PDA

View Full Version : Exciting New Releases

landrvr
01-05-2001, 04:59 AM
hey, there's a lot of exciting new release confirmations coming in:

Enemy Mine (3/20)

Zardoz (3/20)

Alien Nation (3/20)

The X-Files: The Complete Third Season (5/8)

Big Trouble in Little China: Special Edition (5/22). this is going to be a 2 disc set!!

2001: A Space Odyssey - Special Edition (late 2001)

Hannibal: Special Edition (MGM - 2nd half 2001)

The Princess Bride: Special Edition (MGM - 2nd half 2001). glad i didn't buy the stadard release.

Twin Peaks (Artisan - late 2001)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: Special Edition (Warner - late 2001)
includes commentary by director Mel Stuart, additional commentary by actors Peter Ostrum, Julie Dawn Cole, Denise Nickerson, Paris Themmen and Michael Bollner, featurette and interviews with actor Gene Wilder and Angelo Muscat.
how cool is this.

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Fox - late 2001)
yes, it's official. not that i give a shit.

Superman: Special Edition (Warner - this plus all sequels will be out in mid 2001).

Blade Runner: Special Edition (Warner - late 2001). very, very cool. i've heard rumors around the net that this might just be a 2 disc set. there is a SHITLOAD of material out there that could easily fill 2 discs.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Special Edition (Columbia TriStar - late 2001). this sucker is going to be a 2 disc set!!!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Director's Edition (Paramount - mid 2001)
some of the new CGI work that's being done for this release is very impressive. i've always loved this film.

The Godfather Trilogy (Paramount - late 2001)
cannot wait for this.

Back to the Future Trilogy (Universal - mid 2001). Zzzzzz.

The Terminator: Special Edition (MGM - late 2001)

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 05:15 AM
My wouth waters at the mention of these fine flicks coming soon on DVD: Enemy List, Big Trouble in Little China, Willy Wonka, Superman, Superman 2, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, Godfather trilogy, and The Terminator. 2001 is going to blow last year away!!!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Trashboy
01-05-2001, 05:15 AM
Twin Peaks! Artisan's been promising to release that fucking series for over two years and now I have to wait another! Those bastards!
You Forgot the SE of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
If Warner only releases the R-rated cut of Blade Runner,I will have to make them pay.

joltaddict
01-05-2001, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by landrvr:
Blade Runner: Special Edition (Warner - late 2001). Very, very cool. I've heard rumors around the net that this might just be a 2 disc set. There is a SHITLOAD of material out there that could easily fill 2 discs.

I love this movie but I haven't bought it because there might be a 2 disc set with the theatrical (narrated) version included. I would be very disappointed if it is not. By "very" I mean like "beat-the-wife" disappointed.

Supposedly Ridley Scott HATES the narration with a passion, so I'd say it's probally 50/50 odds on what will end up on the shelves.

TobalRox
01-05-2001, 06:06 AM
I did a report for my film class on Ridley Scott, and yes, he does hate the naration. The studio thought it needed to be narated so the audience would "get it" more, but he absolutely hated it. Also, Ford didn't want to do it, so he even admitted to not putting any effort in recording it. The director's cut, without the naration, is definitely what Ridley wants.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

joltaddict
01-05-2001, 06:30 AM
I would still prefer to have them both. My butchered version of Brazil got watched exactly once, and I may never watch it again, but I'm glad they included it.

And I like Blade Runner Waaaaaaaaay more than Brazil. I would like to see the version that hit the theaters in a SE package with the directors cut, not in place of it.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-05-2001, 04:28 PM
so has anyone heard anything or can they find anything out for us about the narrated
Blade Runner included in the spec. ed.? Dave? I don't feel like wasting my money on some lousy quality out of print VHS for the narrated copy. I haven't seen it since I was very young and remember liking it. I like it both ways and would like to have them.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

joltaddict
01-05-2001, 05:09 PM
There has not been any news on the Blade Runner SE for a while now, at least not from any reliable sources, last thing I can remember is they were gonna try to use the guy responsible for putting together the Alien Legacy set for this SE.

But absolutely nothing regarding content. Just the vague "Special Edition" label, and we all know that standard can vary from T2 to Jacobs Ladder.

landrvr
01-07-2001, 01:57 AM
i agree that the disc should include both versions.

it's really revisionist history at it's best: when Blade Runner was first released, sci-fi fans loved it. there were clubs formed, zines issued, etc. etc.

then, when the director's cut was released, a lot of those same people trashed the first release.

i find both versions stand on their own very well, and totally disagree with those that say that the director's version is infinitely superior.

including the original film would be great for no other reason than to demonstrate how some editing and voice over can significantly change a film's overall feel.

DVD Connoisseur
01-08-2001, 10:56 PM
On the subject of a Blade Runner S.E., I loved the original version of Blade Runner with that Raymond Chandler-style narration. There were a few good lines thrown in, as well. The voice-over gave the film added atmosphere, I thought. When I viewed the Director's Cut, I actually found myself longing for Harrison's narration. I ended up buying the Criterion double LD and leaving the Director's Cut alone. I have to agree that it would be a dream-come-true to have both versions on a double DVD (no seamless branching for me after my T-2 experiences!). I always laugh when I think back to this film being made. Warner nearly pulled the plug on this movie when they saw the rushes and the budget kept growing higher and higher. I guess they were expecting Raiders in Space, or something like that. Warner Bros must be quite embarrassed now. Blade Runner is definitely a film with two lives!

Jeremy
01-09-2001, 06:09 AM
Don't forget the SE of DR. STRANGELOVE, slated for a 2/27 release!