PDA

View Full Version : Wild Zero DVD?

poorlogic
07-03-2002, 05:43 AM
I found Wild Zero DVD on ebay for $14.35 (that includes a outragous shipping charge of $6.50). It's pan & scan, 2.0 dolby digital - looks like a bootleg, anyone seen this disc? The price is certainly right (Poker Industries wanted $50 for it), but I don't want a shit VHS copy like the Substance DVD of Bad Taste.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546457993

Barbarian
07-03-2002, 05:23 PM
I got that copy off ebay...(from that seller I believe)....It is a pretty decent quality if it's a bootleg.

bruce h
07-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Why not just wait until the Synapse release comes out, which will be a superior disc for less money?

mcchrist
08-22-2002, 03:14 AM
I found Wild Zero DVD on ebay for $14.35 (that includes a outragous shipping charge of $6.50). It's pan & scan, 2.0 dolby digital - looks like a bootleg, anyone seen this disc? The price is certainly right (Poker Industries wanted $50 for it), but I don't want a shit VHS copy like the Substance DVD of Bad Taste.

BTW: I thought I'd revive this thread, even though its over a month old and may be irrelevant at this point. I had purchased a copy of this particular DVD off of ebay a few weeks back and I finally watched it. Its pretty amazing quality if its a bootleg, and it is not pan and scan as advertised. Extra features of filmographies and trailers with audio and subtitle options. Overall a nice little disc, though I haven't seen any more adevrtised at this price and it looks like that user (the same person selling it in the original thread) is no longer registered so it very well may be a bootleg (the sleeve looks like it was printed off of a laser jet).

Just an FYI. Bootlegs are becoming more common these days, I've seen some websites of ill-repute offering boots of the Criterion version of Salo, so we may have to be careful on ebay from now on. I know I'd want to bust some ass if I spent $300+ on a bootleg Criterion Salo.

Shannafey
08-22-2002, 05:41 AM
I just posted this site on another thread. I was at a collectibles show this weekend and found a dvd dealer that had some great stuff, including Ring, Ring 2, Versus, Junk and Wild Zero among others. The show was slow, so they gave me Versus and Junk for $25 together. Versus is amazing quality, Junk is Ok. The Wild Zero they had is probably the same one on Ebay. They have it for $15, so give them a try. www.yumyumanime.com

2D4EVER
08-22-2002, 07:44 AM
Question that has nothing to do with your question:
Is this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1557238151) the real Versus DVD? If so I may have to bid on it.:D

Later all...

Shannafey
08-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 2D4EVER
Question that has nothing to do with your question:
Is this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1557238151) the real Versus DVD? If so I may have to bid on it.:D

Later all...

That looks like the Versus dvd I bought. The quality is excellent, the only drawback is the extras aren't subtitled and the commentary is in Japanese, but the quality is excellent and the English subs are great.

Bods
08-23-2002, 04:45 AM
It's a bootleg of the legit Japanese Versus DVD. The legit disc is R2, the disc in your link is listed as R0.

Shannafey
08-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Even if it is a bootleg, if it's the same disc I got, the sleeve for the disc is factory, not a laserprinted one, and the disc has a stamped label on it. Also, as I said, the quality is superb, so if it is a bootleg, I am impressed. Also, it's probably the only way for those of us with region 1 players to see this cool flick.

DVD Connoisseur
08-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Guys, as a rule, links to bootleg sites are not allowed in the forum, for legal reasons rather than anything else. However, as the yumyumanime site mentioned mainly sells legitimate DVDs (and there's a question mark over the Wild Zero DVD anyway), I see no problems.;)

From a personal point of view, I don't purchase bootlegs because although they're cheap, they don't really have any intrinsic value. When an official release comes along, the bootleg is only useful as a coaster. At least a bona fide release has true re-sale value (and it's a pleasure to own). Just my two cents worth, anyway. :o

mcchrist
08-23-2002, 08:57 PM
yeah, the whole yum yum site freaked me out a little as I didn't think there were NTSC copies of Junk or the Baby Cart series, can this be legit at all? Baby Cart in NTSC format, or is someone pulling my leg!?

Shannafey
08-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
Guys, as a rule, links to bootleg sites are not allowed in the forum, for legal reasons rather than anything else. However, as the yumyumanime site mentioned mainly sells legitimate DVDs (and there's a question mark over the Wild Zero DVD anyway), I see no problems.;)

From a personal point of view, I don't purchase bootlegs because although they're cheap, they don't really have any intrinsic value. When an official release comes along, the bootleg is only useful as a coaster. At least a bona fide release has true re-sale value (and it's a pleasure to own). Just my two cents worth, anyway. :o

Sorry for the confusion on the link, but If I actually thought they were boots, I wouldn't have bothered. I agree with you on your thoughts about bootlegs. Even when I am dying to see a film, I will hold back until there's a legit release. I met the guy and girl from YumYum at a show and looked at the stuff before I purchased, and it looked great to me. As I said, if they are boots, man they have me fooled. Everything on the dvd package is professional looking.

Bods
08-24-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Shannafey
Even if it is a bootleg, if it's the same disc I got, the sleeve for the disc is factory, not a laserprinted one, and the disc has a stamped label on it. Also, as I said, the quality is superb, so if it is a bootleg, I am impressed. Also, it's probably the only way for those of us with region 1 players to see this cool flick.

Shit quality isn't the only way to spot a boot.

Most of the time an easy way to identify bootlegs is by the fact that they're R0. There are boots of Takeshi Kitano's Brother out there, made from the perfect R2 Japanese DVD, with proper cover art & all. Same goes for Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Charisma, and numerous others.

And subtitles can be a giveaway too. While the Japanese DVDs of Versus, Brother & Charisma all had subs to begin with there are others such as Miike's Dead Or Alive and Rainy Dog which are available on boots with subtitles added from a timed script that was initially created for those with the legit DVD, to allow them to overlay the subs using a program like DVDSubber.

And yes, if your only R1 capable a boot is the only way for you to see Versus until Media Blasters put out their version.

2D4EVER
08-24-2002, 05:55 AM
When is it supposed to be released in the US and will it have all the extras of the Japanese version? If it won't then I'll get the bootleg now and the US one when it's released. I can't find the original japanese Versus DVD anywhere. And I still don't have a region free dvd player yet so that doesn't help.

Later all..

Bods
08-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 2D4EVER
When is it supposed to be released in the US and will it have all the extras of the Japanese version? If it won't then I'll get the bootleg now and the US one when it's released. I can't find the original japanese Versus DVD anywhere. And I still don't have a region free dvd player yet so that doesn't help.

Later all..

Only time will tell if Media Blasters include the extras from the Japanese DVD on the R1 DVD. They haven't said anything about, just that they own the rights.

The Japanese DVD can be bought from www.cdjapan.co.jp or www.amazon.co.jp not that it matters much, since you can't play it anyway...

Shannafey
08-25-2002, 07:03 AM
As I said, the quality is great, but what sucks is, that the extras are unwatchable, since they aren't subtitled. It blows, because they are cool. One's a cool documentary, and the other is a short film, shot on video, that tells some backstory. I, too, will probably rebuy it if it ever gets released. The boot, if that's what it is, is definitely worth owning. I am going to watch it again this week.