if they told us that they would be doing this cheap double dipping plan, I still would have bought them and felt fine about it. Just the fact that they beat around the bush and keep everything hush hush for 4 years, only to start opening their mouths when they discover their well of horror titles is empty is what gets to me.

DVD Connoisseur
06-19-2002, 09:28 PM
.....be the norm in the industry. Take for example the forthcoming barebones Columbia Tristar (spit) Blackhawk Down DVD. It's going to be followed shortly in no time by a 2 disc S.E.! Here in the UK, we receive the 2 disc version but have to wait several months.

How many BHD fans are going to pay twice as they don't realise what's 'round the corner? It's a poor state of affairs and I feel that some studios still have a lot to learn. It's the smaller "indie" companies like Barrel and Synapse which keep delivering the goods despite limited budgets.

Thankfully, some studios (MGM, bless them) have now made a complete U turn and are now releasing fully-loaded versions of their movies....

This Friday the 13th business is a tad mean but, heck, I may actually now purchase the titles. As I've said before, I'd purchase the dream "Complete Uncut Box Set" in a heartbeat!

Connoisseur's rule no. 370 - There's always something better waiting in the wings.

satan x
06-19-2002, 09:34 PM
I held off buying the F13 DVD's because I always felt there was going to be better versions at some stage. It's a shame companies are getting away with ripping off people in this fashion as multiple copies of the same film have now become common practice. Vote with your money it's the only way to stop it.

DefJeff
06-19-2002, 09:37 PM
well ive only bought 2 friday dvds so far (part 3 and 6) -- ive really wanted Part 4 for awhile now and i was gonna buy Part 8 when it came out. but now i think ill pass.

lets hope when these uncut versoins come out, they have the original cover art!!!!!!! and not the crappy ones they have been cranking out since part 5

WesReviews
06-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Take for example the forthcoming barebones Columbia Tristar (spit) Blackhawk Down DVD. It's going to be followed shortly in no time by a 2 disc S.E.!
The only difference is, that Columbia has already announced that a SE of Black Hawk Down will be offered in the future. Paramount's always kept us at bay, wondering what their plans would be. You have to admire Columbia for at least warning us ahead of time (though I wish they'd warned me on Memento).

But I really am happy at the news of the re-releases. It was only common sense after hearing that April Fool's Day would be the only 5.1 audio title of the 4 movies. I mean, of the 4, why April Fool's Day? Maybe because there's nothing to improve on with April Fool's Day and that the remaining 3 titles are planning to be re-released later on. That was my theory once I heard the disc specs for the titles, and now I'm glad that it's been somewhat confirmed.

Wez4555
06-20-2002, 08:09 PM
im glad i sucked it up and held off on buying anyone of them. i do feel bad tho for the fans that are getting shafted...its a damn shame...

mcchrist
06-20-2002, 09:42 PM
I'm not too concerned. I'm not big on special editions and the like anymore, unless its goddamn groundbreaking in my book (Criterion Brazil comes to mind). Content is what counts, and I love the Superbit philosophy. Barebones F13 is fine as long as the content is in good shape. No need to wait for the special editions, and the uncut version of the original Friday really isn't that much of a revelation anyway.

Shannafey
06-20-2002, 11:21 PM
The bad thing about all this, is we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we hold off buying discs until a special edition comes out, then they might think there's not a big demand for the film, and not re-release it as a special edition. We are damned anyway you look at it, since most of us, as dvd and movie fans, want the best available version of a film. It was cool that Columbia announced that there'd be a special edition of Blackhawk Down, but they recently screwed us by putting out the 2 disc set of Starship Troopers, after putting out a good special edition of the film. The same was done with The 6th Sense and Momento. Thankfully I never picked up the first version of the two. I for one, will just wait as long as possible for a GOOD special edition of a film. I am more than happy with my first Starship Troopers and Re-Animator. I am more than willing to wait for the Friday the 13th films and the Star Trek films from Paramount. I had a feeling they'd do that, so I waited, and it will pay off.

EPKJ
06-21-2002, 04:36 PM
Well, I have not purchased any of the Friday films, so, I am very happy with this news. I look forward to the special editions.

Dunwich
06-22-2002, 12:58 AM
I haven't buy any of the friday movies yet too and will buy them all if Paramount release them uncut :))

Andrew
06-22-2002, 01:07 AM
I too, have only bought the first, but I don't think you all should get your hopes up. I think Paramount could just be dangling the proverbial steak.

Beastus
06-22-2002, 03:08 AM
I don't believe this before I see it. Paramount has hinted on special editions for many years.

Mr. Blythe also said they were going to use the original covert art for pt. 7 & 8, since so many of the fans hated the new artwork and fonts on the pt. 5 & 6. Blythe only says what he think people would like to hear, regardless if it's true or not.

Paramount has overall good A/V on their DVD's, but they rarely remaster the sound. Glad to see April Fool's Day getting a 5.1 track. Hopfully that's a sign that we might see them put a little more effort into their DVD's

Max Yokell
06-22-2002, 05:38 AM
Why is that ever since DefJeff changed his avatar I feel like I want Howard the Duck on DVD?

Just to make that statement fit into this thread....

I wanted the Unrated cut with Howard making sweet sweet love to Lea Thompson. :D

Max

DefJeff
06-22-2002, 08:01 AM
heheh, howard the duck needs to come to dvd!! this is one of my guilty pleasures-- i know how alota people hate the movie, but i think its classic.

Hellbilly
06-23-2002, 12:22 AM
I loved that "Howard The Duck" song. Very catchy. :D

AceRimRat
06-24-2002, 05:19 AM
I don't mind buying some of the F13s since I do watch them quite a bit.

And Columbia did, as someone pointed out, make it clear they were doing a bare-bones first and an SE later. I wonder if it's some kind of test for rental markets - you know, Ballbuster gets the bare-bones discs for renters and real fans buy the SEs a few months down the line? Wonder if that'll become a trend, rather than rental pricing - an R-rated bare-bones for the masses, then an uncut SE for the fans.

I wouldn't mind if that's the way it went, as long as they ANNOUNCED the freakin' things that way. Some movies I can't wait to own, others (like BHD, which I enjoyed) I'd wait for the good version.

My cent-and-a-half.

KillerCannabis
06-27-2002, 05:01 AM
I hate that double-dip shit. But I'm such a HUGE fan of the F13th series that I'd buy a SE box set in a second. But still, fuck you Paramount. You suck.