PDA

View Full Version : Universal Snappers / Langella's Dracula

mutleyhyde
01-05-2001, 05:19 AM
Aren't the Universal snapper bargains out there great? Picked up Langella's Dracula this weekend for ten bucks. I'd never seen this Dracula before, and I liked it pretty dang good. The transfer could have been a little brighter and colorful, but then that could've been the way it was filmed. It was a very dirty print with constant artifacts, but that didn't distract me too much. The acting wasn't terrific, but the sets were grotesque (the art form, not the verb) and the scenic outdoor shots very grand. And, of course, there was Mr. Pleasance and Mr. Olivier. A cult favorite and one of the old masters, together for our viewing pleasure. Not one of their more shining moments, but definitely worth ten bucks! By the way, can anyone tell me why this was rated R? I didn't catch any foul language, and, to my dismay, there wasn't a hint of nudity. There wasn't even hardly any gore, unless you consider the dolly prop they used for a baby (that was weeeak!). What gives? I recommend this film on looks mostly, yet the story and acting were decent, and the score was very good. I'd say it was a bargain.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 06:15 AM
The one scene that stood out from Langella's Dracula was when they faced a decaying Lucy in the crypts.
Also, the Prince of Darkness disc from Image/Universal was good for the cheap price.
M. Hyde, I didn't know Silent Running (Excellent flick!) was out on DVD! I'll hunt for it tomorrow.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

mutleyhyde
01-05-2001, 06:39 AM
Yeah man, that was one of the first ever dvds I wanted, but I just couldn't pay 20-25 for the bare bones disc. I got it for ten bucks at Sunboast finally, and just a couple of weeks ago at that. It is a great flick, I'm glad you agree. Sometimes we forget about sci-fi before the F/X extraveganzas Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, etc., but it was there and it had a conscience. Others that come to mind are Logan's Run, Rollerball, Planet of the Apes, even Soylent Green and, of course, 2001. Many people today look at these films and just say they're cheesy because the F/X aren't kick-ass or the music is that horrible post hippie, 70's easy listening fluff (Joan Baez RULES dude! Uhh...). Anyway, these films made one think about socially conscious issues like over-population, nuclear power disasters and mass social de-sensitivity. That's why they were so powerful, even without big CGI and Industrial Light and Magic. Ehh, I'll get off my soap-box. I'm just glad you like the flick too.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

ArrowBeach
01-05-2001, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
Sometimes we forget about sci-fi before the F/X extraveganzas Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, etc., but it was there and it had a conscience. Others that come to mind are Logan's Run, Rollerball, Planet of the Apes, even Soylent Green and, of course, 2001. .

Dont forget ZARDOZ, NO BLADE OF GLASS, PHASE 4, CLONUS HORROR, FORBIN PROJECT, DAMNATION ALLEY!

Mark Relford
01-05-2001, 07:15 AM
I agree. Unlike the big CGI extravaganzas of today, those movies had heart. Good sci-fi movies are rare these days. Speaking of Rollerball, I saw a teaser poster for the upcoming remake.

------------------

mutleyhyde
01-05-2001, 07:22 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention; Gattaca really reminded me of these types of movies. Let's hope the new Rollerball has heart, although I doubt it. Do you remember the opening credits to the original? Mesmerizing! AB, I've always wanted to check out Zardoz. Sounds like it's gonna get the dvd treatment soon. I'll definitely give it a look.

------------------

M. Hyde

Jasondog
01-05-2001, 02:16 PM
JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! JON-A-THAN! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

jae
01-05-2001, 10:50 PM
What do you guys think of Dan Curtis' Dracula with Jack Palance? It looks pretty good, maybe a bit cheesy but that doesn't bother me. I rented it, it should be here tomorrow.

But thats a pretty good deal too with 2 movies on 1 disc for $19.99.

mutleyhyde
01-06-2001, 01:03 AM
Palance rules. I don't remember seeing these flicks, but I'd definitely check 'em out.

------------------

M. Hyde

landrvr
01-06-2001, 01:21 AM
not to rain on everyone's parade, but are you guys friggin' serious about Langella's Dracula? i've always thought that film was godawful boring and godawful stupid.

as with Clash of the Titans, i do believe that Olivier went on record several times to say how much he regretted doing the film.

but, for 10 bucks.....

mutleyhyde
01-06-2001, 01:54 AM
Yes, I am being serious. I thought the film looked GREAT. I really liked the camera work, the color scheme (once I got used to the fact that it just wasn't going to get any brighter), the outdoor scenery, the indoor sets (Carfax Abbey and the sanitorium looked terrific!), the extensive, highly detailed props, and the authentic period wardrobe. I did think the story was the same par for the course, age old tired song and dance (Langella even reciting at least two Lugosi lines verbatim), however I thought it worked well enough and was far from stupid, even with sub-par acting considered. But that's just me. As for being boring, the pace was slower than modern hollywood fare, and there aren't a lot of wild F/X (the sea-storm scenes were pretty good though) or gore, but as I've stated earlier in this very topic, I don't think a movie has to be exciting to be powerful, or at least entertaining. Again, this one reminded me of Hammer films, with a subtle style and grace that may not be to everyone's liking. It is definitely to mine though.

Still though, nobody's come clean with a reason for the R rating. Any takers?
------------------

M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-05-2001).]

Mark Relford
01-06-2001, 04:24 AM
landrvr, I love Clash of the Titans! I want this sucker on DVD! And what ever happened to the Krull SE? (Columbia, wake the f*ck up and release it!)

Speaking of Rollerball, here are some pics: http://www.us.imdb.com/Gallery?0246894;;1

And here's the rather lame teaser poster: http://www.us.imdb.com/Posters?0246894

Now, where's the 2-disc SE of Solarbabies? http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------

JBENE
01-06-2001, 05:55 AM
I work at a SUNCOAST and alot of horror films had gone down in price.They don't have any extras but films like THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS,THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW,GHOST STORY, and others are out there.

Mark Relford
01-06-2001, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by JBENE:
I work at a SUNCOAST and alot of horror films had gone down in price.They don't have any extras but films like THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS,THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW,GHOST STORY, and others are out there.

I checked on The Serpent & the Rainbow and Ghost Story at the Image site. They list them as discontinued. So, I guess I'll add them to the list. Thanks, JBENE! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

Vincent Pina
01-07-2001, 05:08 AM
Yeah, just where the hell is the Krull SE??!!!!!??????? And in the same fantasy realm, what about The Neverending Story?