PDA

View Full Version : Ichi the Killer R3 - Cut version?

Azathoth
06-29-2002, 10:59 AM
About 5 minutes after I hit the order button, I get an email from a friend saying the R3 version of Ichi the Killer is the cut version. To quote him:

> As for Ichi the killer , as far as i know , the hong
> kong region 3 dvd is cut. It is a truly bizarre sick
> movie with really over the top violence. I have a
> bootleg vcd taken from hong kong cinema and a lot of
> the stuffs were cut.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Bods
06-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Ichi was cut in HK by about 13 minutes. The upcoming Japanese DVD will be uncut, but have no subtitles.

dlundh
06-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Everyone says its cut. Im getting it either way since the Japanese disc is not an option without subs.

Hopefully a better/more complete version of the movie will be released in the future. It is a great over-the-top gorefest with some truly startling scenes of mayhem which beloings in any horrorfans collection imo.

Azathoth
07-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Just got this R3 DVD in today, and although I've never seen the uncut version, the cuts were extremely obvious.

Overall a good movie, but not as great as I expected. Maybe if I get to see the uncut version my opinion will change.

dlundh
07-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Be adviced: the ucut Ichi is really hardcore stuff and will most certainly not be to everyones liking.

The torture scene is really painful to watch in uncut form. :cool:

DVD Connoisseur
07-14-2002, 08:50 PM
...about to order this title.

What are the chances of a US company releasing the full, uncut Ichi with English subtitles? Given the growing number of companies releasing Asian movies (Unearthed Films being the latest), I feel that an uncut subtitled version may not be too far off.

Disco Stu
07-17-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Azathoth
Just got this R3 DVD in today, and although I've never seen the uncut version, the cuts were extremely obvious.

Overall a good movie, but not as great as I expected. Maybe if I get to see the uncut version my opinion will change.

I saw the uncut Ichi in at Lincoln Center earlier this year and it would not bode well to being cut. It is easily the most violent movie I've seen, you cringe at almost every scene, even if you're not taking it seriously. The uncut version was about 2 hr 10 minutes, so that will be the way to tell. I was also about to order the R3, $7 seemed too good to be true, but thankfully I read this post.

Bods
07-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
What are the chances of a US company releasing the full, uncut Ichi with English subtitles?

Media Blasters have apparently picked up Ichi for theatrical distribution in the US. Even though they aren't known for putting a lot of effort into their Tokyo Shock discs, if they wind up putting it on DVD it *should* be uncut if previous releases are anything to go by.

I loved the movie, though I really didn't find it that violent (only have the hacked HK version to go by). Can't wait to see the uncut version (only a few more days now til the Japanese DVD gets released...)

DVD Connoisseur
07-18-2002, 12:58 PM
This Media Blasters' version will be the one, hopefully, to deliver the goods. Certainly HK Flix are indicating that the Media Blasters release will be a more definitive version. Here's the link to their R3 Ichi the Killer DVD "advert":

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2550/qx/details.htm

I admire HK Flix's honesty as this will cost them sales in the short term. This is one retailer who treats their customers with respect.

Fingers crossed that Media Blasters' release lives up to expectations......

Bods
07-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
I admire HK Flix's honesty as this will cost them sales in the short term. This is one retailer who treats their customers with respect.

That's good of them to mention that, they're the only retailer I've seen to do so, although the comments they make abut the film are somewhat questionable...

"Five stars for shock/gore/gross-out/offensiveness. Zero stars because it's so infuriatingly retarded. Highly recommended if you're just looking for something offensive, not recommended if you have a brain".

poorlogic
07-23-2002, 02:27 AM
Zero stars is a joke, this film is pretty amazing. You can tell it's been heavly cut, but I found the storyline to be interesting and the ending will leave you wondering what the hell you just watched. A great film, with many new ideas I haven't seen before.

Disco Stu
08-21-2002, 04:08 AM
Just saw this on Ebay, and I emailed the seller. He says his version is uncut (probably not anamorphic) and R1, although he has a rating of 1 at the moment. I asked him why he's using the R3 box (the cut version) to show off his item, and he said that the cover would be very similar, so he figured he might as well use it. Here is the auction, I don't know how much to trust him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1557383602

aoiookami
08-21-2002, 08:09 AM
I'm holding out for the R1 release of this title, I read on gorezone.net a few weeks ago that it will be uncut

Azathoth
08-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Disco Stu
Just saw this on Ebay, and I emailed the seller. He says his version is uncut (probably not anamorphic) and R1, although he has a rating of 1 at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1557383602

I've heard there's 2 versions of this floating around.

One is a uncut subtitled screener, possibly VCD transferred. The other is some sort of composite print of the R3 w/subs and the cut parts from the R2 disk (no subs included on those parts).

This thing has to be one of those, being that its an R0 disk.

LJMurder
08-21-2002, 04:22 PM
anything that is uncut now and with subs is definitely a bootleg. the HK release is missing about 15 minutes of footage. it's not expensive though so if you really need to see it then the get the R3 version and just get the Media Blasters release later. Media blasters isn't especially known for their quality releases though.

pappy
09-04-2002, 03:34 PM
The uncut version on ebay is indeed uncut it's a bootleg of course but a very nice print the 15 extr min has no audio

indiephantom
09-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by aoiookami
I'm holding out for the R1 release of this title, I read on gorezone.net a few weeks ago that it will be uncut

I've seen the uncut version at a film fest and it's awesome. I am disappointed owner of the cut version, so this is good news.:)

Azathoth
09-04-2002, 10:53 PM
I've got an uncut VCD, with subs, due in this week. I'll post comments on it here when it arrives.

DavidHess
09-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Probably the best way to watch Ichi right now would be to get the Pioneer region 2 SE. It's uncut, and even though it doesn't have english subtitles you can find a RAR file of subtitles that work with this dvd over on the forums on http://www.asiandvdguide.com. I guess not too many people have been using this subtitle file, but it DOES work.

I wouldn't necessarily say the uncut version makes the film that much better (it's already EXCELLENT!) but it is nice to see all the effects in their complete state, and there's one incredible scene where the disgraced cop (Sabu) picks Ichi off the street and gets him something to eat. The scene is interwoven with the cop's own backstory of how he got into the Yakuza, and it's edited in the same bizarre, nervous style as the end of Audition.

I'm just about finished with a review of the Region 2 DVD which I intend to post shortly.

maybrick
09-05-2002, 04:06 PM

I've heard there's 2 versions of this floating around.

One is a uncut subtitled screener, possibly VCD transferred. The other is some sort of composite print of the R3 w/subs and the cut parts from the R2 disk (no subs included on those parts).

This thing has to be one of those, being that its an R0 disk.

Azathoth, the scan that the person selling the disc chose to use is the exact version I have and it's the cut version. The seller either doesn't know it's uncut or is intentionally lying to you.

Azathoth
09-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Finally got this uncut VCD in today. Horrible, horrible quality, almost unwatchable. Looks like a 20th generation VHS transferred to VCD. Even has 2 different timestamps on the screen constantly.

But, it is completely uncut, and has English subtitles all the way through.

If anyone ever finds a seller, on ebay or otherwise, offering a true uncut DVD it would be nice if they posted it here :)

Bods
09-09-2002, 05:42 AM
If anyone ever finds a seller, on ebay or otherwise, offering a true uncut DVD it would be nice if they posted it here :)

Ichi is going to be released in Holland, and specs indicate completely uncut, english subs, commentary track (by actress Alien Sun, HKL-regular Bey Logan and associate producer Elliot Tong). It'll be PAL though, which'll probably won't help a lot of people.

Head over to www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com for more on this release.

napalm68
09-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Damn it, that will teach me. I just ordered the HK release yesterday (along with a few others). I should have checked here first... Ah well, it was very very cheap. And I have yet to get a dutch made dvd that had a decent transfer...

KillerCannabis
09-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Damn, this movie sounds sweet. I never read this thread but I'm glad I did now. Hopefully this flick does get a good R1 uncut release, cause if it does I'm snatching one up asap. I love flicks like this and this one sounds to be another winner in my book.

Diamondhead
09-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Well I ordered one of the Reg.1 uncut versions from HK and it arrived yesterday. It is indeed a boot of the Pioneer disc (it has the Pioneer logo at the start of the movie) is 16:9 enhanced, 5.1 Dolby and DTS, and runs 128 mins. It has English, Japanese and Chinese subs. There are no English subs on the restored footage. The funniest thing about it is it has a PG-13 rating on the back of the package!

rxfiend
09-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Diamondhead
Well I ordered one of the Reg.1 uncut versions from HK and it arrived yesterday. It is indeed a boot of the Pioneer disc (it has the Pioneer logo at the start of the movie) is 16:9 enhanced, 5.1 Dolby and DTS, and runs 128 mins. It has English, Japanese and Chinese subs. There are no English subs on the restored footage. The funniest thing about it is it has a PG-13 rating on the back of the package!

i just won that same dvd off of ebay yesterday. i was wondering, during those restored footage segments, how much of it is dialogue? or is it just violent scenes/gore footage?

Diamondhead
09-30-2002, 08:46 PM
Almost every violent scene is extended but there are a couple of plot points without the subs.

rxfiend
10-09-2002, 05:35 AM
i just got the bootleg DVD (NTSC/R0) of Ichi today and it looks great! haven't had time to watch it all, but did browse through it. the picture quality is great! also has some extras (like a commentary and interviews) though they are in japanese.
i did watch some of the more violent scenes and it's definately obvisious that this is an uncut release as some of the scenes are very brutal! i definately recommend this disc for those without multi-regional players.

Azathoth
10-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Just recently got my uncut R0 DVD in today. Looks like they just took the uncut Japanese R2 disk and added the subtitles from the R3 version, as the previously cut parts aren't subtitled.

The package itself was pretty neat for a boot, it had a cardboard slipcase with a cool digi-book style case inside that held the DVD.

I noticed a bit of grain in the picture when I watched it on my TV, but I'm assuming that it's apparent in the original R2 as well. It's a DVD9 disk, so they didn't downsample it to fit it onto a single layer disk.