PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Pulp Fiction disc

jscott
07-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Anyone have this release? I won it on Ebay a few days ago, and was wondering how the audio/video quality is. Any info will be greatley appreciated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1547610592&ed=1026272356&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOA:US:2

Paff
07-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Hmm...never heard or seen, so I don't know. The separate music soundtrack might be a nice thing to have though.

As far as Pulp Fiction goes though, the domestic LD is outstanding. In fact, I recently picked up the Criterion edition, just to get the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, and was surprised when I found out it doesn't hold a candle to the THX Pro-Logic track on the regular edition.

A big Special Edition DVD is on it's way, but I'd be surprised if it sounds as good as that old THX laser.

KillerCannabis
07-14-2002, 08:22 PM
I'll bet that the new SE DVD due on 8/20 will be even better than the LD. BV put a lot of effort into this release and I for one dont think they're going to let me down.

Paff
07-14-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis
I'll bet that the new SE DVD due on 8/20 will be even better than the LD. BV put a lot of effort into this release and I for one dont think they're going to let me down.

No offense man, but I'm not so confident. Why? Well, let's consider the sound. There is a THX Pro-Logic mix, a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix, and a DTS 5.1 mix. We already know the DTS track WON'T be on the DVD, and DVD can't do Pro-Logic as well as Laser. I've heard the 5.1 mix, and it's good, but not as good as the Pro-Logic. Most people have never heard that old LD, so they won't know that a better soundtrack exists. Thus, they can put on that inferior 5.1 track and no one will know the difference.

I'll probably buy the new DVD, but there's no way I'm dumping the old laser. Yes, the anamorphic transfer will be great, but I don't have a 16x9 screen yet, and the LD looks pretty damned good, I doubt the DVD will look that much better on my 4x3 screen. The DVD I'll keep for the extras, but for watching the movie, I'll probably stick to the laser.

jscott
07-24-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Hmm...never heard or seen, so I don't know. The separate music soundtrack might be a nice thing to have though.

Got the disc today, and no isolated audio track. Bummer. Oh well, at least the transfer is just as nice as the THX standard release, with the subs completely in the matte bars.