PDA

View Full Version : Hell Night

rhett
05-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Just got through watching Hell Night with Linda Blair, and I was fairly impressed. The running time could have been trimmed by 10 minutes or so, but the film stayed interesting, and the killer was good and creepy. The killer's death was also one of the best of the genre if you ask me! There were some great jump scares in the last ten minutes or so of the film too. I thought it was a pretty good little film, what about you guys?

Egg_Shen
05-12-2002, 05:27 PM
"Hell Night" was quite enjoyable for me as well . It was certainly one of the finer films of the decade, amid such films as "Friday the 13th"(whatever part was released that year) and various other tired slashers. I still have to pick up the Anchor Bay DVD. I heard K-Mart had it for a rather cheap $6.99, but I couldn’t find a copy when I went. Guess I'll have to shell out the extra cash online.

Joel Groce
05-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Yeah, Hell Night is a great atmospheric slasher when the good stuff was still coming out. I really like some of the kills and the end was nicely done. I really like AB's release of this one.

wago70
05-13-2002, 06:26 PM
The rare horror film with a late-night Creature Features/Hammer look and an '80's slasher spirit. Hell Night was that great slasher that didn't let us down - it delivered the goods that cool September night in 1981 (the first week of 7th grade for me). The audience LOVED it - there were screams galore. The part that got EVERYONE was when Linda Blair and Peter Barton were talking and the killer is looming in the background under that rug. Blair has one of the great chase scenes, also - something even the later Friday the 13th's couldn't get right.
Great film!

KillerCannabis
05-15-2002, 10:57 PM
I've never seen this movie, but I've seen the disc around. The only thing stopping me from getting it was that I hadnt seen it and the price was a little too high at the time. Maybe I'll have to make a run to K-Mart and see if mine has any copies in stock. This flick sounds good to me. I love 80's slasher movies.

betterdan
05-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Not to mention Blair's boobs look NICE in this great movie.

Hellbilly
05-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I remember reading lots of articles about "Hell Night" in Fangoria, was all giddy and couldn't hardly wait to see this film. A few years later I've finally watched it on video and it's been a favorite 80s slasher of mine ever since.

Love the AB disc, nice decent picture and the audio commentary is entertaining. I think "Hell Night" was one of the first 16:9 DVDs from Anchor Bay.

Mark Relford
05-17-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by betterdan

She didn't look too bad in the tub scene from Savage Streets. Well, except for that gut.:D
Haven't seen Hell Night in ages. Thanks to this thread, I might check it out tonight.

Paff
05-21-2002, 12:57 AM
I always thought Hell Night was the best of the Halloween rip-offs out there. Much better than any of the Friday the 13th movies.

Hell, the story of Garth Manor alone is a classic.

Great setting, fantastic lighting, nice costumes (which helps keep the film from aging). The commentary is enjoyable too. I was surprised when I found out how proud of the movie Linda Blair is.

One of the interesting things that came up in the commentary was the "candle guys". These guys had pre-burned candles of different lengths, so that early scenes had long candles, later scenes had short ones. Since the film was shot totally out of sequence, it was their job to keep candle continuity.

Also interesting was the three settings. There was a mansion they used for indoor scenes, another mansion used for outdoor scenes, and a set with the infamous gate. So when you see Vincent Van Patten go running out of the house and down to the gate, that's three separate nights of shooting for a 10 second scene.

It's actually one of my all-time favorite horror films, and I watch it several times a year.

rhett
05-21-2002, 01:43 AM
Linda Blair's rack is top notch in this film, but she will always be the possessed girl from The Exorcist in my mind. :(
Blair does look a LOT better now than she ever has though, IMO.

My favorite part of the film is the killer, one of the creepiest stalkers I've ever seen in a slasher!

Max Yokell
07-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Hell Night

Linda Blair in an 80's slasher.

Basic plot 4 pledges, 2 male and 2 female are locked away to survive a night in a haunted mansion while several others try to scare them using an elobrate set-up of tricks.

But oops there is a real killer in there with them. :)

There was some gore but it was fairly tame stuff. There was the constant threat of gratituous nudity, however it never really happened beyond some girl running around in panties and a bra.

Overall it was a kind of fun but stupid movie where characters allways seem to make the wrong choice. Would have prefered some more gory killings though.

I will give it a C+ maybe a B- when graded on a curve against other US Slasher flicks from the 80's.

The DVD was from Anchor Bay and had a 16x9 1.85 transfer that looked pretty damn good considering the source. Mono soundtrack. Trailers, TV Spots, Commentary and some bios are the extras on the disc.

mutleyhyde
07-17-2002, 06:08 AM
I never saw it back in the day, but watching it recently made me yearn for '80s sluts soooo bad. Yes, Linda's rack was mighty yummy looking. :) And seeing Vince Van Patten in something other than Rock and Roll High School, lol! What a dork. :)

Loced Out Demon
07-17-2002, 05:44 PM
I heard this movie is OOP, but I never had heard of it or seen it till now here, has anyone seen it at k mart? or was that just a rumor, maybe ill run up there today. this movie sounds good from how yall talk about it....

Loced Out Demon
07-17-2002, 11:05 PM
"Hell Night"=went up to k mart and they didnt have any, went to suncoast, they had the dvd in there computer in stock, but it was for 24.99, went to circuit city and they had it for 17.99 but i only had 15 dollars. i set it down, then i found a prince of darkness for 9.99. so i got that instead.

*im glad i went out on this lil venture cause ive seen prince of darkness b4 and i know i like it, i havent seen hell night but im gonna keep it in mind... cause from yalls remarks and the story on the back of it, it sounds kinda interesting....

LOD:D

Paff
07-18-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
And seeing Vince Van Patten in something other than Rock and Roll High School, lol! What a dork. :)

Nice weather we've been having, huh Hyde?

But I heard it's raining cats and dogs in Idaho

mutleyhyde
07-18-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Paff

Nice weather we've been having, huh Hyde?

But I heard it's raining cats and dogs in Idaho

"Sure Tom." http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/contrib/dday/laugh.gif

rhett
06-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, what is the commentary track like on the HELL NIGHT DVD? I am thinking of getting the disc, but only if the commentary is a good listen.

Mortis
06-29-2003, 08:02 PM
I like this flick, but that's what I like the most. :D

Originally posted by betterdan

betterdan
06-29-2003, 08:18 PM
You've got good taste Mortis:D

RyanPC
06-29-2003, 08:26 PM
I listened to part of the commentary track on my old disc... it was pretty good, but not the best commentary track I've heard. But of course I can't really judge it because I didn't watch the whole thing. I guess I got interuppted or something. :D

r_burgos2003
06-29-2003, 08:32 PM
It's a very good commentary ;)

bigdaddyhorse
06-29-2003, 08:58 PM
There are still a bunch of copies at Circut City here, but they're $15.99 + tax.
I traded my old disc, but will probably get the "drive-in" disc with this on it later this year.

onebyone
06-30-2003, 02:49 AM
The commentary was good, but not the best you ever heard or anything, but it isn't the worst either. I for sure enjoyed it.

This movie is such fun, I haven't watched it in while. This thread makes me want to give the dvd a spin tonight.

r_burgos2003
06-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Wait till the double disk set. 2 movies, cheaper than the price of one

speanroc
06-30-2003, 04:24 AM
one of the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the dvd is cut!!!!!!!!!

Rock
06-30-2003, 07:11 PM
OK, you got my attention...what's been cut? About the goriest thing in the movie is Kevin Brophy's death-by-scythe in the garden...am I mistaken? Mae's decapitation has never been completely shown, cable, theater, or DVD...

This is just about the mildest R-rated slasher I've ever seen...

r_burgos2003
06-30-2003, 07:12 PM
What is cut on the DVD???

onebyone
07-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Cut?? Seriously, what is cut? I didn't notice anything missing when I got it. Is there gore I never saw before?

Paff
07-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by rhett
Hey guys, what is the commentary track like on the HELL NIGHT DVD? I am thinking of getting the disc, but only if the commentary is a good listen.

I really enjoyed the commentary. Now, there's a lot of self-congratulation ("That looks great", "What a good scene", "I love this"), but a lot of very interesting bits about the making of the film. Give it a go.

wago70
07-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Hell Night is one of the best movies. The murders weren't as graphic as Friday the 13th, but the MPAA came down hard on all the horror movies that year. I think what is shown is fine, however.

Hellbilly
07-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I think to remember they mention in the audio commentary a more graphic decapitation of the blonde chick that never made it in the final version.

wago70
04-29-2007, 05:26 AM
Has anyone noticed a few "snags" in the music soundtrack in only a few scenes? The electronic score on my 1982 Media VHS sounds smooth, but on the DVD there are "jumps" where the music should be continuous and smooth - sounding much like when a cassette tape drags. Anyone else notice?

DVD-fanatic-9
04-30-2007, 09:14 AM
I noticed that in the trailer for the movie. But I don't think I noticed that in the final version. I'll have to watch it again to check for that.

MidnightRambler
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Watched this for the first time last night and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. Although some hardcore slasher fans might complain about relative lack of gore and nudity, I didn't mind 'cause it had good characters, acting, atmosphere, bits of originality, even some scares and suspense. What impressed me most was the direction, I think even Carpenter would be proud of some scenes, eg. when the killer is leering over the sleeping girl, the labyrinth scene, the final killing and ending shot... Were it not for some script issues IMO this movie could be placed up there with the high class slashers like Halloween, NOES and Black Christmas. As it is I would still rate it higher than the majority of 80s slashers, including F13 movies... 7/10

snowbeast323
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Hell Night was one of those films I didn't expect too much from, but I really liked it, its defineitely one of the better made films of that period, and is without a doubt my very favourite Linda Blair film of all time

dave13
06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
its defineitely one of the better made films of that period, and is without a doubt my very favourite Linda Blair film of all time

:eek1:
i dig it too, but better than the exorcist? or even savage streets? i dunno....

Harry Warden
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Yeah..I have to agree. I liked Blair's performance in the Exorcist more than Hell Night, but that being said, this is a terrific horror film. It's hard to categorize this film and it's not too gory, but has it's very creepy moments.

Kim Bruun
06-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Snowbeast323 didn't say it was better. He just said it was his favourite movie with Linda Blair. I definitely consider The Exorcist to be of a higher caliber than Hell Night, but I enjoy Hell Night much more, hands down. The Exorcist just isn't an energetic thrill ride in the same way.

captain_brandon
06-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I REALLY tried to get into this one, as I own the Anchor Bay disc, and am a big fan of Mrs. Blair's post-Exercist exploitation roles (with Night Patrol and of course, Savage Streets, being my favorites). But even as big time old school Slasher & Giallo buff, this didn't really entertain me much, personally.

Ah well; to each they're own.

dave13
06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Snowbeast323 didn't say it was better. He just said it was his favourite movie with Linda Blair. I definitely consider The Exorcist to be of a higher caliber than Hell Night, but I enjoy Hell Night much more, hands down. The Exorcist just isn't an energetic thrill ride in the same way.

fair enough, to be sure...but honestly, i meant favorite as well as best. anyway, all three are great films imo.

Shlockjock81
06-13-2009, 01:07 AM
I can see why people liked this one, but I was pretty let down. It had its moments, but it just didn't "thrill" me. A film I would compare this one to would be "The Funhouse", which I enjoyed quite a bit (if that comparison makes any sense. I find them to be similar in tone.)

vampyr789
06-13-2009, 05:39 AM
classic slasher IMO. i really love this one, Linda is awesome in it, really atmospheric and pretty scary. It has some good jumps too, lol the first time i saw it, i acutally screamed at the part when shes driving away and the monster appears on top....it scared the hell out of me :D

Erick H.
06-13-2009, 08:09 AM
A fun one,it pushes atmosphere over gore and has a nervy finale.Linda was pretty fetchinging in her costume,almost looked like she strolled out of an old Hammer film.

Paff
06-13-2009, 08:36 AM
A fun one,it pushes atmosphere over gore and has a nervy finale.Linda was pretty fetchinging in her costume,almost looked like she strolled out of an old Hammer film.

One of my favorite things about the movie. An unintended result of that is that the movie seems less "80s-ish", and holds up better than many other films from the era. Look at Halloween, with the big bell-bottoms, or Friday the 13th with the guys all wearing very short-shorts.

Erick H.
06-13-2009, 08:56 AM
One of my favorite things about the movie. An unintended result of that is that the movie seems less "80s-ish", and holds up better than many other films from the era. Look at Halloween, with the big bell-bottoms, or Friday the 13th with the guys all wearing very short-shorts.

Agreed.The fact that they are in costume actually gives it a timeless quality rather than looking "of it's time" due to dated fashions.

Paff
06-21-2009, 08:59 AM
You know, I watched this last night. First time in anamorphic, for me, and it really looks great. I especially love the "soft" look, in the scenes with Linda Blair and Peter Barton in that room as they get to know each other. It's really a very well-shot film from beginning to end.

wago70
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Has anyone noticed a few "snags" in the music soundtrack in only a few scenes? The electronic score on my 1982 Media VHS sounds smooth, but on the DVD there are "jumps" where the music should be continuous and smooth - sounding much like when a cassette tape drags. Anyone else notice?

This still bothers me when watching the DVD. No reviews online have made mention of this. It's mainly in the scenes where Marty and Jeff are escaping the underground lair and during Marty's run through the gardens. A few prior scenes have this as well.

ronnie21
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
this was shot between november and december of 1980...

Mutilated Prey
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Just received a copy of the Double Feature DVD of Hell Night and Fade to Black Brand New for $12 from an eBay seller. It has all the proper UPC's, seals and actually has a "KMart 9.99" sticker on the front - SCORE :D

CPT HOOK
01-19-2011, 04:50 AM
As soon as I read that, I rushed to e-bay. No luck. :(

Never seen Fade To Black, always wanted to though. I still own Hell Night on VHS.

Great find, Mutilated Prey.

Mutilated Prey
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the seller I got it from has a ridiculously high score with a decent amount of negative feedback. It's apparent they just turn around massive amounts of movies, CD's and books as quick as possible without really doing the research. Right place at the right time luck for me I guess. I was definitely worried it would either never show up or be used/damaged. The other weird thing was it came in an Amazon box :confused:

cazzasguy
01-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Great to see these ancient threads resurrected! I remember seeing this on VHS about 20 years ago, and just discovered after running DVDProfiler that I bought the R2 SE disc in 2008 but have never even unwrapped it.

Watching the film tonight, that's for sure!

dickieduvet
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
This really needs a Blu-Ray release, Anyone know who has the rights now, Still AB ??

spawningblue
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,

I know there were a few people on here looking for a copy. I happened to come across a sealed copy and am looking to sell or trade it.

If you are interested, send me a pm.

Here's the thread I started.

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?threadid=42712

I'm surprised no one has shown any interest in it yet. Might have to just sell it on eBay although I would prefer someone on here to get it.

Thanks!

Franco
09-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Do you know what's keeping this classic and well known slasher from reaching the HD media?

DVD-fanatic-9
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Wasn't this one of those titles that was swooped up in the Image "Midnight Whatever" thing (Madness?)?

CPT HOOK
09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Wasn't this one of those titles that was swooped up in the Image "Midnight Whatever" thing (Madness?)?

No, I don't think so.

Amazon is selling it as a burnt DVD-R. The studio is listed as Anchor Bay, but I wasn't aware they were doing DVD-Rs now.

Paff
09-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I was at the Scream Factory panel at Comic Con in July, and I asked if they were releasing it (even knowing that if they were, they couldn't say anything until it was "official", as announcing it at a con Q&A is the same as an official announcement nowadays), and they definitively said no.

So if it is coming on Blu, it sure as hell won't be Scream Factory.

Although after I asked my question, one of the SF reps mentioned how much he loved the movie too, and then said that Peter Barton had bought the mansion the movie was filmed at, and immediately had it demolished. Of course, that's total BS as the mansion where it was filmed is a multi-million dollar museum outside of LA. And it's still available for weddings and special events. Only thing I can think the SF guy was talking about was where the interiors of the film were shot.

zbinks
09-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I would've thought Trancas International Films (http://site.trancasfilms.com/Horror) to be the company who licensed the film to Anchor Bay, along with Fade to Black, Halloween, Halloween 4 and Halloween 5, but have never gotten a confirmation or denial to say otherwise. Scream Factory usually responds that they've been unable to determine who has the rights.

Edit: Apparently Trancas is not the licensor for Hell Night. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6325259&postcount=480

I really hope Anchor Bay/Starz' contract with Trancas, Falcon, and Compass runs out soon. Halloween I, IV, and V, Hell Night, Tourist Trap, Blood Beach, Roller Boogie, Lion of the Desert, The Message, and Al-risalah are all held up in getting truly proper releases. Lion of the Desert and The Message were given shoddy 1080i PAL releases in the UK, and some of these films are just being sat on like Tourist Trap, Blood Beach, and Hell Night.Trancas does not control HELL NIGHT, TOURIST TRAP (Charles Band), BLOOD BEACH (probably Paramount) and ROLLER BOOGIE (MGM).

spawningblue
09-13-2013, 01:14 AM
I was at the Scream Factory panel at Comic Con in July, and I asked if they were releasing it (even knowing that if they were, they couldn't say anything until it was "official", as announcing it at a con Q&A is the same as an official announcement nowadays), and they definitively said no.

So if it is coming on Blu, it sure as hell won't be Scream Factory.

Although after I asked my question, one of the SF reps mentioned how much he loved the movie too, and then said that Peter Barton had bought the mansion the movie was filmed at, and immediately had it demolished. Of course, that's total BS as the mansion where it was filmed is a multi-million dollar museum outside of LA. And it's still available for weddings and special events. Only thing I can think the SF guy was talking about was where the interiors of the film were shot.

Cliff also denied Halloween 3 and Night of the Demons so hopefully they will one day pick this one up.

elDomenechHDG
09-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Warner Bros. keeps re-releasing the same old stuff year after year in "better" editions: Wizard of Oz, JFK, Gone With the Wind. Yet, a true masterpiece like Hell Night gets one DVD and an Amazon-exclusive DVD-R 15 years later. the world just isn't a fair place.

dave13
09-13-2013, 01:23 PM
:lol: I like how in the context of Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, you consider Hell Night the "true" masterpiece.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-13-2013, 03:59 PM
No love for JFK?

dave13
09-13-2013, 04:33 PM
No love for JFK?

haha it's a decent film, but not exactly at the level of GwtW or TWoO.

Christy
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Anyone know if there is any plans to give this film the HD treatment?