PDA

View Full Version : Halloween: Resurrection thoughts (SPOILERS!!!)

Dave
07-13-2002, 05:03 AM
One last warning....

<H3 ALIGN="center">MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!</H3>

Okay, I'm cleared to go.

At the beginning of H:R, Laurie Strode is in a mental institution. These two nurses beginning discussing Laurie and her maniac brother, Michael Myers. At this point we see flashbacks to H20 where we learn that at some point towards the end of the movie, Michael switches outfits with a police officer. Michael crushes the officer's throat, not enough to kill him but enough so the office cannot talk. This explains why the police officer didn't say "Yo, Laurie bitch, I aint Michael!!!!" when he climbed out of the body bag. So as it turns out, Laurie decapitated a copy, which apparently explains why she's in a mental institution.

Okay, shitty enough yet? No? Okay, here's some more. Laurie is in this mental institution and she hardly ever talks. It's been 3 years since her last encounter with Michael, but she's knows he's alive and she knows he's going to come back for her. While everyone else thinks Laurie is being good and stashing her medication, she's really stuffing the pills inside of this teddy bear of some sort.

Next, Michael shows up and starts killing off some of the staffers and security guards. At this point I'm thinking that I may accidentally be watching Halloween 2. No, I'm not, this is much worse because there's absolutely no tention build up here (there was at least some in Halloween 2). And it's unfortunate because this is where it would have worked best.

After a short chase through the hospital, there's a showdown on the roof top between Laurie and Michael. Laurie captures Michael in this trap she rigged. She now has him hanging upside down by one leg, several feet off the ground. Michael lost his knife; Laurie has the perfect chance to kill him. She starts to cut the rope he's hanging by, which would send him crashing into the pavement hundreds of feet below. Michael starts fiddling with his mask, at which point Laurie gets this premonition that ONCE AGAIN this isn't really Michael. OF COURSE, it's obviously another poor police officer that was dupped by Michael. I mean, that would explain why he just chased you through the building with a knife. &lt;/sarcasm&gt; Oh right, there was that 2 minutes where Laurie was waiting for him to come up onto the roof. Maybe he switch clothes with someone....

At this point I become Scott Evil from Austin Powers. "Laurie, I have a gun, let me go get it and we'll both kill him!!!"

Okay, ready? Laurie decides she better take off Michael's mask to make sure it's him (does she even know what he looks like under that?). She gets close enough so that - you guessed it - Michael can grab her. And grab her he does. They go over the side of the building where they are both hanging onto the ledge. Michael someone recovers his knife and plunges it into Laurie. Yes, it's over folks. Laurie Strode won't be down for breakfast.

If the movie ended here, I would have only been marginally disappointed. As soon as Laurie dies I'm thinking, "What's next? This is it, it's over." Without a family member to go after, Michael Myers is retired. And that seems to be the case, too. As Michael is leaving he hands his knife to one of the patients. It was signying that his quest was complete, that he was ready to call it quits.

I guess Michael decides to come out of retirement when people setup a fucking Internet broadcast out of his childhood home. I don't even want to talk about it. It was just horrible. Basically it was people wandering around a house getting killed off by Michael, while several people watched over the Internet. There was so much space filler with all these dicks walking around the house doing absolutely nothing. I wanted to leave SOOOO bad, but I forced myself to stay.

And yes, there's room left at the end for a sequel. Michael isn't going anywhere my friends.

Tension? NO!

Scares? NO!

Character development? DOUBLE NO!

Blood/gore? A bit, but nothing to get excited over. Blood/gore wasn't essential in earlier Halloween movies thanks to great tension and scares. Halloween: Resurrection has neither, so some extra gore may have helped.

Halloween Resurrection was a pure turd. Avoid it at all costs. I hope it bombs at the box office. At least then it might take another 10 years for a sequel, instead of just 4.

Loced Out Demon
07-13-2002, 05:17 AM
yeah the suspense was a downfall{among others}, I enjoyed seeing michael back to stalking again. one part that was pretty lame, how michael just walks away from busta. lol busta shoulda been killed rite there, u think michael woulda been mad that busta was in his wardrobe...

moogong
07-13-2002, 05:29 AM
I agree with you for the most part Dave. Trying to tie the franchise into the internet craze was dumb and pointless. That whole "Decker" character was shitty and wrote in just to move the plot along.

I cannot believe how weak Laurie Stode's door was. You could tell that it was made of balsa wood. Wouldnt a mental insitute have better security measures??

There was no character development in this movie. Just a bunch of dumb college student. The only good thing is that they were the dumb teens from the WB network.

The death of Laurie Strode kinda sucks because you figure she beat Micheal...but no...he gets her. That should have capped off the series.

Tyra Banks is the hottest chick on the planet but she had no role in the movie. I'm sure she took up a good chunk of the budget that could have gone to making a better movie.

Aww..forget it. I could gripe forever. I will get this on dvd just to have the whole series. They had better be a killer directors cut on that disc because this movie blew.

DefJeff
07-13-2002, 06:53 AM
holy shit, people were getting up and walking out of this movie.
i didnt like anything after Halloween 2 (but i still go see the movies everytime they are released in the theater for some reason), but this was definitally the worst sequal.

Busta Rhymes doin kung fu on Michael just didnt work for me

betterdan
07-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Busta Rhymes doin kung fu on Michael? hahahahaha I'm glad I didn't see this piece of crap and I will definately NOT buy any dvd of it. When are those idiots gonna learn rapping jerkoffs and horror movies don't mix especially when they do kung fu. hahahaha

WesReviews
07-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Okay...

Coming from someone who hates Halloween 6, was disappointed at H20 for neglecting to recognize parts 4-6...I'm here to tell you that Halloween: Resurrection was a VERY solid Halloween film.

From Brad Loree's first moments on-screen as Michael, you'll say to yourself "now THAT'S Michael Myers". He's easily the best Michael actor since Nick Castle. He has the mannerisms, the walk, everything down to a tee.

The music...was good and sounded a lot more synth at times than Danny Lux had said it would be. Lux's rendition of the main theme sounds close to Carpenter's original at times (although I wish he'd used other pieces of music from the original films). He's no Alan Howarth, but he did alright. Much better than Ottman on H20's generic score.

The mask...well, it works much better than I thought it would. The pics online, the brief glimpses of it in the trailers, all had me worried that the mask would be terrible. But it was used very, very effectively. It may have too much detail (ala, part 6's mask) but the way Rosenthal shot the mask in scenes, it looks very much like it did in the original and Part II. A very decent mask, and easily much better than 5, 6, and H20's masks. I liked how you couldn't see the eyes inside the mask like you could in H20. You can see them a little toward the end of the film, but it's really not that bad. Much better than H20, as I said.

Michael Myers...as I said before, Brad Loree did an excellent job and I hope they hire him again and again for the future sequels. He truly showed Michael's eerie, robot-like zombie presence. I'm glad Rosenthal went with the breathing inside the mask as well. It's something that a few of the sequels decided not to include and this one used it fairly effectively.

The deaths...very impressive. While not the caliber of Jason X in the gore department, they were very impressive for a modern horror film. Violence and gore aren't dead. Ask Michael Myers.

Honestly, my LEAST favorite part of the film was the opening with Laurie Strode. It felt very lifeless, and was a very wasted use of the character's death.

Now, the rest of the film isn't a horror classic, but in the Halloween catalog, I feel it's a very, very solid sequel. It still ignores parts 4-5, but what can you do? That crap started with H20. I don't dislike H20, but it had a few fundamental problems that thankfully, H:R mostly corrects. The 4-5 disappearance being the only one left un-corrected. Everything else: the score, the Michael character...it's all in line with what's come before.

The film's only major problem is that there isn't a good strong central character that you feel anything for. There is no Laurie Strode, Jamie, or Rachel Caruthers (spelling?) character. Busta Rhymes really didn't get on my nerves as much as I was dreading he would. I think the IDEA of Busta Rhymes being in Halloween: Resurrection was much worse than the execution of the idea. Most of the other characters are pretty un-interesting (and Sean Patrick Thomas's chef character is just annoying), but no more lifeless or un-interesting than your average slasher film character.

The film could've had a little more story. It could've had a little more character development. However, as a pure slasher film using the Michael Myers character, Halloween: Resurrection definitely could've beem much worse.

Before I saw the film, I was quite upset at the thought that this movie would most-likely make more money than Jason X, but after seeing the finished product, I feel that Rosenthal and the rest of the crew deserve a very hefty box-office for truly making me fear Michael Myers for the first time since Part 4.

I'm telling you guys...all you naysayers...you're gonna be surprised. I know I was.

Oh...

And my opinion on H8 vs JX...for my money, Halloween: Resurrection is a better film than Jason X.

I completely didn't expect to feel this way. As I said, months ago, I was angry at the thought that H8 would make more money than JX, but upon seeing the finished film I have to face the facts: After seeing Jason X, I walked out feeling sorry for the Friday series. After seeing Halloween: Resurrection I feel positive about the Halloween franchise.

Cujo108
07-13-2002, 09:21 AM
Well, I just returned from seeing it earlier tonight, and I surprisingly really enjoyed it! Its not a classic movie, but it is great fun (at least in my opinion), and its thankfully light years better than H20, and part 5.

The Myers house was a wonderful setpiece. Really neat looking, and creepy too. Also, the death scenes were pretty groovy, especially the head crushing , and the mirror scene really caught me off gaurd and was one of the best parts in the film.

Katee Sackhoff (Jenn) is really hot, and she was easily my favorite character in the film.

The web cams added quite a lot to the film if you ask me, and I had a feeling they probably would. I don't think they are dated at all, and I was glad they were a part of this film.

Bash me if you want, but I don't give a shit. I enjoyed this film quite a bit, and I'm not afraid to admit it. It definitely isn't as good as the original or part 3 though, but it is better than ALL of the other sequels, with part 4 coming in really close behind it. I will be getting the DVD, because this film was extremely enjoyable for me, and is the third best film in the series.

KillerCannabis
07-13-2002, 11:42 AM
I gotta go with Dave on this one. This was horrid. The story line (can I call it that?) sucked a big one and the characters were so underdeveloped that you didnt give a shit whether they got killed or just wandered off screen and left forever. Too many pointless characters like Tyra Banks' role, the "Deckard" guy and even Busta Rhymes busted ass. I dont know how ANYONE thats a fan of the series could have honestly enjoyed it. As for the explanation at the beginning of how Michael is still alive....the whole paramedic switch thing. How could a paramedic survive: a crushed larynx, going through a windshield, being hit by a van, rolling down a hill and being pinned to a tree by the van and still live? Exactly. He couldnt have. I HATE sequels that think we're stupid enough to forget the other sequels before it. And as for the comment that H:R is better than Jason X? If you think thats the case, maybe you need to re-evaluate your thoughts on what maes a good horror flick. I'm not saying Jason X is a masterpiece, but it looks like Evil Dead 2 next to H:R.

DefJeff
07-13-2002, 05:51 PM
i liked Jason X ALOT

i think it blows this movie away

im surprised a couple of yous liked it, i thought it was really awful, even for a Halloween sequal

Dave
07-13-2002, 06:35 PM
And I really hate how they turned Michael into an acrobat. In both H20 and H:R they have him hiding up on the fucking ceiling, only to lower himself down very slowly using just one arm.

Loced Out Demon
07-13-2002, 06:39 PM
I agree with def jeff, jason x was better.

Suicide
07-13-2002, 07:32 PM
You guys should see the horror forum over at JoBlo.com, the people there absolutely ate this one up. Theres like 40 "loved it" people to 3 "hated it" people. I haven't seen the movie and have no desire to see it so I can't comment. I just thought it was funny. I saw Dave's hilarious bashing of it over here, so I went over to JoBlo, actually "The Arrow" handles the horror over there, anyway and they thought it was great. Not the Arrow or Joblo, the people over on the forum. But I think a lot of them are like 15 year old kids with names like michael_myers'_son or some other variation of the words michael and myers. They could've made any movie with michael in it, they would've loved it.
Not that I care, I'm not making fun of anyone who enjoyed it, people can like what they want to like. I just found the contrast between the reviews hilarious.

Dave
07-13-2002, 08:10 PM
Well, I think this forum tends to have less of the Screamy Boppers, which suits me just fine. That's not to say people who like Halloween: R are screamy boppers. If anything, H20 is much more of a Screamy Bopper movie.

mcchrist
07-13-2002, 09:26 PM
My god, Dave! After reading your description of the movie, there's now way in hell I'd watch anything like that. There is nothing to cling to long enough to let suspension of disbelief to sink in. Who cares if the guy who played Michael Myers looks and walks like Mikey, I could care less about the damn mask... If you're going to do a sequel, put some thought into it and spare me the psychological pain of having to sit through another one. Talk about dead horse scenario...

J.H. "Have not seen American Psycho 2... Never will!" McChrist

thrashard76
07-13-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the movie review Dave. I haven't watched it yet but I'll rent it and Jason X when they get their proper rental release. ;) On the other hand, Mr. Deeds rocked....funny as hell. :D True Sandler-isms. ;)

WesReviews
07-14-2002, 12:36 AM
I'm as far removed from the "screamy-bopper" type as one could possibly be and I loved Halloween: Resurrection.

I thought it was more in line with the old-school Friday the 13ths really than the Halloween films, but still enjoyable if you're a fan of either series. Quite a surprisingly enjoyable film.

Dave
07-14-2002, 01:13 AM
*cough cough*

http://www.horrordvds.com/images/wes.jpg

:D

rxfiend
07-14-2002, 02:36 AM
i seen H8 today and actually enjoyed it. going in, i thought it'd suck some major ass, but it turned out decent.

DefJeff
07-14-2002, 02:49 AM
maybe im in the minority, but i havnet liked the Michael Myers mask since Halloween 2. this ones mask was better then it has been, but i think it really sucked still

jeffschmidt
07-14-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Dave
*cough cough*

http://www.horrordvds.com/images/wes.jpg

:D

Ohhhh snap! :D (just kiddin', Wes)

I haven't seen H:R yet so maybe I shouldn't be too down on it - after all, the opinions being expressed here vary to a huge degree.

One thing that kind of irked me, though, was an interview with Busta Rhymes I saw on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" the other night. When asked what he thought of the previous Halloween movies he said that he hadn't seen any of them until working on H:R. Now that just pisses me off. There must be a ton of talented people out there who truly care about Halloween & horror as a genre, yet they put some schmuck like Busta Rhymes in the flick :mad:

Maybe if "Like Mike" does well enough they can cast Li'l Bow Wow in Halloween 9...

Hellbilly
07-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Looks like a love it/hate it kinda film.
Still gonna wait till it hits DVD though.

rxfiend
07-14-2002, 07:16 AM
for those curious, i decided to track down a copy of H8 on the net to see if it was a workprint version or the same as the theatrical cut (as i heard a workprint has been leaked). well i found the last 16 mins of H8 in divx format (slowly, but surely, the whole movie is starting to appear on some p2p networks) and guess what, it's slightly different! the main difference is the very ending.

spoilers:

Instead of the worker at the morgue getting scared by michael, in this version, the movie is still at the fire scene and a crime scene investigator has arrived. she looks down one of the manholes and sure enough, michael jumps up to give her a scare! i haven't gotten the first part of the movie, so i'm not sure what else is different. but for collectors/bootleggers, you may want to try and get this!

Pukenstein
07-14-2002, 02:41 PM
It was decent. But after Strode's death, it got real boring for 45 mins, then picked up a little at the end. The only part that was interesting was seeing Michael's room. Who's house has all those secret underground rooms? Hopefully Eight Legged Freaks will be better.

Egg_Shen
07-14-2002, 06:50 PM
Honestly, Donald Pleasence was a huge part of why I liked any of the Halloween sequels. H2O was not as enjoyable for me with him out of the picture, but at least it had Curtis to push the film along to a satisfying climax. Without Curtis and Pleasence there’s really nothing going for it, and this film was absolutely horrible.

On another note, did anyone else become annoyed by the use of sound in the film? It seems Rosenthal realized he had no scares in the film, so he decided to bombard the audience with an onslaught of noise. Weird retellings continuously circling around, and huge vibrations when nothing at all was happening. All it succeeded in was giving me a headache.

rhett
07-14-2002, 08:57 PM
I drove 4 hours to see this baby, and although it could have been better, I enjoyed it, and found it to be one of the better Halloween sequels.

I really enjoyed the opening with Laurie Strode, and I thought the explination for the ending in H20 was decent, and a whole lot better than having the killer in H20 be a copycat a la Friday 5. Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job with the minimal screentime she had, showing us why she gave the first film the life that it had. She doesn't exercise her lungs here, but she truly looks battered and beaten, a woman so tormented by the thoughts of her older brother that life to her now means nothing.

Initially I had thought what you said Dave, "Why the hell would Laurie check to see if it is Michael, after he deliberately chased her." But her checking could make sense on a few levels. One would be a paranoia of harming the innocent once again, and when someone gets in that mindset it becomes compulsive and nearly uncontrollable to check. Add that to Laurie's loss of the desire for life, and it makes sense. I think in some manner, Laurie wanted Michael to throw her off, as if to end the anguish she has suffered for nearly 25 years. I perceived her thoughts as being "either I kill him with the chance of it being a bystander, or I submit and let evil take over me." Laurie has given up on life, and she let Michael do what she has wanted to do for years now, end her life.

What I thought was another interesting angle in the film, was how much Laurie and Michael resembled each other in appearance. It is as if through all his stalking and killing Michael has made Laurie an extension of himself. Both have become mute and emotionless, and both have an aged face with large bags around the eyes. There is so much darkness around Laurie's eyes, moreso than even for Michael, and I think Rosenthal wanted to show the connection between the two.

The best shot in the film, worthy of the price of admission in my mind, was when Laurie and Michael were hanging off the roof arm in arm. For once the cat and mouse have been brought together, and the shot is really excellent. A brother and sister finally united by death, what a thought.

As much as I loved the start of the film, I thought the other half was decent in comparison. I thought that it did have some good ideas though, and that the webcam plot was explored with some creativity. I really liked how Decker talked to Sara on the palm pilot device, telling her where the killer is. I've never seen that in a horror film before (perhaps it was in Hell Asylum?) and I thoguht it not only heightened the suspense, but it also helped get the viewer involved. By having the reaction shots at Decker's party of all the people viewing what I was, it gave me an increased feeling of involvement, and the emotional effect it the happenings gave me was increased.

I agree with Wes in saying that Brad Loree did a fabulous job with Michael. This was perhaps the scariest masked killer ever on film next to the original's Nick Castle. Forget Kane Hodder or any other Jason or Michael actor, Loree was downright creepy, and his mannerisms were perfect. I liked the fact that Michael was no longer a body builder like he had become in Parts 4 & 5. He looks like a regular Joe in terms of size, but that makes it more realistic. Loree's performance, coupled with the best Mask since the original, bring Michael back to a scariness not acheived since the original.

There were some cool kills in the movie (the mirror one, head tumble and door stabbing), and the film looked pretty good. I love the scope ratio, and Rosenthal directs it in the same way he did in Part 2, providing scared throughout the frame. The acting was also fairly good, and one of the best in terms of the Halloween series. Although under used, I thought Bianca Kajlich made a great new Laurie Strode-ish heroin. Sean Patrick Thomas was pretty cool too, although the writing he had to deal with was at times rough (as if anyone would want to know the kind of parslee Michael Myers ate!).

The exception to the good acting was of course Busta Rhymes. I knew right from the start he was going to weigh down the film, and that he did. He was actually quite reserved and decent through the first half of the movie, but as soon as he started battling Michael he started pissing me off. He was acting like he was funny and needed to make the audience laugh at him during a part that should have been filled with suspense. His ninja sounds were embarassing, and he made the climax less effective than it could have been.

Overall, I enjoyed it nearly as much as Rosenthal's other Halloween film. It could have benefitted from excluding Busta from the finale and tightening up the middle part of the film, but I thought the opening with Laurie explored some new ground and gave the series a new layer of story. Jamie Lee brought in another great performance, and her similarities to Michael in this film are too obvious to be overlooked as a mere coincidence. There was something I think Rosenthal wanted to say about the relationship between the two characters, and I admire what he did with the finished project. If only the rest of the film were as interesting and layered as the opening was.

What we have here is a great short film mixed with a decent one.

Agent Z
07-14-2002, 10:27 PM
Maybe if "Like Mike" does well enough they can cast Li'l Bow Wow in Halloween 9...

....well.......Lil' Bow Wow is slated to appear in RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP along with ANOTHER rapper co-star........it's like they are PUNISHING the genre fans on purpose sometimes......:(

mcchrist
07-14-2002, 11:03 PM
....well.......Lil' Bow Wow is slated to appear in RETURN TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP along with ANOTHER rapper co-star........it's like they are PUNISHING the genre fans on purpose sometimes......

You're kidding... right?

Feh!

Jason25
07-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Couldn't disagree more Dave.

I thought H8 was good - the opening sequence was amazing, sure it had it's flaws as well as some dubious casting choices but I thought it worked. I'd have no problems at all recommending this one!

Fizban
07-15-2002, 06:59 AM
I can't begin to describe how much I hated this movie. I gathered up a bunch of my friends and set out for a 2-hour road trip to see this movie. The first fifteen minutes were ok. Even at that point though I started get this sick feeling in my stomach. After that everything went downhill. Thirty minutes into the movie and I seriously began to consider asking my friends if they wanted to leave and go get something to eat (or watch paint dry). Busta Rhymes did his absolute best to destroy this franchise for me. I came out of this movie with a determination I've never had about a series before, and that is a determination never to see a Halloween movie again. I felt really bad for dragging my friends all that way, having them pay 8 dollars for a movie ticket, and having them sit through garbage like that. I was ashamed to be a horror fan. Sorry for the senseless rant, but I had to let off some steam.

They should rename this movie

Halloween
Mutha Fuc*a
or
Halloween
Desecration

novaguy2000
07-15-2002, 06:44 PM
I was actually entertained with H8...compared to the travesty that I consider H6 (and H5, to a degree) was...and compared to the crap that has been Friday the 13th parts 8-10 (how they get worse is beyond me, but they keep topping themsleves!)....H8 was fun. I'd rank the series thusly:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween 2
3. H20
4/5. H4 and H8 (can't decide which goes where)
6. H3
7. H5-Revenge of MM
8. H6-Curse of MM

Little disappointed that Jamie Lee would allow that character to be killed off, although I suppose she could still be alive (but I highly doubt she would return for another installment).

I thought Busta Rhymes was the worst part of the movie...but he wasn't as highly annoying as I feared.

And what was with the waste of Tyra Banks? She diappears! I can see how being a supermodel and all, she probably had some deal where we wouldn't see her getting murdered, but there could have been some stalk/chase stuff, at least.

And I know she had something cut from the film, because in some of the commercials, you see her looking scared outside in front of the house, and that scene was no where to be found. Hopefully, that will make the DVD!

All in all, this was OK...and much better in the Halloween series than Jason X was in the F13th series...

WesReviews
07-18-2002, 11:29 PM
lol. Damn, how many more posts until I get out of the "screamy bopper" category? lol.

rhett
07-19-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by WesReviews
lol. Damn, how many more posts until I get out of the "screamy bopper" category? lol.
2. :D

Behemoth
07-21-2002, 11:12 PM
I watched H8 today, and thought it was pretty boring. The explanation how Michael survived H20 really sucked, but I guess it could have been worse - the filmmakers could have pretended that H20 never happened, for example. Busta Rhymes' kung fu stuff was just awful, and the screenplay was EXTREMELY short on logic. I didn't really expect much, and I got what I expected: Not much. Too bad.

My Halloween series (with Michael Myers) rating:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween 4
3. Halloween 2
3. Halloween H20
5. Halloween 8
6. Halloween 6
7. Halloween 5

thrashard76
07-22-2002, 07:09 AM
Oh hell, why not. ;)

Top Five:

1. Halloween
2. Halloween 2
3. Halloween H20
3. Halloween 6
5. Halloween 3

mcchrist
07-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Indeed, why not:

1: Halloween
2: Halloween 3
3: Halloween 2
4: Halloween 4
5: Halloween 5
6: Halloween 6

The final two: ignored.

Jamm
07-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Okay, I'm sure that after all the death/resurrection/death/resurrection that his frnachise has seen, they'll find some way to bring Laurie back to life for yet another movie.

If only Jamie Lee had the sense to call it quits after H20, then this whole piece of poop might never have been made!!!

thrashard76
07-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Jamm,

They'd probably get some teeny bopper actor to play Jamie Lee's part in the movie...and that would have been worse. :( But then again, a ressurected Laurie would be interesting...hmm? :rolleyes:

mutleyhyde
07-24-2002, 09:23 AM
WesReviews
Victim

Congrats Wes!! :D

boogeyman16
07-26-2002, 07:02 AM
Eh I agree. Why not.

1. Halloween 1
2. Halloween 2
3. Halloween 4
4. Halloween 8
5. Halloween 6
6. H20
7. Halloween 5
On another note. I still can't figure out why the screenwriters have never thought to bring back the Tommy Doyle character. Six had the right idea, and so did the comic book. Micheal needs a nemesis now that Jamie Lee is gone, and Tommy could be to Micheal what Tommy Jarvis was to Jason.

Cydeous
07-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Being a screamy bopper and all, I didn't hate <B>Halloween: Resurrection</B> as much as I thought I would. I didn't particularly like the beginning because it felt lifeless. Although I do understand why Laurie wanted to lift the mask first... she was a mental patient! The last portion of the movie was predictable. I was hoping that all of the characters would be killed off but I knew that the screamer and Busta Rhymes would survive.

Redeeming qualities:
1. Explained the boogey man in terms of Jungian philosophy.
2. The homage to <B>Peeping Tom</B> was cool.
3. The slagging of "reality TV" was great.

Here's my list:
1. Halloween
2. H3
3. H2
4. H4
5. H5
6. H8
7. H20
8. H6

My idea for H9:
Continue on with the <B>Halloween III: Season of the Witch</B> story. A possible title: <B>Halloween IX: Season of the Witch II</B>.

TobalRox
08-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Ok, I'd like to start off by saying that I enjoyed this movie for what it was, which is an 8TH movie in a series... you can't expect much greatness when it comes to that (no matter what, this movie would have been better than Friday 8 :D ) Anyway, it was entertaining, but of course it had it's problems. I had seen H20 in theaters when it first came out, but that was before I had seen any of the other movies (I was just getting into horror at the time) so I went back and rewatched it the night before I saw H8 (whcih was 2 days ago). i think that H20 gets a lot of crap because it has that girl from Dawson's Creek, but I felt it was a decent sequel and left a good ending, but Mustapha likes his money, so he had them film the flashback stuff for H8 THEN.. so that logic of the other paramedic has been in the can for around 4 years now.... that was Steve Minor at work folks, so you can't really blame the director of H8. I think what might have added to my enjoyment of H8 though is the fact that I saw it at a drive-in with my girlfriend, which really heightened the experience. If the DVD is not ridiculously expensive like most other Disney DVDs, I will pick it up and hopefully it will have some of the cut scenes like Tyra's death (it was shot, just cut from the film).

THe DaRk ShApE
08-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by rhett
I drove 4 hours to see this baby, and although it could have been better, I enjoyed it, and found it to be one of the better Halloween sequels.

I really enjoyed the opening with Laurie Strode, and I thought the explination for the ending in H20 was decent, and a whole lot better than having the killer in H20 be a copycat a la Friday 5. Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job with the minimal screentime she had, showing us why she gave the first film the life that it had. She doesn't exercise her lungs here, but she truly looks battered and beaten, a woman so tormented by the thoughts of her older brother that life to her now means nothing.

Initially I had thought what you said Dave, "Why the hell would Laurie check to see if it is Michael, after he deliberately chased her." But her checking could make sense on a few levels. One would be a paranoia of harming the innocent once again, and when someone gets in that mindset it becomes compulsive and nearly uncontrollable to check. Add that to Laurie's loss of the desire for life, and it makes sense. I think in some manner, Laurie wanted Michael to throw her off, as if to end the anguish she has suffered for nearly 25 years. I perceived her thoughts as being "either I kill him with the chance of it being a bystander, or I submit and let evil take over me." Laurie has given up on life, and she let Michael do what she has wanted to do for years now, end her life.

What I thought was another interesting angle in the film, was how much Laurie and Michael resembled each other in appearance. It is as if through all his stalking and killing Michael has made Laurie an extension of himself. Both have become mute and emotionless, and both have an aged face with large bags around the eyes. There is so much darkness around Laurie's eyes, moreso than even for Michael, and I think Rosenthal wanted to show the connection between the two.

The best shot in the film, worthy of the price of admission in my mind, was when Laurie and Michael were hanging off the roof arm in arm. For once the cat and mouse have been brought together, and the shot is really excellent. A brother and sister finally united by death, what a thought.

As much as I loved the start of the film, I thought the other half was decent in comparison. I thought that it did have some good ideas though, and that the webcam plot was explored with some creativity. I really liked how Decker talked to Sara on the palm pilot device, telling her where the killer is. I've never seen that in a horror film before (perhaps it was in Hell Asylum?) and I thoguht it not only heightened the suspense, but it also helped get the viewer involved. By having the reaction shots at Decker's party of all the people viewing what I was, it gave me an increased feeling of involvement, and the emotional effect it the happenings gave me was increased.

I agree with Wes in saying that Brad Loree did a fabulous job with Michael. This was perhaps the scariest masked killer ever on film next to the original's Nick Castle. Forget Kane Hodder or any other Jason or Michael actor, Loree was downright creepy, and his mannerisms were perfect. I liked the fact that Michael was no longer a body builder like he had become in Parts 4 & 5. He looks like a regular Joe in terms of size, but that makes it more realistic. Loree's performance, coupled with the best Mask since the original, bring Michael back to a scariness not acheived since the original.

There were some cool kills in the movie (the mirror one, head tumble and door stabbing), and the film looked pretty good. I love the scope ratio, and Rosenthal directs it in the same way he did in Part 2, providing scared throughout the frame. The acting was also fairly good, and one of the best in terms of the Halloween series. Although under used, I thought Bianca Kajlich made a great new Laurie Strode-ish heroin. Sean Patrick Thomas was pretty cool too, although the writing he had to deal with was at times rough (as if anyone would want to know the kind of parslee Michael Myers ate!).

The exception to the good acting was of course Busta Rhymes. I knew right from the start he was going to weigh down the film, and that he did. He was actually quite reserved and decent through the first half of the movie, but as soon as he started battling Michael he started pissing me off. He was acting like he was funny and needed to make the audience laugh at him during a part that should have been filled with suspense. His ninja sounds were embarassing, and he made the climax less effective than it could have been.

Overall, I enjoyed it nearly as much as Rosenthal's other Halloween film. It could have benefitted from excluding Busta from the finale and tightening up the middle part of the film, but I thought the opening with Laurie explored some new ground and gave the series a new layer of story. Jamie Lee brought in another great performance, and her similarities to Michael in this film are too obvious to be overlooked as a mere coincidence. There was something I think Rosenthal wanted to say about the relationship between the two characters, and I admire what he did with the finished project. If only the rest of the film were as interesting and layered as the opening was.

What we have here is a great short film mixed with a decent one.

I think H:R is one of the best sequels in the series. Brad Loree defintally is the best Michael he's menacing he's creepy he's got the Michael mannerisms down pat but that brings me to what you said bout him being more regular in his size this is not right Brad is probably the second biggest Michael he's 6'3'' 220lbs the biggest Michael was played by A. Michael Lerner he played him in the last 20 minutes of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers he was 6'4'' 230lbs. The most regular sized actor to play him was the Original Nick Castle 6' 180lbs then Dick Worlock in H:2

rhett
08-21-2002, 06:08 PM
Well, other than the specifics, Loree certainly looked a lot smaller and more natural than Donald Shanks did in Part 5.

THe DaRk ShApE
08-21-2002, 07:13 PM
Well to me ''and alot of other people" Don Shanks was not that physically intimidating and he wasn't that big either George Wilbur was alot bigger and threatining. But plan and simple Brad Loree is hands down the best Michael ever i mean he was Michael and not just some other big guy walking around in a Myers Mask the first time i saw him walking in past the security moniter in the beginning he gave me the creeps and Other than Chris Durand in H20 he is the only actor to play Michael that you saw his eyes ,and with the mix of wearing black contacts and Loree's cold creepy eyes that's another thing that gave me the heebie jeebies especially after he crushes ****Spoiler***** Jim's skull then he gave Sara and Rudy that cold stare tell me that didn't get under you're Skin just alittle. Large intimidating and creepy as hell that is how i would discribe Loree as "The Shape".