PDA

View Full Version : "Prom Night"

Loced Out Demon
06-22-2002, 02:08 AM
I've been considering buying this movie, but I havent heard much on it.. is this movie any good? maybe just worth a rental?

thanks

Andrew
06-22-2002, 03:34 AM
I'm one of a few people who really didn't like it. I love '80's slashers, but this one just blew - in my opinion :). I think you'll get more positive responses than negative though, so you may want to check it out.

John
06-22-2002, 03:49 AM
I think that Prom Night is essential viewing for 80's slashers. It has Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis and a great dance sequence :p
There is really no question who the killer is, but it is still fun to watch. You should probably rent it before buying since not everyone is a fan of Prom Night.

Loced Out Demon
06-22-2002, 04:28 AM
thanx ya i might just rent it

Max Yokell
06-22-2002, 04:34 AM
I did not know this was on DVD yet?

What is the quality of the DVD and is it widescreen or full frame.

I am going to have to find it now.

Max

Egg_Shen
06-22-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
I'm one of a few people who really didn't like it.

Really?. I seldom hear a positive remark made about ‘Prom Night’ other than the performance given by “scream queen” Curtis. Personally I found the film to be very dull.

Max, I think it was released on DVD a long while back by Image, but is now OOP. However, there's a very good chance I'm wrong.

Andrew
06-22-2002, 05:09 AM
Nah, most people call it a "forgotten gem of the 80's" or some shit like that :).

betterdan
06-22-2002, 10:48 AM
It was put out by Anchor Bay but is now oop. I liked it even though the dvd quality wasn't very good but I'm glad i got it for free through Columbia House dvd club anyways.

Yowie
06-22-2002, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's that terrible a movie actually, certainly not a horror revelation but not the worst of its kind either. I think it has some good chase scenes in it, and it's got Leslie Nielsen, what more do you want ? ;). By the way, I never got the old AB disc, is it an uncut version ?.

Hellbilly
06-22-2002, 06:17 PM
AB released the original R-Rated version.
But there are two scenes missing from that cut: TV CUT (http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0081383)

Yowie
06-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanx, Hell. I wish AB could get their hands on those bits.

AceRimRat
06-24-2002, 04:15 AM
I was never that impressed either. JLC is good, but it's a real cheesefest.

And the dance sequence. Man, white people got no rhythm.

I'd rent before buying, but since I haven't been on the forum in a long while, you've probably already done one or the other.

rhett
06-24-2002, 08:06 AM
I love Prom Night. As Ace said, the cheese is stacked on high, but that is what makes the film fun. It is in my opinion one of the best early 80's slashers to come out at the time. The concept of a bunch of friends making a pact to hide a murder, although now seeming cliche, was original at the time, and to this day is still entertaining.

Jamie Lee Curtis is at the top of her game, producing her trademark naive and caring personality perfectly for the story. She has such an innocent, down to earth warmthness that few actors can replicate.

Made during the disco craze, this film is one of the few slashers to include the mad disco dancing of the era, and today serves as an important piece of pop culture for 80's buffs. The whole dance scene is quite well done, with flashy lights and brisk editing throughout.

Not a classic, but definitely a film to see if you are a slasher/80's buff. I just saw it on the boob tube the other day (since it is Canadian made it is played on our movie channels almost weekly) and I like it as much now as I did when I first saw it as a kid.

That A/V transfer on the DVD is the pits though. Lets hope we can convince AB to re-release it by asking them at our Sunday chat!

Joel Groce
06-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Yeah, "Prom Night" is no "Prowler" or "Maniac", but it has it's moments definitely. I like the way the killer taunts his victims on the phone and it definitely harks back to Argento and other giallo pics here as well as on some of the kills...not in the same league, but I see the influence.

Funny thing, I just saw the turd that is "New Year's Evil" on Mystery and couldn't believe what a horrible job was done when the killer made those calls with that crappy voice processor. For one, we see the killer who looks like some soap star the whole time and it just destroys any feeling of suspense a viewer might have had. Throw in heaping helpings of a horrible metal soundtrack and shitty dialogue and you have a recipe for this horrendous eighties crapfest. As many already know, one can do a lot worse than "Prom Night".

Justin Kerswell
06-24-2002, 09:54 AM
I picked up the now OOP DVD for peanuts last year, I heard they were selling it off cheap because a SE was in the works. It'd certainly be worthwhile mentioning the TV scenes in the AB chat (if it hasn't already happened!) as maybe they don't know about them? An improved picture wouldn't go amiss either.

Agent Z
06-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Made during the disco craze, this film is one of the few slashers to include the mad disco dancing of the era, and today serves as an important piece of pop culture for 80's buffs. The whole dance scene is quite well done, with flashy lights and brisk editing throughout

Since WHEN was disco a part of the 80's? :D

rhett
06-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by MISSIONCODEZ
Since WHEN was disco a part of the 80's? :D
Well, the disco craze technically lasted from 1977-1980, and Prom Night was made in late 1979 but not released until mid 1980, so it is definitely a part of 1980's pop culture.

rhett
06-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Justin Kerswell
I picked up the now OOP DVD for peanuts last year, I heard they were selling it off cheap because a SE was in the works. It'd certainly be worthwhile mentioning the TV scenes in the AB chat (if it hasn't already happened!) as maybe they don't know about them? An improved picture wouldn't go amiss either.
Justin, that is what I thought too...

I emailed AB shortly after the price drop, and they told me an SE was planned, and dvdfile even made an annoucement about it. But a few weeks later when there was an AB chat over at the Home Theater Forum, they completely denied even considering a re-release. Even a month or so later when I asked them at the Horrordvds.com chat, they still said no SE was planned. :(

I'd love to see this film remastered (all the prints I've seen have always been so dark) with a soundtrack CD and some extras included. Let's hope AB has some good news for us this time around.

Agent Z
06-24-2002, 10:30 PM
Doh! I knew that year 1980 was going to come back on me......maybe I should stop the crusade and give in to the soul funk energy that illuminates me......................hmmmmmmmmm...

http://www.artsincrafts.com/rc/images/disco-ball.jpg

Hellbilly
06-24-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rhett

Well, the disco craze technically lasted from 1977-1980, and Prom Night was made in late 1979 but not released until mid 1980, so it is definitely a part of 1980's pop culture.
Disco was officially dead in the spring of 1979, that's when "Disco-Queen" Donna Summer ("Love To Love You Baby") said goodbye to Disco and released a pop-rock-funk-dance double album.
Yep, saw that on MTV. :D

rhett
06-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Well, like the baby boomer generation, there is no real set date as to when disco bit the dust, but you are right Helly, the transition was definitely emphasized by Summer's album.

Disco rules though, no doubt about it. :)

Hellbilly
06-25-2002, 12:13 AM
Disco rules though, no doubt about it. :)
Paramount is releasing SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER this fall on DVD. *drool*
:)

rhett
06-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah Helly, between all those 80's slashers, SNF and Staying Alive, Paramount is making me one happy camper this fall! :)

Loced Out Demon
07-19-2002, 08:53 AM
I finally got around to watching Prom Night on a vhs rental, i think its a decent movie but nothing 2 great. I thought it had a cool storyline, decent acting= jamie lee curtis wasnt as good as she was in halloween. some decent killing=not too gore filled, the ending was real kool and cought me by suprise which is always kool. overall this movie is worth watching, but id recommend renting it first to see if its really for you.

i give this movie a 2.5 outta 5

another movie with jamie lee thats worth checkin out is "the fog"

rhett
07-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Check the main site in the next couple days for a little surprise. :)

Loced Out Demon
07-19-2002, 06:38 PM
ok rhett wannabe horror vet... lol jk mane u do good reviews and give good feedback in threads here. keep it up

Fistfuck
07-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Holy shit! It's Justin Kerswell. Ladies and gentlemen, for those who are unenlightened, this is Justin, the owner of the very excellent Hysteria! website. I suggest you check it out.

What's up man? This is Joshua Clarke, we were going to write that double review on something but we never decided on a film I think. Long time no talk, how ya been?

Anyway, Prom Night is one of those rare instances that the sequels are better than the original. The second is a lot of fun, the third is hilarious, and I believe that the fourth is the best of the series. While it does't have the humor of the 2nd and 3rd, it's a very taut and well planned slasher.

WesReviews
07-20-2002, 10:54 PM
I'd pick up a SE of Prom Night. I have it on VHS and the picture quality is TERRIBLE. I've heard the early DVD of it doesn't have all that great of picture, so I hope whoever owns the rights to Prom Night will release a great SE soon.

KillerCannabis
07-28-2002, 09:43 PM
My friend just got a copy of this the other day and he said it wasn't nearly as good as he remembered it. I'll have to give his disc a spin to judge for myself, but he says the killing took too long to get going and when it did, the scenes were lame.

Loced Out Demon
07-29-2002, 05:51 AM
killer u should rent prom night b4 buying...

Curt Duncan
08-03-2002, 11:40 AM
I bought the dvd for 10.99 Canadian (7.00 US).
It isn't a ground breaking slasher, but it is a keeper in my collection.
Buy a copy for cheap, because there might be ones around that might be 30.00 Canadian. It is just not worth it for that price, so look around.

rhett
08-04-2002, 12:50 AM
I paid 30 Canadian for it, and in my mind it was worth it. I had been holding out on it for so long because I thought AB was prepping an SE, but when they told me they weren't I ran out and about it.

Curt, where in Alberta do you live if you don't mind me asking? I fluctuate between Fort McMurray (in the summer) and Calgary (during University). Also, where did you find that DVD for so cheap?

rcheney
08-09-2002, 05:52 AM
WHAT I ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT PROM NIGHT IS THAT ALL OF MOVIE SEEMS TO BE SHOT IN SOFT FOCUS.CANT WAIT UNTIL THE SPECIAL EDITION COMES OUT.I REALLY LOVED THIS MOVIE,DESPITE ALL OF ITS CHEESE APPEAL.ALSO THEY REALLY NEED TO RELEASE TERROR TRAIN ON DVD.

rhett
01-27-2003, 07:49 AM
"Prom night.........everything it allllllright!"

:banana: :banana: :banana:

EPKJ
01-27-2003, 01:53 PM

We count from 1 to 10, not from 0 - 9. Thus, 1980 is the last year of the seventies, which properly consists of the years 1971 - 1980. This is why the actual millennium did not occur until 1 January 2001, despite the morons in the media telling everyone otherwise. The twentieth century was 1901 - 2000, not 1900 - 1999. Remember that there was no year zero.

EPKJ
01-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Prom Night is essential viewing for slasher fans, as is any Jamie Lee Curtis film of that era.

rhett
01-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by EPKJ
We count from 1 to 10, not from 0 - 9. Thus, 1980 is the last year of the seventies.
That may be true, but how many people do you know that will say "oh yeah, the year 2000 is part of the 90's." I think the general consensus is that decades go from 1970-1979 not 71-80. I've read countless books referring to 1970 as part of the 70's and not otherwise. In fact, there are several books solely about the 70's that begin with 1970 as the first year, and this is done by scholars.

Regardless though, I think years like 1980 are borderline years that could be taken as either part of the seventies or part of the eighties.

Prom Night is awesome, it is just so much fun. JLC is definitely at her best in it.

"For a guy who moves so fast on the disco floor, you sure are slow!"

EPKJ
01-28-2003, 12:38 AM
That may be true, but how many people do you know that will say "oh yeah, the year 2000 is part of the 90's." I think the general consensus is that decades go from 1970-1979 not 71-80. I've read countless books referring to 1970 as part of the 70's and not otherwise. In fact, there are several books solely about the 70's that begin with 1970 as the first year, and this is done by scholars.

Regardless though, I think years like 1980 are borderline years that could be taken as either part of the seventies or part of the eighties.

Prom Night is awesome, it is just so much fun. JLC is definitely at her best in it.

"For a guy who moves so fast on the disco floor, you sure are slow!"

Idiots base their knowledge on "general consensus". Rational men base their knowledge on facts. I am a rational man. All the books you read are wrong. A decade is ten years. The first decade, as there was no year zero, had to be the years 1 to 10. We simply go from there. I have no patience with stupidity. This is not a debatable issue. There is only one correct way to calculate decades. Remember, at one time most people believed the earth was flat. Did that make them correct? Would you have gone along with their view because of "general consensus"? I note that you acknowledge that I am correct, and then defend stupidity on the basis of "general consensus". That is dishonest. Be a man and choose sides. Either acknowledge that I am correct and change the way you define decades, or maintain that I am wrong and defend your assertion.

rhett
01-28-2003, 12:55 AM
I'll be a man and ask, who really gives a shit?

EPKJ
01-28-2003, 12:59 AM
I'll be a man and ask, who really gives a shit?

Obviously you care, else you would be an idiot for arguing the point. That is also not debatable. Your actions do have consequences. In this case, they prove that you care about the issue. Do you have any other stupid questions?

betterdan
01-28-2003, 01:44 AM
I have a stupid question...
Again, who gives a shit?:lol:

Back to the Prom Night discussion

EPKJ
01-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by betterdan
I have a stupid question...
Again, who gives a shit?:lol:

Back to the Prom Night discussion

Well, why not post a comment about Prom Night instead of your "stupid question"? You must not really want to discuss Prom Night, or you would be doing so instead of entering into a fight which you claim not to care about.

rhett
01-28-2003, 02:58 AM
EPKJ, lighten up man! ;)

On a different note, does anyone know who know owns the rights to Prom Night? I know AB lost the rights last year, so perhaps Blue Underground has it now? I sure hope someone gives this film a decent rerelease, it deserves it!

WesReviews
01-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Well, Blue Underground is releasing a SE of Daughters of Darkness this year. Like Prom Night, it used to be an Anchor Bay title but went out of print when they lost the rights.

So, it's very likely that Blue Underground has picked up Prom Night as well. And considering that Blue Underground releases films of similar sub-genre in waves of two or three at the same time, it makes me wonder what other slashers Blue Underground could release if and when they release a Prom Night SE.

A side note....
By the way, I wonder when someone is going to make an announcement about Just Before Dawn? I remember the Anchor Bay rep saying in a chat that he didn't think it would be un-available for much longer. I took that as meaning that he knew of a company that was planning on releasing it. Anyone hear anything about it lately?

WesReviews
01-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Wait a minute...Prom Night was an old Avco-Embassy title. I just now remembered.

So, is it possible that either:

A) The rights to Prom Night reverted back to MGM after they left Anchor Bay?

or

B) That, being an Avco-Embassy title, the rights left Anchor Bay at the same time a number of Avco-Embassy titles left MGM this past year? If this is the case, then who retained these Avco-Embassy titles from MGM and others?

I suppose either way...the plot thickens.

But like Rhett said...Prom Night...everything is alright!!! :banana:

Jack Sommersby
02-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Abysmally made. Dull and protracted and about as scary as a shoe shine. However, Part 2 is actually pretty agreeable trash.

(For the record, I'll take Roger Spottiswoode's 1981 Terror Train as the better non-Halloween, Jamie Lee Curtis-starring slasher.)

betterdan
02-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Prom Night was damn good and I hope it gets the SE treatment soon.

wago70
02-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Prom Night has all the elements that make a good slasher film.

the.wicked.one
02-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by wago70
Prom Night has all the elements that make a good slasher film.

'could have used more nudity...:D

wago70
02-12-2003, 07:01 PM
True... and the gore is rather tame but I don't blame the ratings, I think they just didn't have Savini-esque special effects technology up in Canada at the time.
Of all the things I liked about this film is the foggy-ish photography. The current disc is very much close to theatrical experience I witnessed back in '81 (on a double bill with FINAL EXAM):cool:
You guys would have loved it - the disco scenes were blasted out of the theater's mono speakers...ear-splitting I tell ya! Simply ear-splitting!

Mark Relford
02-12-2003, 09:49 PM
I liked Prom Night for one reason: Jamie Lee Curtis!:sperm:
The decapitation scene was kinda cool.
As for the sequels, Hello Mary Lou and Last Kiss were entertaining. (especially, the unrated vers. of Last Kiss. What a hoot!) The fourth one was stale.

rhett
02-13-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by wago70
True... and the gore is rather tame but I don't blame the ratings, I think they just didn't have Savini-esque special effects technology up in Canada at the time.
Yeah, it was tough for us to get special effects artists because it was tough to communicate living in igloos back in the dark ages of the 1980's. ;)

There were actually some great gore bits in the Canadian made My Bloody Valentine that were cut because of the MPAA, so no, it was not due to a lack of technology...

Fistfuck
02-14-2003, 02:48 AM
Why the hell is this thread still going? It's 8 months old!

Cujo108
02-14-2003, 03:15 AM
So, is it a crime to post in older threads?

I am not really a fan of PROM NIGHT. It was quite dull, and I would call it decent at best. I loved the sequel though, and because of that, I plan on checking out part three.

wago70
02-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Okay Rhett - then it was the budget....:p

Fistfuck
02-14-2003, 05:28 PM
When you have 4 pages of everybody's two-line junior film critic reviews it is! By saying it's lame, bore, and dull you're not adding anything insightful that anybody hasn't said in the first page.

rhett
02-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Fistfuck, films this great deserve to be talked about for years, not months! :D

Haha wago, alright I will agree with you on that one.

rhett
02-14-2003, 05:33 PM
As far as the sequels go Cujo, Part 2 and Part 3 are both solid. Part 2 is actually pretty damn creepy, while Part 3 is delightfully over the top and gruesome. I believe there is one death where Mary Lou actually makes a sundae with one of her victims (cherry and all!). :D

Hellbilly
02-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Heck, I even liked part 4 :D
Never knew there was a unrated version of part 3 available though.

Fistfuck
02-15-2003, 04:48 AM
Alright, well at least talk about part 4, which is probably the best made, if not most enjoyable of the entire series.

Cydeous
02-17-2003, 01:39 AM
I liked "Prom Night" but I haven't bought the DVD. Is it worth getting? Is it OOP? All that I remember of part 2 was that the main chick was nude a lot, which is always a good thing. I remember hating part 3, though.

rhett
02-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Here is my review of the Prom Night DVD for all that is interested:

http://horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/pn/

Tuzotonic
06-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I actually like the Prom Night series even though the movies are not related at all except for parts 2 and 3. I like the first one even though I think it ended abruptly and stole from Halloween and Carrie. The dance sequence is hilarious. Jamie Lee Curtis does her Travolta impersonation like it's nobody's business and Leslie Neilson even shakes a leg (briefly) By the way, whatever happened to him in this movie? He completly disappears after the dance scene and is never seen again in this movie. I really liked Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2. Is was even better than the first one in my opinion and it had some hot Canadian girls in it (but then again, there is something about Canadian girls I'm attracted to. I'm not sure what it is.) The third one wasn't too great ( the weakest of the series) but part 4 is actually pretty scary and is an underrated horror film.

HorrorMaster
07-18-2004, 06:06 PM
"Prom Night" gets my thumbs up. It was your typical slasher flick with great performances by Jaime Lee Curtis and Leslie Nielsen. If you're a fan of slasher flicks at all, it's definitley worth at least a rental.

~THE MASTER~

RickB
07-18-2004, 06:13 PM
I loved the first one with Jamie Lee,but I hated the sequels.

evildeadfan123
07-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Prom Night is on DVD, but it is OUT OF PRINT. I think it is Widescreen. I purchased it when it was still available.

RyanPC
07-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Prom Night is on DVD, but it is OUT OF PRINT. I think it is Widescreen. I purchased it when it was still available.

Also, Platinum just put out a cheapie full frame version that can be had for around $5.99 at some stores.

SaviniFan
07-18-2004, 07:13 PM

Actually Platinum has a full frame version of Prom night now available on DVD. You can find it easily at Best Buy in the cheap section. The transfer is very muddy and lacks detail though. Makes the old Anchor Bay DVD look pristine in comparison. Still, if you aren't region free then it's a cheap alternative until (and if) another region 1 DVD is released.

Tawny
07-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Actually Platinum has a full frame version of Prom night now available on DVD. You can find it easily at Best Buy in the cheap section. The transfer is very muddy and lacks detail though. Makes the old Anchor Bay DVD look pristine in comparison. Still, if you aren't region free then it's a cheap alternative until (and if) another region 1 DVD is released.

It wouldn't matter if he was region free or not, because the only 2 releases of Prom Night are both R1.

RyanPC
07-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Actually Platinum has a full frame version of Prom night now available on DVD.

I already did a post about it. :)

Actually, if you want the film that badly, it's not too bad... I've seen screenshots. IMO, the color is brighter than the AB version, which I always thought was pretty soft and lacking detail (plus it's non-anamorphic).

SaviniFan
07-19-2004, 02:29 AM
I've got both the Platinum and the Anchor Bay and even though the AB DVD is lacking in picture quality, it is definitely superior to the Platinum release. There are scenes in the Platinum that are too dark to see what is going on and it has less detail. Still worth $5.99 just to have it on DVD though.

Katatonia
07-19-2004, 08:32 AM
I've got both the Platinum and the Anchor Bay and even though the AB DVD is lacking in picture quality, it is definitely superior to the Platinum release. There are scenes in the Platinum that are too dark to see what is going on and it has less detail. Still worth $5.99 just to have it on DVD though.

Yeah, I broke down and bought the Fool-Frame Platinum DVD of Prom Night just to see the comparison. My old Anchor Bay DVD of Prom Night definitely wins. I sold the Platinum right away...made a few bucks at least! :evil:

VideoViolence
07-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Where is the AB chat? I'm interested in checking it out myself.....

wago70
07-27-2004, 05:30 PM
You guys should have seen this in the theatres back in '80. It had that soft/foggy thing happening...later copied in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT. See - Prom Night was another "first" in cinematic technology! I always liked the look of the film. You should really hear the film loud - I saw it at one theatre and we had to cover our ears during the screaming parts (way too shrill)...but the music parts were pumpin'!

betterdan
07-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Prom Night was not the first film to be shot with soft focus or whatever you call it when it looks like it's been shot through some cheesecloth.

fceurich39
07-28-2004, 03:36 AM
i dont like prom night it just didnt work for me the sequels are even worse especoally part 2 and 4

Paul0889
07-28-2004, 07:50 AM
my prom night vhs has the NEW LINE cinema logo on it. did they own the rights at one point cause if they still do im sure they'd give it the great special edition treatment

Katatonia
07-28-2004, 08:13 AM
my prom night vhs has the NEW LINE cinema logo on it. did they own the rights at one point cause if they still do im sure they'd give it the great special edition treatment

My old VHS was released by New Line also. They probably just had the distribution rights for awhile.

Matt89
08-13-2004, 03:11 AM
I absolutely adore this film. i don't know why. There were some AWESOME scenes. I have the Anchor Bay disc which is now OOP. I got it off eBay a while back. My fav slasher along with Terror Train, Hell Night, Black Christmas and Halloween.

Horrorphilly
10-24-2007, 12:14 AM
I really enjoy this movie alot.I was wondering what transfer is the Platinum dvd? I have PN and The Gate on a 2 disc set.Is this the most uncut form of this movie? I also have it on vhs from AB.

Sean

bigdaddyhorse
10-24-2007, 01:17 AM
I really enjoy this movie alot.I was wondering what transfer is the Platinum dvd? I have PN and The Gate on a 2 disc set.Is this the most uncut form of this movie? I also have it on vhs from AB.

Sean

I've heard nothing good about the old Platinum transfer. VHS, FS, grainy, shit like that.
I recall hearing the AB disc was too dark in most parts, and think the Plat. was too bright. The new Echo Bridge looks pretty damn good. Far from perfect, but much better than 99% of discs in it's price range.
Pretty sure all the dvds are uncut. The new EB runs shorter as it was mastered from a PAL source without speed correction.