PDA

View Full Version : NEW MechaGodzilla

KR~!
07-07-2002, 08:12 PM
The next Godzilla film from Japan will have the return of the classic gaint robot!

check out the pic :

http://66.216.76.201/monsterzero/news/newmg.jpg

Max Yokell
07-08-2002, 12:56 AM
Sorry to go on a side tangent but....

Speaking of the Big G. :) I noticed that Sci-Fi had a bunch of Godzilla movies on yesterday. Most were letterbox. In looking at the programing info I noticed that several of them had a year of production I did not think sounded right. They had several of them as being made in the 90's. Some were even titles I thought were much older then the 90's so were there some remakes or something?

I was away and did not get a chance to watch them.

Max

KR~!
07-08-2002, 01:40 AM
there was tons of G movies made in the very late 80's 90's and the last few years. Here's a list :

GOJIRA VS. BIORANTE (Godzilla vs. Biollante)
Release Date: 12/16/1989

GOJIRA VS. KINGUGIDORAH (Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah)
Release Date: 12/14/1991

GOJIRA VS. MOSURA (Godzilla vs. Mothra)
Release Date: 12/12/1992

GOJIRA VS. MEKAGOJIRA (Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II)
Release Date: 12/11/1993

GOJIRA VS. SPACEGOJIRA (Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla)
Release Date: 12/10/1994

GOJIRA VS. DESTOROYAH (Godzilla vs. Destroyer)
Release Date: 12/9/1995

GODZILLA 2000 MILLENNIUM (Godzilla 2000)
Release Date: 12/11/1999

GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS: G-ERADICATION OPERATION
Release Date: 12/16/2000

Godzilla - Mothra - King Ghidorah: Daikaiju Soukougeki
Release Date: 12/15/2001

GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA
coming soon!

KillerCannabis
07-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Fuck yea. Sounds great to me. I've been a HUGE Godzilla fan my whole life, since I was 5 yrs. old. I love every movie ever done with Godzilla vs. Monster Zero probably being my favorite. And I hated the US "remake" only because they called that "thing" Godzilla, even though it was just a mutant iguana. How lame. I love how Toho is making Big G pictures again. Godzilla 2000 was a fresh outtake on the series and I loved it. I cant wait for more of these movies to make their way to disc on R1. Especially the older films, although when they do get their release here it'll only be crappy full-frame transfers. Fuck that. I'll still get them though.

Max Yokell
07-08-2002, 02:30 PM
I did not realize that Godzilla was so damn busy durring the 90's. I thought he was busy resting on his laurels for most of the 90's.

Max

KR~!
07-08-2002, 11:56 PM
the Japanese Godzilla DVD are so sweet! They are 100% uncut (just in case you didn't know, ALL the us versions were cut!, except for the crappy Sony one!) More so with the old ones than these new ones. You wouldn't belive how much they were changed for the US market, some are almost totally different movies! Some have almost an hour worth of film cut out! It's insane!

Here are two new Godzilla DVD (for Japan only)

August 21, 2002 will see the release of both GMK and Godzilla' 95 on DVD in Japan. GMK will be a 3 disc set priced at 10,000y. Disc 1 will be the film, Disc 2 & 3 will have hours of behind the scene footage, image galleries, and more. The GMK VHS will be on sale August 2.

Godzilla vs. Destroyer is a single disc priced at 6,000y. It will have the usual audio commentaries, trailers, image galleries, and more. As usual neither GMK or GvsD will have English subtitles.

mcchrist
07-09-2002, 02:10 AM
GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS: G-ERADICATION OPERATION

Is Sony going to release this? I know that they were planning on giving it a theatrical release at one point, but that was probably based off of Godzilla 2000 sales.

Its OK either way I suppose, G vs. Megaguirus is on Region 3 DVD.

rxfiend
07-09-2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by KR~!
the Japanese Godzilla DVD are so sweet! They are 100% uncut (just in case you didn't know, ALL the us versions were cut!, except for the crappy Sony one!)

not all US versions were cut. most were uncut, but there are a few that are cut.

as for having almost a hour cut out, you're exaggerating just a bit there. at the most, probably around 15 mins would be cut from a particular film. of the 25 G films (not counting Sony's), only about 11 (give or take 1) have been cut. that's not even half and most were cut by just a few minutes. This comes from one of the best G websites out there:
http://www.stomptokyo.com/godzillatemple/

KR~!
07-09-2002, 08:00 AM
That's not true since many mins were taken out and replaced by new footage! So you do the math!

This book goes into extreme detail about what was edited out, what was changed, adn what was added to all the old films.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786403004/qid=1026194215/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6214694-1761733

KR~!
07-09-2002, 08:08 AM
It's too late here now, but later I will post some detailed information from my Godzilla books.

rxfiend
07-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by KR~!
That's not true since many mins were taken out and replaced by new footage! So you do the math!

This book goes into extreme detail about what was edited out, what was changed, adn what was added to all the old films.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786403004/qid=1026194215/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6214694-1761733

ya new footage was placed in films like Godzilla '54, King Kong Vs Godzilla, Godzilla '84, etc..

i'm aware of that.

but when you say almost a hour of footage was cut from a film, that's kind of unbelieveable there. please name the film as i'm interested and will follow up on that.

KR~!
07-10-2002, 01:59 AM
Gojira
Japanese Version : 98 mins
US Version : 81 mins

I can't find the exact amount of new footage that was edited in.

So add up all of Burr's screentime with 17 mins and that's how much was cut, the movie was also re-edited, with many scenes being shown out of order and the dialogue is also different, as well as the plot.

The exact times as in turns out were not in any of the books that I have, (I don't have the black book), but it was on a webiste, which I can't find anymore (I search for two hours with no luck). This website did something like what the book does in which it compared the US and Japanese version point by point.

I have both the Japanese and US versions and those times are misleading, since if you ever get a chance to see the two back to back, you will understand just how much is missing and just how much was added.

rxfiend
07-10-2002, 03:37 AM
oh i know about the original being tampered with. i haven't seen the original japanese version (one of these days i'll have to grab a bootleg) yet but i've read about it.

KR~!
07-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Damn, I really wish I had that website....

Other movies to look for, please remember that I am going from memory so I may miss a few things.

Godzilla Raids Again : This movie was also cut, the US version has extra footage added in and footage taken out, the plot was also changed from the Japanese version. The US version is almost unwatchable, while the Japanese version is a killer follow up the the 1st flim.

King Kong vs Godzilla : More major changes here, the soundtrack is different. In the Japanese version, there are only Japanese actors, so everytime you see non Japanese actors that's the new footage that was added in. The human story of course is totaly different in the two versions as a result, and the plot of the film is totally different.

Mothra vs Godzilla : This is the only film where new Godzilla footage was added (when he's attacked by Navy Ships). Making this the only US version that improved from the Japanese version!

Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster : 11 mins were cut here, all of which was part of the human story, 11 minds of pure boredom , so you are not missing much. I think that this helps the pacing of the US version which I like better. The US version however is not letter boxed like the Japanese version on the VHS tapes.

Monster Zero : Before you ask, Yes Glenn is suppose to in it and is in both versions. About 4 mins were cut. Nick Adams uses his real voice in the US version, in the Japanese version it's dubbed.

I'll stop here for now, I will keep going later.

As far as those "almost an hour of footage cut" movies are, they are the following :

Godzilla (1st one), King Kong vs Godzilla, and Godzilla 85'. If you want to get the Japanese versions of the Godzilla flims those are the ones to start with. You can then get the rest later.

rxfiend
07-10-2002, 01:50 PM
speaking of Monster Zero, from what i know, the Simitar R1 DVD is uncut. is that true? it still has the english dub, but from what everyone has told me, it is uncut.

at any rate, it's a nice dvd as it's one of the few R1 G dvds that's in glorious widescreen!

KR~!
07-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by rxfiend
speaking of Monster Zero, from what i know, the Simitar R1 DVD is uncut. is that true? it still has the english dub, but from what everyone has told me, it is uncut.

at any rate, it's a nice dvd as it's one of the few R1 G dvds that's in glorious widescreen!

I don't have any DVDs, just VHS of G's movies but here's how you can tell :

Uncut version runs : 96 mins

Cut version runs : 92 mins

Now go check your DVD, what is the running time?

rxfiend
07-11-2002, 02:22 AM
fuck, it's the cut version. oh well, still a great dvd! :)

speaking of uncut releases, i picked up the HK "Terror of Mechagodzilla" dvd not too long ago. too bad it's P&S though. but it's great to have the full version of the movie. i hear the other HK dvds are uncut as well (the others being "G vs Gigan", "G vs Megalon", "G vs Smog Monster" & "G vs Mechagodzilla").

KR~!
07-11-2002, 02:48 AM
speaking of uncut releases, i picked up the HK "Terror of Mechagodzilla" dvd not too long ago. too bad it's P&S though. but it's great to have the full version of the movie.

There are 4 different cuts of that movie :

Japanese : 83 mins

UK version : 89 mins

US TV version : 89 mins (not same as UK version)

US video : 79 mins

more info from IMDB :

The film is missing a great deal of footage which changes the story. The uncut version shows why Mechagodzilla 2 suddenly shorts out, who dies, etc. It also features the only example of nudity in a Godzilla film, albeit fake: prosthetic breasts while operating on cyborg Katsura.

The Britsh version has a prologue which contains footage from Kaijuu Daisenso (1965), among others.

The older (and no longer used) US televsion version was completely uncut (for once) with the exception of the "breast" scene towards the end. In addition to this it also featured a new 6 min "prologue" (which was made by the distributors) explaining Godzilla's origin and how the aliens made the other monsters to try to takeover the Earth (using clips from a ton of Godzilla films). In this version the credits are listed differently as well. Towards the mid 80's this version was no longer aired and when Paramount released their newer tv/video version, it was cut down, featured a slightly different credit intro, and no longer had the great 6 min prologue. Long time rumors have it that the switch was supposedly an error (or overlook) that was never fixed. All US current versions (on all formats) of this film are the cut down one.

rxfiend
07-11-2002, 03:00 AM
well i'm referring to the uncut japanese version. it includes that (fake) breast shot.

KR~!
07-11-2002, 05:58 AM
sweet dude!

oh I want to correct myself on Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster, 11 mins were in fact cut, but I was thinking of Destory All Monsters, which has 3 mins of pure boredom cut out. I forgot what the 11 mins of cut footage is on Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster.

Another movie that has some important editing is Godzilla Vs Gigan aka Godzilla on Monster Island. This a fun one, since you can see what they edited out in the US version! I will explain, there are only two big differences, one is that they don't talk to each other (godzilla and anguirus) in the Japanese version, instead they use comic book style word balloons which translate their monster talk, in the US version they talk english to each other, that always freaked me out as a little kid ;)
Also, the fights have a lot more blood in the Japanese version! Funny thing is, that in the last VHS release of this film, after the movie they show the trailer and a still gallery, well in the trailer you get the see the blood that they edited out of the movie itself, go figure!